1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Exile / Dominion . Which side are you on??

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Fiarre Catcher, Apr 27, 2014.

1. Fiarre Catcher

Fiarre Catcher New Cupcake

I am curious as to will the two sides be balanced. I have tried both starting areas and to me it seemed Exile area had a busy starting zone. What does everyone else think? I know which side I'm choosing.. ;)
  2. t209

t209 Cupcake

Let's see
    - I joined the Dominion as a lowborn Cassian Engineer, thinking myself as an mary sue average joe who needs dough by going to Nexus under contract (He is willing to side with villainy, which he's happy enough to attack Aurins' camps, and heroism, which he did not attack innocent people and hated outlaw groups.
    - The Exiles' one is either older me or the dad of my character who defected to Exiles after his disgust during Ravaging of Arboria (Well, he did some FCON duties before leaving to pursuit scientific endeavor; however, he did aided during Galeras Campaign).
    - The next planned characters are an Exile Warrior (the fellow deserters of my character's dad, who speaks in South African accent and a bit anti heroic but friendly towards Aurin) and his Aurin Gunslinger (the Warrior rescued him after saving him from burning village).
    Fiarre Catcher likes this.
  3. coolster50

coolster50 Cupcake

Exile, because Exlies rock! Bounded in Exile!
    Fiarre Catcher likes this.
  4. Pejo

Pejo Cupcake-About-Town

It does look like it'll be very balanced from the numerous polls I have seen. I recommend checking out http://watchwildstar.com/census (absolutely love the look of tis site and has a responsive design for mobile).

I'll be a Dominion Male Draken Warrior myself
  5. Felion

Felion Cupcake-About-Town

Very nice census indeed, faction race class gender path role and server type, all in there. The fact that the numbers distribute so nicely is at the same time expected yet reassuring. The only thing that surprised me was the server type, apparently there's a lot more people going to PvP servers compared to PvE, we shall see if that is indeed the case 3 months after launch.

My heart lies with the Dominion, especially after doing their quests in early areas (well I did all quests in all areas for both sides before 25, and I prefer the story lines in the Dominion side). BUT, I prefer how some of the races look in the exile, and too bad I'm shallow like that, so I'm going with the Exiles. Having said that, I'm going to be that exile openly criticizing Commander Durek for his blinded-by-hatred decision making, I'm going to be that Aurin that fights against eco-terrorism. The only race that I do not have some kind of problem with (in terms of ideology) is Mordesh, they have a "we do what we have to do, no excuses and no fake ethics" mentality, which is really a typical Dominion mentality. The exile humans are alright, albeit WAY too absorbed in heroism and throwing ethics around like if they know what it means (some do, but 99% of them don't, they heard a word, they're told that it's good, so they use it in every sentence for the rest of their lives). But then again, given they are humans, that mentality isn't exactly uncommon so I certainly have already gotten used to it. So it's not THAT bad compared to, say, those Granoks who are treating overt aggression and irrationality not as a necessary evil/inevitable consequence, but rather as a virtue/pride in and of itself. Once upon a time, in rural areas around some parts of the world, say 100 years ago, I can see this mentality as quite main-stream. But too bad I'm not 100 years old, so I'm not used to it, in fact since it often goes directly against what I prefer to see in the world, I'd much rather steer away from them rock dudes, RP wise. Sorry Granoks.

The Dominion has problems, but that's the beauty of it --- They're past the stage where they need to think of themselves as "completely righteous and good" and brain wash themselves into thinking that their enemies are "the ultimate evil". They accept that there are corruption and constant disagreement within their ranks, and they try their best to battle/cleanse, steering the future into a path that they'd like to see. And I like seeing that kind of, well, maturity.

Within the Dominion there are excessive loggers and there are high ranking conservationists, there are corrupt officials and officials tracking down these corruptions, there are caste systems but there are protective laws guarding low class citizens, it's complex and interesting. It strikes that balance and composure and complex structure because it has a long history, it has withstands countless conflicts both from within and from outside forces. We don't see these direct internal conflicts in the Exile, which instead of making it look like heaven united, to me it concerns me as "these people haven't even thought about these things. It's not going to last. Give it 10 years and they'll collapse from within". How would Aurins be OK with every other ally eating tons of meat and cutting down trees to build homes? How would they be OK with the Mordesh sucking out life energy from nature to sustain themselves? We see a glimpse of minor arguments between the Aurin and the others regarding these issues, but I think FAR more problems are hidden from us players, and maybe to the Aurins themselves. They're currently refugees, they put up with many things. But when they settle down and try to get back to "their old ways", would they be able to adapt to a new mentality? How much of their "old ways" are they willing to sacrifice for the sake of the alliance, and how are they going to be at peace with it? I am quite certain that just "don't mention the problem ever" is going to make every single Aurin adapt peacefully. Some are going to be torn from within and there will be no proper guidance for them because no one talks about it. They're the ones who'll eventually lash out in extreme actions against enemies and friends alike. They may extend eco-terrorism or constant pressure to allies in a way that will quickly sour the internal alliance. In Granoks, we see that even within their own ranks there are already disagreements. Surely, other races might have problems with how they do things. So I am going to be an exile that is critical towards other exiles. I mean, clearly, if everyone in the Exile think that what the Dominion does doesn't make sense, then the Exiles are certainly doomed --- You simply can't overthrow the theory of relativity without first understanding its beauty.

I don't know why it turned into a huge post again, it's late at night I guess...
    t209 and Fiarre Catcher like this.
  6. Fiarre Catcher

Fiarre Catcher New Cupcake

Excellent link Pejo! It answers all my questions :)
  7. t209

t209 Cupcake

Well, the Dominion is kinda pragmatic compared to other evil empire, well a "bit" cartoonishly evil.
    - They overthrew a corrupt emperor Vorias (either he's a reformer who killed Jarec for Caste System and given a Stalin editing or killed Jarec when he decided to change his mind on Caste System after Brightland Rebellion).
    If it wasn't a hologram and Ravaging of Arboria, Myrcalus would be Wildstar equivalent to Theodore Kurita or Tsun Zu Liao.
    - The Highborn families in Auroria was disgusted at Vandorin's killing of Lowborn for Sports.
    - Nationalizing a quarry Protostar Corporation and giving back to Communist Freebots.
    - Banning Slavery and persecuting slavers.
  8. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

Dominion, but because of technical complications. My heart is Exile through and through.
  9. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

Exile! Because I like the aurin's history. And Exiles are all like "Anarchy! Down with the system!" and also chua are gross and smelly.
    Xlugon Pyro likes this.
  10. Bloodclott

Bloodclott Cupcake

Both, I will try to differentiate my characters from the race stereotype. My first character is a male aurin esper who is unhinged after witnessing what happened on Arboria and is rather creative with how he hunts and kills with his mind projections, an female Mordesh who maintains a upbeat demeanor to keep herself sane after Grismara , an female Draken whom loves nature but is still a great hunter (She and my aurin are rivals and occasional teammates when it comes to the threats of the Strain) and a Dominion human who was drafted in as a pacifist yet ended up becoming a sharpshooter.

I am honestly not too sure about the last two though, I love the Mechari but I don't know how you would twist them around. I kind of like the Granok but there size bothers me (I always liked the non bulky races)
  11. Felion

Well the Mechari is loyal to the Dominion that's hard to twist indeed, but who's "Dominion"? Maybe it's the state government decisions, maybe it's the emperor himself, or maybe it's bigger than the emperor. He could be really putting him out there to represent the low born because "class conflicts is one of the greatest cause of unrest and a potential threat to the well being of the Dominion, yet the low born are responsible for the production of daily needs of the empire, hence a good strategy is to elevate their satisfaction in most efficient manner to ensure harmony." Something like that. Or maybe he has suspicions that the emperor is under control of corrupt officials, and determined to carry out secret missions to uncover the truth about the emperor right now. Basically doesn't need to play to the exact same card because everyone is patriotic in different ways, even amongst Mechari. :D

Granok, I can't help you there nor would I want to! :p

I remember those quests! And giving out medicines to low born citizens in Hycrest, assisting in stopping poachers and helping the Conservationist in Deradune, cracking down on high level corruption as well. It's a pragmatic organization, as any gigantic cross-galaxy empires would necessarily be. As a citizen (well, soldier really but nonetheless) of the Dominion looking from within, the Dominion is a good place to be. There could be improvements and many are actively working on it, but it's in general a good place to be with all the support and care systems already in place. Where as the Exiles, in the eyes of the Dominion citizens, are simply terrorists. Doesn't matter what fancy slogans they're shouting out (oh the citizens heard them well enough, they just don't give a damn and think those are none sense), in the end the Exiles are just spreading deadly virus amongst innocent citizens and doing desperate/savage crimes (albeit, more an annoyance than real trouble).
  12. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

I just had the most evil laugh ever! :devilish:

[​IMG]
    Kataryna likes this.
  13. Domi Dayglow

Extatica and Pyro are both Dominion....

You'll never take me alive!
  14. Witless

Witless "That" Cupcake

Granok. Nothing else matters.

Exiles all the way !
  15. Bloodclott

Bloodclott Cupcake

Hmmm you gave me an idea for my Mechari, perhaps he/she would be part of a splinter group of the ICI that does not see the practicality of viewing citizens for deception 24/7 (That spy they find in the Dominion tutorial was incredibly obvious so I doubt they uncovered a serious threat of deception there) and would rather learn what actually has happened in the Dominion's history (The Dommies seem to love to cover up or make propaganda out of some of there failures or atrocities, and it seems they might of actually met the Eldan at one point judging by what you find about Treseryne in Wilderrun.)

I also have the idea (I briefly mentioned a rivalry with my male Aurin and female Draken) that my separate groups of characters on each side would meet up to help each other on there own factions and would adapt a frenemies/respectful type of attitude towards the characters from the other camp ( I imagine this could develop into friends, or hell a really amusing romance). And of course if they face a bigger threat then each other such as the Strain, the Squirg, Ikthians, or Eldan constructs then they'd join up for pragmatic purposes.

I have seen NPCS in the dominion that have shown such traits before so it would not be impossible to see and I do know that Aurin ironically have similar hunting competition's to the Draken
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
  16. Glory

Glory New Cupcake

I'm usually just a lurker on these forums but I can't help but notice this Census poll going around often.. and I feel it is incorrect and misleading. Below is the most recent information from Carbine via a tweet from CRB_Gaffer. (Approximately 1 month old)

Dominion 56%
    Exiles 44%

Dominion
    :

Engi 13%
    ESPer 18%
    Medic 12%
    SS 20%
    Stalker 17%
    Warrior 18%

Exiles:

Engi 19%
    ESPer 12%
    Medic 14%
    SS 17%
    Stalker 17%
    Warrior 19%

Source- http://www.reddit.com/r/WildStar/comments/21bnwo/has_carbine_released_any_metrics_about_population/
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
  17. Hezrou

Hezrou Cupcake-About-Town

Exile for life. Aurin Master Race!

Also, I like this number. Means more Dominion to slaughter!
  18. Domi Dayglow

That number has swayed since last year. At that time Exiles had a 10% advantage. As we near launch (and more people are able to try the game with the pre-order weekends) the Dominion has been growing steadily.

Anyway, more fun numbers from that sight:

PvP Preference by Faction: Dominion 52.6% vs. Exile 47.4%

PvE Preference by Faction: Dominion 45.2% vs. Exile 54.8%

RP Preference by Faction: Dominion 37.3% vs. Exile 62.7%

RP-PvP Preference by Faction: Dominion 48.4% vs. Exile 51.6%

With these ratios in mind we can make a fair guess about the populations of different server types. PvE servers will likely will slightly favor Exiles. RP servers look like they will heavily favor Exiles. At least at first. PvPers seem to prefer the Dominion.
  19. Felion

The Aurin and Draken share quite a bit of similarity, I was surprised too. The Draken protects the animals on their lands and fight off poachers, but more in the sense of a lion pride managing their territory for sustainable resource. I remember in Galeroc that the very last quests involve helping those captured by Osun, which includes some Dommies, and the quest giver's response was "can't care less about the Dommies, but I suppose you've got a conscious, can't throw you for that". Also in the Lopp place in Whitevale, Studrock flirting with huntress Kezzia, you can tell Kezzia was at least a little amused, that's something too. All of this suggests that some lines are blurred within each faction.

A Mechari historian is a great idea, because how can you prepare for the future if you don't know the past? Now, there are many many things that are better hidden than revealed for the good of everyone involved, but there should be that one or two tight-lipped individual who knows what really happened, and these individuals will be invaluable help when the authority needs to make a relevant decision. You know, kinda like defense lawyers. If you didn't do it, we defend you this way. If you did it, we cut our losses and analyze the risk/reward and defend you a different way. But we've gotta first know whether if you did it or not.