1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Factions - Betrayal;

Discussion in 'WildStar Races' started by Cynosure, Dec 15, 2013.

1. Cynosure

Cynosure Cupcake

Hey folks,

I haven't seen too much information on the two main Factions (or any of the sub-factions). It has been made obvious that you can choose to be apart of the Exile refugee's rebellious movement or the Dominion's established empire.

Any hints to whether or not you can take on quests to betray your home faction to live in cahoots with the opposing faction or switch over to serve them fully?

I have plans to roleplay my Chua as an outcast of the Dominion with plans to crush their culture from within. This sort of betrayal functionality would a great bonus.
  2. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

It's not in, and thankfully that is.

I personally don't like it if you have betrayel, the real ''faction'' feeling will get lower. And lorewise how would some races turn against their own?

Mechari? And don't say they get hacked for if that's true then the Exiles are smarter then the Eldan which isn't the case.

However what you will see is that people from the Exiles and the Dominion to join third party factions, so you'll be fighting them.
    ruff_ethereal and Kataryna like this.
  3. Cynosure

Cynosure Cupcake

Here in the real world, races turn on one another all the time. Sub-sectors of these races also turn on one another. I'm not sure I see an issue with that breaking the lore. You've never seen a wolf fight another wolf on television? Or even plants of the same species competing against one another? I'm sure us space monkies could manage.

Unless you know something I don't, we have no idea what the Mechari intentions with the Dominion are. It's all speculation. Maybe a few Mechari must switch over in order to help maintain a balance?

Maybe the creation of the Dominion was only to study how easily these other races could be manipulated?

A lot can happen in a thousand+ years.. it is possible that, in years of observation, someone could have found a flaw in the machinations.

There are infinitely many possible outcomes to this.
    Irullan, Taher, Ianpact and 1 other person like this.
  4. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Their primary objective was to:
    And they did for years, then they met the Cassians. And that's when they went to objective nr2, get someone with a great gene/dna etc. to create a ''new breed'' that could save the universe against ''The Dark Ones''.

So they brought the Swordmaiden to Nexus (see big giant golden angel like statues...that's the swordmaiden), and used her to create Dominus.

Dominus then went back to lead the new race towards becomming a greater empire.

In the meantime (and this is speculation), the Elden and ''the Dark Ones'' had some kind of encounter or something else happend. But the Eldan got wiped out (no they aint comming back), and ''the Dark Ones'' are comming back again.

So now both the Dominion and the Exiles are on Nexus trying to learn from the Eldan technology....and they sure need it if they want to stand a change against the upcomming enemy....the one who ended the era of the Eldan!
    Kataryna and Cynosure like this.
  5. Cynosure

Cynosure Cupcake

Hmmm... I feel like I need to set up a trap of WildStar emblems, logos, stickers, and posters in a line that leads you into a cage so that I can get more of this information..

And that's true. I remember the role-played Q&A session where the Mechari was very devoted to the success of the Dominion.

I truly hope they reveal some faction mechanics in the near future.
  6. LoweGearShift

LoweGearShift Cupcake

As much as I was for this in WoW, just no...this is far too early in the games lifespan for faction flopping races. Having factions as fluid as that also makes it hard to tell who your enemy is during PvP. Imagine how fun it would be to walk around in the battlefield as your Mechari self only to be stalker-slapped by another damned Mechari.
    Cynosure likes this.
  7. Cynosure

Cynosure Cupcake

I do understand your argument for it being too early and it makes a lot of sense to me. Would you be against it later down the road? ..perhaps after sufficient time has been spent with one's faction during live?

I'm under the impression that enemies in the HUD will show up as red while friendlies will be green. You can't really botch that up. ;)
  8. Mellkor

Mellkor Well-Known Cupcake

You wont see any support for that on this forum...
  9. Ianpact

Ianpact Cupcake-About-Town

Since when did you become the spokesmen for all who are on this site? :p

While technically I feel this makes sense, realistically, in a game set up as this one is, I don't see it happening. As you pointed out, betrayal of one's own is not uncommon. Every society in history has had betrayers and I am willing to bet, much like WoW had, we will see NPCs that do betray their faction or at the very least are willing to work with the opposing faction even for the shallowest (treasure, petty revenge) of reasons.

However, your question was simpler than that and the answer at this time is: NO. There is currently no information of such things from Carbine, that I am aware of. It is, however, very unlikely to happen.
    Cynosure likes this.
  10. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Well you gotta give it to him, that the last few times this subject came up around 75%-90% were against it (seeing the posts) or the people who wanted it in just didn't respond.

But anyway there is some truth to his words :D
    Kataryna likes this.
  11. SiddyFour

SiddyFour Cupcake

Just let me kill everyone that has the misfortune of being within a hundred miles of me. EVERYONE!
    Ianpact likes this.
  12. Ianpact

Ianpact Cupcake-About-Town

I figured that most on this forum would in fact be against it, mainly due to them not being familier with such an idea in a MMO, however, based on his particular post in the past, speaking in absolutes never works out for him. ;)

And no, there is no truth to it. Absolutes are either wrong or right, his was wrong, as evident by me. :p
  13. Mellkor

Your right, I should always prefix my statements with a 'hardly any' clause to incite misdirection...
  14. Yinello

Yinello Cupcake-About-Town

I would like it but I don't think the game would let us. I remember in WoW my guildies often would have discussions on how they would like to play race x but be in faction y. As the Pandaren have pointed out it is possible to have a race choose their faction and the game also has many enemy faction with all kinds of races together.

I think the problem lies with that the races have become icons for their factions. You can't think of Orcs without thinking of Horde. Same with the Undead, the Trolls and so on. They have become the faction, they can join neutral factions like the Argent Crusade and people will still think Horde. An Orc joining the Alliance would not be impossible but he would be mistrusted, maybe even so much he'd leave the alliance because it's not a safehaven for him. As for more real life, players simply wouldn't be used to it and they'd be unsettled by the change (but perhaps not for long, who knows?).

The difference between WoW and WS is that WoW had a few RTS games before it to set up the lore. As such, one could argue that the lore of Nexus is still bendable and thus able to receive this idea. But by the looks of how Carbine has set things up, they're also aiming to make the races the icons of their faction.
    Cynosure likes this.
  15. Mellkor

And yet in wow, you can get faction betrayal for the low low cost of $25! - if they want to make it work, they will find a way.
  16. filanwizard

filanwizard Cupcake-About-Town

as far as I know EQ2 is the only mainstream MMO that had a betrayal quest. However it was not a game where people cared about PVP, In fact I do not think it even has PVP.

Betrayal works awesome from an RP angle, The main issue is that WS like WoW is a faction divided game and that faction division is used for PVP. This means it would be hard to work out right in a BG, As in visual ident would get screwed up. Or at least that is the general reasoning given on most gaming forums.

Part of that is that people outside of EVE players are not conditioned to check icon/name color for IFF they simply check race. EVE players can see red and know its enemy and shoot it. (NBSI Not Blue Shoot It)
  17. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

That's not betrayal...
    Indeed, great for RP....not so great for PvP.

WoW did had a ''betrayal quest'' but that was only for a reputation group.
  18. LoweGearShift

LoweGearShift Cupcake

Faction betrayal still rubs me wrong because it makes the idea of factions pointless. If all races can flip-flop around then why are there factions?

Also there is the issue that the WoW devs used to bring up before Pandaren; character silhouettes. One of the reasons for making the different race models look different is so you can easily analyze the situation when a someone comes into your field of vision (iffen you have character names and health bars off, relying on targeting).

There is also the issue of tier sets making most characters look similar. Now I know we have the costume system but the point still stands that seeing two Chua running around in a warzone with the same top-tier gear but on different factions can get frustrating having to check whether this is the one you need to blast or not, speaking from experience with Pandaren when I was doing the PvP parts of the Mists Legendary Chain.

Our characters are members of their factions for a reason, and this is one of those "Just because you can RP this way doesn't mean you should" situations in my opinion. Much like those who RP'ed as demon loving Draenei in WoW, or a calm and collected Chua that has no homicidal tendencies whatsoever.
  19. Ysme

Ysme Cupcake

If you can find enough of an RP group to play along on both sides then it could work but game mechanics prevent Chua from appearing friendly to Exile and "Red" to Dominion. Chua will always. sp far as I know, be Red to Exiles and friendly to Dominion, so really it's a bit of a lame duck
  20. Itharius

Itharius Cupcake

There's a pretty significant lore issue with certain races turning on their factions. The biggest culprit is probably the Aurin turning on the Exiles, since they have a symbiotic, telepathic relationship with their fellow Aurin... not to mention that the Dominion is actively trying to eradicate their race. Granoks are a similarly oppressed race within the Dominion. Also, it just seems unlikely that a Drakan would turn on the Dominion, although I could see a case to be made for this (using the Exiles as a means to overthrow the emperor and become clanlord). Mechari are bound to the Dominion by their programming, so that's a no go.

My biggest problem with SWTOR is that the Sith were treated as too soft. I find the almost forced dedication to one's own faction in Wildstar to be refreshing, even though it makes the story a bit more one dimensional.
    LoweGearShift likes this.