1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Faction Population Balance

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Menchi, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Menchi

Menchi Cupcake-About-Town

(Forgive me if this has been beaten to death and I missed the party.)

Anyone who's played WoW (don't throw those shoes at me yet) has likely seen what happens with a faction-base game when one faction begins to greatly outnumber the other. It's a fairly horrendous mess of one group simply never leaving their capital and a rabid group waiting to kill them just outside the gate. Perhaps slightly exaggerated, but you get the idea.

Aion tried to avoid this with faction locks at character creation, and making the population numbers by faction visible on their website. In other words, if one faction outnumbered the other by too much, you could not roll a character for that faction until the imbalance was compensated. Obviously, this can lead to its own issues of guilds/friends ending split up and what not, so it's really not ideal.

What news regarding faction balancing has anyone heard and/or what ideas can we come up with to reduce the effects of or simply prevent imbalance of the populations?

Personally, I feel like openly showing the faction ratio on the server selection screen will go a long ways to help, but I could also see how that could just perpetuate the problem. Is there an elegant solution?

2. Vyver

Vyver "That" Cupcake

Well, both factions have humans, so that's one issue nipped in the bud.

Frankly, I don't really give a damn. Open world pvp isn't going to be that important, and since that's the only thing that would even be affected by faction imbalance it seems like a minor issue.

Chim, TarkeCat, Risetta and 4 others like this.
  3. eselle8

eselle8 Well-Known Cupcake

I think the best thing a game can do is try to make sure there are equally cool races that fit all the major archetypes on both sides, and to try to make sure that things like class powers, gear, and story are equally interesting for each faction.

I was initially worried that WildStar would tilt heavily toward the Exiles, so I've been pleased to see so many people excited about Dominion races and lore, despite not wanting to play on that side myself.

Chim, TarkeCat, Etan and 4 others like this.
  4. kanochi

kanochi Cupcake-About-Town

Yeah, I don't think it will be a big issue with Wildstar since well like Vyver said, both factions have humans haha and even if you don't like the other races can always just play humans for whichever side you prefer. ^^

I imagine that's kinda why they added Bloodelves in WoW to get some of the alliance population to switch over to the horde. Of course that's just my speculation I have no clue if that was the actual reason, or if it was successful or anything. = P

But I'm glad people can find enjoyment in both factions either way. ^^

5. Vyver

Vyver "That" Cupcake

Actually yeah that's pretty much why, horde got a pretty race and alliance got a big ugly race

And then in the next expansion alliance got a beast race and horde got a tiny race

and then everyone got pandas and lived happily ever after

BECAUSE PANDAS

Chim and TarkeCat like this.
  6. Inv1cted

Inv1cted Cupcake-About-Town

Population faction imbalance tends to come from things like having humans or 'pretty races' on one side. The devs can't really help server faction imbalances without physically stopping people from x faction on y server which is bad because then people can't join guilds they apped for or play with their friends.

I mean you could guide people to specific servers by giving mild incentives to people (or whole famous guilds) to move if there's like a 4:1 imbalance on a certain server.

7. Sawpaw

Sawpaw Cupcake-About-Town

Call me crazy but I like it when there is a faction imbalance, and I am on the underdog side. I like to feel like I'm really up against it, and that the world is an even more dangerous for me than it is for the other faction, because being outnumbered has always been my idea of FUN! and it also means there are a lot more targets to kill out in the open world (Rubs hands). So I'm secretly hoping there will be a faction imbalance on the server I choose :) (playing Exiles btw)

8. Silverbacks

Silverbacks New Cupcake

Haha my initial reaction was the COMPLETE opposite. As soon as I saw the Aurin I knew I wouldn't be playing Exiles. And then I got worried that the cooler Mechari and Drakken races would make everyone rush over to the Dominion side as well. Now in every poll I've seen the Aurin are the most popular. I'm pleasantly surprised, but I still don't understand why :p.

Chim, Risetta, Apostate and 1 other person like this.
  9. Vyver

Vyver "That" Cupcake

aurin are cat girls

question answered

Chim and Miatog like this.
  10. Silverbacks

Silverbacks New Cupcake

The thing that threw me off is the fact that the average MMO player is a 30+ year old male. I didn't realize so many of them always wanted to BE cat girls.

Chim, Androssi and F8L Fool like this.
  11. eselle8

Yeah, Aurin aren't really my thing, at least the models I've seen. I hold out hope for making one if I'm able to make one that's female but a bit more animalistic, but it's not very much hope. I think my initial assumption was based on the whole Firefly fan thing and assuming that everyone would want to be a Browncoat. Carbine's actually been very clever with the way it's divided up races and lore, and I'm hopeful that we'll see reasonable class balance.

Silverbacks likes this.
  12. Nub

Nub Cupcake

40-man raids will increase the need for balanced factions on each server as the sheer volume of raiders needed to support multiple raid groups will be massive.

There are many servers in WoW with over 90% population imbalance which makes it close to impossible to put together a single 10-man raid group, let alone a 40-man.

Faction restricted PvE is a dated design.

13. Silverbacks

Silverbacks New Cupcake

Yeah, I think the Aurin would be more appealing to me if they were more animalistic. They are too human-like, when the Exiles already have a human race. But I guess the Drakken are already there for players that will prefer that.

TarkeCat and Tayle like this.
  14. Apostate

Apostate Well-Known Cupcake

I'm fond of the dichotomy between aurin and draken, myself. You have two races, each on a separate faction, that play opposite ends of the "nature" card. The aurin seem very much like the "enchanted forest" kind of... nature people to me (conceptually, the aurin and Exile humans are like if Avatar and Firefly were BFFs), whereas the draken are savage, primal and overtly predatory.

Anyways, that kind of thing is one of the better moves a game can make for faction balance, imho. The obvious thing like having humans on both sides is nice, too, but if a person were to choose a faction for social reasons rather than personal (if my friends were to suddenly all decide they wanted to be Exiles, for some reason), they can find -something- that appeals on the other side of the fence. A draken or mechari enthusiast might be able to play a granok or that "mystery" race and have a decent time with it. Whereas with WoW, if you liked orcs or Forsaken or something, moving to the Alliance could be a little tricky.

TarkeCat and eselle8 like this.
  15. eselle8

I think that's one of those insights that was learned - or should have been learned - after vanilla WoW. Picking a faction isn't necessarily a personal decision, especially not these days. It's not even a big guild thing. There are lots of people who mostly play games with their spouses, or their children, or with two guys they went to school with, and race preferences tend to be an oddly personal thing that can't be easily predicted by the other things people like. If everyone in a little group of people can make a character they like or at least are okay with, chances are a lot better they'll stick with the game.

Apostate likes this.
  16. eselle8

Eh. I'm a 30+ woman. Almost everyone else I play with is 30+, or close to it. People like all kinds of different things. Half the time my guild leader picks the teeniest female character he can find to play, and it's at least as likely that his wife will end up playing a big, bulked up male character. Makes it funny to be with them when they PUG with strangers. I know a guy whose wife doesn't play herself but who designs all his characters for him, so he runs around playing the same blonde girl in every game he tries. I know people who like catgirls, people who hate catgirls, and someone who changed his opinion on catgirls after being assured that they probably could have green fur.

People are weird. I don't like it when games cater to stereotypical younger-skewing tastes so hard that there's nothing left for anyone else, but you can't always predict what someone's character choice will be. As far as I'm concerned, I'm fine with that as long as I can make one I like.

Haoli, TarkeCat and Apostate like this.
  17. Byona

Byona New Cupcake

Faction imbalance could also affect a guilds success, with recruitment and stuff.

Our guild as example is definitely going for the more populated faction (Which is proving to be real hard to determine which in WildStar), because more recruits gives more opportunities to find talent, and more talent gives more success.

18. Silverbacks

Silverbacks New Cupcake

Oh I know that there are PLENTY of players who are not male, or are much older or younger. I just didn't think that the average player would be more willing to play an Aurin over all the other options. I didn't think they would be able to really relate to being a plant loving bunny lady (or bunny man).

Although then again I am someone who is over 6 ft tall, and yet I'm always drawn towards Dwarves/Goblins in fantasy games. So I do understand what you mean about people being weird :p.

19. Alex Moore

Alex Moore New Cupcake

I remember pre-BC well as a loyal member of the horde. We never had issues even when outnumbered 3 to 1 or worse.

In fact the alliance were straight up terrified of us.

Damn blood elves alone brought over half of the night elf population (which was half the alliance population) and then we had to deal with all the annoying alliance kids!

20. eselle8

Oh, just to be perfectly clear, I wasn't trying to differentiate by gender. I guess I was more trying to get at the idea that I play with a whole heck of a lot of 30+ guys, because I match in terms of age if not gender. Informal sampling reveals there's a good number of guys who like the idea of playing Aurin. Some of them want to play the prettiest of the non-humans. Some of them want to play a fairly short character (not everyone interested in Aurin is thinking of the female version). At least one of them has a sincerely held preference for the color green. :) If our group had decided to go Dominion, I think the first and third would have gone Draken and the second Chua.

For whatever it's worth, since I've been talking about lots of other people's character preferences, my first character in any MMO that gives me the option is a humanish redhead. Everyone has a thing.

Silverbacks likes this.