1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

faction vs race

Discussion in 'WildStar Races' started by Kataryna, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Manes

Manes Cupcake-About-Town

I usually pick the race that appeals to me the most in looks and story. Faction is always on the backburner with this decision as I enjoy playing both the good and bad factions. though I suppose both factions are good and bad in there own way. Moral Gray is a wondeful thing.
  2. Michael Thysson

Michael Thysson New Cupcake

As a rule I always seem to gravitate to the Order/Lawful side of things, I prefer Lawful Evil over Chaotic Good.

Race choice comes after that, and third it's Class choice.
  3. Witless

Witless "That" Cupcake

If there is a Dwarf, I play 'em! So for me this is one of the few times where I get to choose, so far leaning Dominion but we shall see.
    Norlamin likes this.
  4. Nixies94

Nixies94 New Cupcake

dominion boo lol don't like the factions that are like yay we better then you we have ..... guns and robots i will play the exiles for that reason....
    Darkspur likes this.
  5. Darkspur

Darkspur Cupcake-About-Town

Good over Evil EVERY time :D (translate Evil however you like ;))
    then its usually the biggest and baddest race there is, kinda wierd being a Granok Carebear crafter but I think it will work :D
  6. Nixies94

Nixies94 New Cupcake

the old i can smash you to bits if you don't buy my wares or am i thinking of i different race
  7. Elward

Elward Cupcake

So far this game is making it extremely tough for me to choose a race and faction. The main things that matter to me are the morals of the factions, I almost exclusively play the "lawfull good" faction, but the line seems somewhat blurred in this game, seeing as how there's not really an "evil" faction.

As for race I'm leaning towards draken because of their tribal theme, which I love, but then again the exiles have aurin which from what I understand so far are also somewhat tribal. Right now i'm leaning more towards dominion, but It's really a toss up at this point and I need a lot more lore to make a solid decision.
  8. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Attitude of the head characters of the faction/group.

So far the dominions attitude is just plain awesome, and to let the exiles be represented by some girly hillbilly made my decision even easier, now hope for the 4th race to be some kind of little evil, wacky, insane goblin like creatures and then i'm nowhere to be found near an Exile except when i'm leaning over their dead bodies laughing my robotic ass off (mechari ftw) :sneaky:

Second thing ofc is lore but seeing how the dominion got interesting lore already that is no problem.
  9. Norlamin

Norlamin Cupcake

I generally play the "good guys" in every game, only exception in this was WoW where I played both factions. The biggest drive for joining a faction is usually the race, but sometimes the lore takes a role in it as well. I generally 9/10 times play a short race, as I'm quite short in real life, so playing short races holds emotional value for me. If there are no short races, or I'm feeling a little adventurous for that specific game, I'll generally pick the least humanoid race, generally beast races, so judging by Wildstars line up I'll have no choice but to roll Dominion. I'm usually quite set when it comes to what I roll, even if friends are rolling on the opposite faction, I'll roll an alt to play with them but still keep my main the one that I decided for myself from the get go. I like heading into a game with a planned mindset, might not always be the best thing, but it's generally what I've done for everything in my life.
  10. FelixAkuma

FelixAkuma Cupcake-About-Town

Usually i play as the evil faction because the good faction seems like pompous or religious but in this game i like how the good guys are down to earth and gritty, and after reading and watching videos of both factions i've decided on The Exiles, my only regret is that i don't get to make a robot character in this faction but i like their choice of races fine so it's not a big problem for me. xD
  11. FluidD

FluidD Cupcake-About-Town

I usually play whichever faction is the good guys, I do not like being bad. I am exiles, my guild is exiles. I also like the aurin and the zombie race thats incoming is super wicked.
  12. Goreshank

Goreshank Cupcake-About-Town

Generally I go with the race that has the most aesthetic appeal or that scores the highest on my personal Bad Ass Aptitude Scale (Badasstitude). In time though I tend to develop fierce faction loyalties. For example I've played either the Forsaken or Orcs since the launch of WoW but above all I have always wished the Worgen were a playable race. When I finally got my wish I was completely dismayed with them being an Alliance race. I've never been able to get too far when I try to play one as a result :(

Horde For Life!
    Saza likes this.
  13. JarNod

JarNod WildStar Haiku Winner 2012 / Lead Guinea Pig

Funnily enough, I feel like the Exiles are the more "Hordish" faction in this game. Vagabonds who banded together against an alliance and are struggling to find a place in their new home. The alliance (or Dominion) are allied together to destroy them. :p
    Liris likes this.
  14. Goreshank

Goreshank Cupcake-About-Town

Haha right you are and I do like the Exiles for that very reason, but I love the Mechari race. I will see where my loyalties lay after the 4th Exile race is revealed.
  15. Saza

Saza Cupcake

I am exactly the same when it comes to picking a character. I pick race first and then come to love everything about their faction as I play the character and get into their mindset. I wanted to be undead when I started playing WoW so I went horde even though the person who convinced me to play WoW was alliance. When I rerolled with friends for Wrath they wanted to be alliance and I really tried. I even got a character to 70 on that side... before rerolling at 1 on horde.

When it comes to Wildstar it seems that I might actually get to play the race I like and be on the same side as the person I want to play with. I'm interested in Aurins and my fiance really want to be an exile. He doesn't have a specific race in mind though since he picks based on faction philosophy and backstory. To me, the attitude, backstory, and appearance of a particular race matters more than what side they're on.
  16. Ro24

Ro24 New Cupcake

For me I usually choose by race and purely aesthetically. I figure this is gonna be a character that I am staring at for a long, long time, so it better be something that I really like looking at.

I guess after that would be personality/lore of the faction. It doesn't really matter to me if they are the "good guy" or the "bad guy" I just need to feel some connection to their story.
  17. Veckna

Veckna Well-Known Cupcake

Pretty much this, I've learned that no matter how good an MMO is, without a good set of people to play it with it will always end up getting stale (SWTOR did better than most though as I got all 8 classes to 50 after my mates had lost interest but then bioware always did do story content well).
    So long as I have a good set of people to play with I can roll an alt for anything that wasn't compatible with their choices and level that in the time they aren't online.
  18. Patrician

Patrician "That" Cupcake

I don't actually even know how I pick race, faction, and class. I don't have a method, really. I can break down my individual decisions over the years though I suppose to see if that leads anywhere!

City of Heroes, I rolled an Illusionist / Storm controller because everyone said they were weak. They were at first, but as I got higher my army destroyed everything... Until they nerfed it and I stopped playing.

EQ2 I went wih Freeport because my friends from CoH said the Qeynosians were lame. I also went for a Coercer as I had fallen hard for CC classes.

WoW didn't have much in the way for CC classes, and no real old friends seemed that keen on playing WoW at the time so I went for Alliance because in Warcraft III I really wanted to see what happened to Arthas the most, and felt connected to that story... Hence my first character to 60 I suppose, a human Paladin.

VERY soon after that my warlock, also human, hit 60. I raided with both in the 40 man content and had a blast. I think my favorite fights were ones that involved me as a Paladin tanking Magmadar (I was holy at the time, and Paladins as actual main tanks were considered a joke.). Also banishing the exploding adds that elemental rock boss summoned on my lock was gigantic fun. I just love being in charge of meaningful CC.

Vanguard I chose a bard, mainly because everyone I knew told me I absolutely had to RP a bard due to my personality. I'll admit, I did find a new love for a class in that game. If a game doesn't allow you to be a mez expert because no CC is needed, the next best thing is making all of your allies super über. Too bad Vanguard was such a horrendously buggy and unfinished game.

Then... Eh I don't remember really that I ever settled after that, because then I went into flux playing EVERYTHING. Every class in WoW, Horde, all the races, each faction in SWTOR, never really identifying with one. All the classes... All the sides...

For the first time though I'm beginning to lean towards a single choice again. While I love Dominion, and I love it's races even more so, Exiles just seems to call to me. I've always had two sides to my personality. The arrogant know it all side, and the more compassionate and slightly goofy at times side. I think the later might surface this time around for this game first.

A major decider was of course also my wife. Now that I'm married, a faction needs to click for BOTH of us. She is drawn to Exiles, so how can that not also pull me too? ;)

I also just can't get enough of the Spellslinger and Scientist path together. A kind of Sherlok Holmes who carries two magic pistols. I keep wanting to wait until the final two are revealed to cement myself... But it's getting REALLY HARD.

I think after going through this history of mine I've come to the conclusion I sort of miss crowd control. It's sort of fallen by the wayside in MMOs, and I think that's mainly the PvP influence. I hate poorly done CC in PvP though, and WoW is one seriously broken game in that you can be CC'd in PvP and do NOTHING, yet you don't always need CC in end game and most people just love AoE "burn it all and let god sort it out" tactics.

I hope WildStar does have interesting CC for PvE that is class specific, in some way. I want my class to matter for being THAT class. I wan groups or raids to say "oh man you're a ______ ? I LOVE _____ because they provide me with ______ !"

I guess, when it all comes down to it, I make a lot of my faction decisions based on others. That's ok, because that's how I seem to like picking a class to. :)
    Kataryna likes this.