1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

faction vs race

Discussion in 'WildStar Races' started by Kataryna, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

I've been thinking the past few days, especially as I'm not deciding what I'm going to play until I see the races for the Dominion, about picking a Race/Faction to represent. What makes you choose what to play? Do you go for the faction and the story behind them then choose your race from there? Do you go for the race that you like the best and deal with being whatever faction they're stuck on? Do you just wait until your group of friends/guild has decided what faction and picked a faction from there?

If you go for faction, what makes the faction appeal to you? Do you want to be the bad guys/good guys? or is it the whole story behind their origins?

If you go for race, do you pick the race because of looks? Because of Their back stories?
    Rotto, Darkspur, Zerdav and 2 others like this.
  2. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

I basically pick my faction and race with the lore and background of the game. I prefer to play the underdogs and in general the good guys. Although that view is sometimes blurred.
    SiegaPlays and Darkspur like this.
  3. Kurik

Kurik Super Cupcake

I usually go with the story behind the faction first. Good or bad doesn't have too much of an effect for me and Carbine has stated they don't want the factions to come down to that so it definitely helps. :) Looking back at previous MMOs the factions I chose were for the most part militaristic and more "lawful" lore wise.
    Aheadache likes this.
  4. Aheadache

Aheadache Well-Known Cupcake

This might be kinda funny but my wife kinda has a role in what I wind up picking. I try to guide her a little but it usually comes down to if she wants to heal or tank or dps and how cute one of the race is on a faction. So after she picks a faction, I am OK to start trying to get her to pick a class. We duo leveling and try to match like tank healer or dps heals. I always want to be the healer but if she wants to heal then I will go as a tank. So if you really want to play what you want, er... don't get married :cry::cautious:

So some day if you see a tank named Aheadache then you know what happened on day 1.
    Patrician, Darkspur and Ingsoc like this.
  5. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

too late on the "don't get married" lol! been married almost 6 years, and have 2 kids :-P
    though, we have never had a problem with picking what to play, we just play what we want actually! only thing is we pick the same faction, usually the "good" guys, and my hubby plays a taller/larger race and i play the smaller/cuter race :-P in WoW i was a Gnome warlock, he was a Night Elf rogue. in GW2 i'm an Asuran mesmer, he is a Charr guardian.
    Aheadache likes this.
  6. Wreck

Wreck Cupcake-About-Town

I personally have to know every class in and out, every spell, every technique, and every animation. Once I know all of those, I decide which class suits my preference (healer/DPS) and choose a class, then decide which race I can have after choosing the class.
  7. Darkspur

Darkspur Cupcake-About-Town

Marriage is great for gamers, no more dating and the expenses involved :(, no more eating whatever <REDACTED> is in the fridge thats left over from days ago, someone to lovingly understand the hours you spend online rather than tending to their every need ......ok maybe not that :eek: but Id definately recommend marriage to anyone, just make sure shes not a gamer, then you get ALL the bandwidth :roflamo: and get to pick the race and class you want :) ...........although if shes not a gamer then round here the cost for cooking supplies, shiny stainless steel stuff for the kitchen and groceries is a required expense:down:
    Myself in games Im the good guy always, funny how we often pick opposites to what we really are in real life hey :devilish: LOL
    but I do like to play the different races on the good side in game.
    Aheadache likes this.
  8. Rakkis

Rakkis Cupcake

Honestly depends on the factions overall style for me. If the races for the faction differ greatly then it's all on the races and towns. I think for me it basically how they stylized.
  9. Ingsoc

Ingsoc Cupcake-About-Town

Similar to Aheadache, I game with my wife so it will be a joint decision on what we would rather play.

Friends/guild won't really factor into our choice, since I doubt our WoW friends will want to come over and we probably won't even look for a guild until the game is out and we've leveled up some.

Faction will come down to what has a better feel for us. We played Empire in SWTOR so I imagine Dominion may be a good fit for us in Wildstar.
    Aheadache and Kurik Lein like this.
  10. cali

cali Cupcake-About-Town

I generally pick the cutest race and make her look like a bad-ass
    Aheadache likes this.
  11. Elthic

Elthic Cupcake-About-Town

For me it will probably depends on what my the majority of my friends want to play come release.

But, if I did play this game solo I would look at the faction first, and see which side of the lore I want to know more of. Usually I pick the good side, so in this case it would be the exiles.

Other things might also come into question like faction specific classes, or if there is just one race I have to be. So far in Wildstar, I could see myself being all of the races pretty easily.
  12. ObliviousPrime

ObliviousPrime "That" Cupcake

I pick factions first, then decide of race & class. Also I try to get my real life friends into my faction as well. Hope that works in Wildstar too.

As to which faction I pick - it depends on the game. Though I do notice a trend of me picking the perceived bad guys more than the goody two shoes faction
  13. JarNod

JarNod WildStar Haiku Winner 2012 / Lead Guinea Pig

I'll pick whichever side the people I want to play are playing... I can roleplay as anything! :D
  14. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

We will know where the name originated from.
  15. arnold

arnold Cupcake-About-Town

I play whatever faction my guild or friends are playing. I pick whatever race would be the least fun to get stomped by.
  16. ObliviousPrime

My friend finally saw the meet the exiles video and told me she wants to join the exiles [​IMG]
  17. Dterrent

Dterrent New Cupcake

I usually pick the 'good guys', but depending on what races are available i can be tempted to join the baddies.
    The robots/cyborgs in particular have piqued my interest since the skullface just screams Necrontyr to me (One of my 40k tabletop armies).
  18. Vhiral

Vhiral Cupcake-About-Town

When I choose, I just find the 'bad guy' faction and play them. And I will just end up liking the faction's races.
  19. Kurik

Kurik Super Cupcake

Hopefully the Meet the Dominion video changes her mind. :p
  20. ObliviousPrime

yeah hopefully lol I should have waited to show them both at the same time but I was so excited about the video.