1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Failed attempt to find a MMO to bide the time til WildStar Release

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Konoko, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Konoko

Konoko Cupcake-About-Town

Ok so while I await the WildStar release I've tried to find some game out there to garner my attention and give me some enjoyment. This search has been woefully unfulfilling.

I went back to Tera for a bit: Great combat fun open world PvP ganking.. but no end game.. after level 32 really no one in the zones.. been there done that boredom..

I tried Neverwinter: So so gameplay. Combat system is nothing special. Small world.. that feels restrictive.. too much "port me here port me there". Too confined to questing.. (don't MAKE me do ANYTHING in aMMO give me options to do what I WANT) not expansive enough.. I felt like I was playing in a fishbowl.

DragonsProphet: I just stumbled across this one and it had a very "kiddy" feel to it. I felt like a 12 yr old girl playing it. (please no comments form the peanut gallery). I did enjoy some aspects of the combat system (double jump particularly) but the hit box issues were broad and severe. I felt perfect engagements to be hard to realize. I don't know about you but I want to pull off perfect encounters where I take no damage and take down the enemy as fast as possible. Felt indicators of damage and what you were actually doing wrong were sloppy and hard to digest. More of a kid game I feel.

Darkfall Unholy Wars: This game had that HUGE open world feel i've not felt since Lineage2 or perhaps WoW. Very large world with an open skybox and terrain that you can actually walk too.. imagine that. A complex crafting system that had a lot of potential. A fully D&D inspired open World PvP system. I kill you... guess what I rob you of everything you own!! WOOT!! Finally I'm rewarded for dropping you like a bad habit. LOVE IT! However probably one of the worst UI's I've ever utilized. Horrible horrible HORRIBLE UI. Whoever designed the UI for this game should be shot. Also the game requires a significant time allocation. This is great I get rewarded for not my skill but my TIME spent! That's a joke btw. The game is a time sink. Some great things but falls short due to a game engine that is poorly coded.. Frame Shears, memory leaks (remember lineage 2 Aion, oh the more i walk across this expansive world the more my memory pegs!! *giggles*), and a bad UI design and a combat system that requires me to re-think my binds and re-invent how I approach combat. If you do it more power to you and I'm sure it's fun but not my cup of tea these days. Reboots once per hour heavily recommended.

I didn't mention GW2 as I played that about 2 weeks and quit... so today I begin once again a search for some game to bide my time until WildStar.. the task is difficult.. but I feel I'm up to the Challenge!!

Cheers

~ Koni
  2. Thordran

Thordran Cupcake-About-Town

I play Star Wars as a single player game masquerading as an MMO off and on. Just doing the class stories and running flashpoints here and there is pretty decent in moderate doses.

I also play EVE online here and there as well to get my spreadsheets and spaceship needs handled in one convenient location. :)
  3. flobbingmaster

flobbingmaster New Cupcake

one game to rule them all!!!!: FireFall
    still in closed beta (goes to open in a month or so)
    but it is VERY easy to get in, just post that you need a key in the off-topic forum
    small world that will soonTM get bigger
    3rd person shooter skill based jetpacking bug-killin' chosen hunting mmo awesomeness
    kanochi likes this.
  4. Nekowhatsit

Nekowhatsit New Cupcake

Neverwinter... I was so excited for. And I was all about it for, like, two weeks. Now I'm bored with it.

I've recently been considering taking up Secret World... I haven't heard any particularly bad things about it. At least not that I've heard. Anything to break away from the high fantasy aspect so many MMOs being played right now have. When you want Sci Fi (Wild Star), fantasy doesn't cut it.
    Picobeat likes this.
  5. Konoko

Thanks I'll check FireFall. :)
  6. JoeDragon

JoeDragon Cupcake-About-Town

I too am in this rut. I'm playing Wow often but since Neverwinter failed me I have only seen crappy out of nowhere F2P MMO's pop up. With the Steam Summer sale coming soon I may be playing mostly single player games until Wildstar or ESO come out.

Although Rift is going F2P soon and I hear good things about how they're handling the cash shop. May be worth giving a shot.
    Phyllo and kanochi like this.
  7. kanochi

kanochi Cupcake-About-Town

Firefall is pretty fun.
    RO2 my guild plays a lot, I'm not completely sure what they see in it but they really like it. ^^
    Rift is going F2P and is quite fun for being F2P.
    MOBAs are always great fun haha.
    There's a lot of Japanese/Korean MMOs out on the market that aren't really the "best", but they are something to do atleast. ^^
    Aside from that there isn't a whole lot I can think of haha.
    Konoko likes this.
  8. Mumba

Mumba New Cupcake

I mostly play Smite at the moment, action moba thats still in open beta. I have alot of fun playing it! :up:
    wickedheadshot and CaRaDaGaiTa like this.
  9. Konoko

I looked into secret world but I'm more into Fantasy.. I like Fantasy style worlds.. Rift, Lineage2, Tera, WoW.. these types of environments. I loved Unreal Tournament as far as a First Person Shooter but have never found a FPS game to really even touch UT's variation of skill required per weapon and skill required simply for movement. You could play the game for weeks doing nothing but working on your movement skills. Translocation skill, Piston jumping, dodging, goo jumping.. etc.. So yah.. Secret worlds seemed not quite my cup of tea. I toy'd with the idea of playing the new Tomb Raider.. I really liked some aspects of assassins creed and the old Tomb Raider and of course Oni. None of those games came close to the enjoyment I got from Skyrim though. I also loved the old Playstation game Tenchu! It was mad fun. Complete your missions without being seen. Assassin's at their best.

Tenchu:
  10. flobbingmaster

flobbingmaster New Cupcake

or warframe!
    =D
  11. Beetle

Beetle Special Cupcake

I know its not an MMO, but Scrolls just went into beta (tactics card game). I enjoy it quite a bit and is pretty fun.
  12. Lsya

Lsya Cupcake-About-Town

This is an interesting thread and really got me thinking.

Games I've been trying to pass my time with are/were:

SWTOR
    I love/hate this game. I like the storyline, but beyond that it's the same as everything else. I switched from a sub to a free account, and I suddenly could no longer hide my headgear without paying for it. Sith headgear is some of the most horrid, disgusting looking artwork I've ever seen. I can no longer play this game after that.

Champions Online and Star Trek Online (lifer)
    These two I jump in and out of throughout the year. I like my characters I've built up, but get bored with the game. They're free, so I'll still jump in and out, but I don't play consistently.

Neverwinter
    I really want to like this game. I like my characters, but the game is quickly becoming boring, and exploiters are destroying the community. I'm slowly walking away from it.

TSW (lifer)
    I bought a lifetime sub on this one and hardly ever play it anymore. The investigations missions were fun at first, but again...it's basically the same as other MMOs just in a different setting.

LOTRO (lifer)
    Another lifer here. I loved the game, but it's become too much of a grind to enjoy anymore.

I've decided that the common problem with MMOs for me today are that they don't offer anything different from each other except for themes and graphics. Then again, it's not easy to come up with something different for online play. It's a lot easier said than done. Part of the problem is me too. I may just need to scale back on gaming until WS comes out to avoid burnout.

Wildstar at least feels like it's not another cookie cutter game with a new fancy theme. With a combination of PVE/Housing/Warplots/Paths, it's already offering a fun combo that says "There's more to a game than killing 10 rats for a lazy city guard."

But yeah, I need to find a fun MMO to keep me going.
    Yeti and Konoko like this.
  13. Shalanigh

Shalanigh Cupcake

A lot of Starcraft 2 lately, for me at least.
  14. kanochi

Phantasy Star Online 2 is great fun and very "Fantasy" lol even has it in it's name. It's only in open beta in japan right now but there are guides and such for english people to signup as well as english patches and stuff, I've been helping a few people in my guild sign up. ^^ I really enjoy playing it lol.
  15. Drarorm

Drarorm Cupcake-About-Town

You can check out some other genres if you can't find the right MMO, try out some MOBA maybe?
  16. Konoko

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I kind of got away from most other genre's. I liked RPG's quite a bit. Stuff like Heroes of Might and Magic and Dune. I also like FPS but as I said earlier in this thread nothing I've seen even comes close to UT. I may just not play any games honestly. Focus on work more and perhaps play more guitar. I may be single again soon so I will definitely have more time on my hands. :p

@Lysa: I like your avatar.
  17. Konoko

I do see a lot of people kind of looking for a good game to play. A lot of us who enjoy MMO's are in this Rut. This bodes very well for WildStar as we are hungry for a New MMO that is fun, engaging, and challenging.

Should be really interesting to see what happens on release.
  18. iiFrank

iiFrank Cupcake-About-Town

How did you get into the japan server? I would like to try it good sir :cool:

Sadly I haven't found anything that has kept my attention for more than a few days. League of morons is the only thing i have to keep me busy until Wildstar :down: I really can't stand it but there is nothing else :eek:
  19. kanochi

Basically, you sign up here, http://pso2.jp/ then you will download the game client then there is some english patches you can find that will translate the entire game if you need them. ^^ If you need help signing up you can message me. ^^

My steam ID is in my profile, or I can give you our mumble info or something like that. ^^
  20. iiFrank

iiFrank Cupcake-About-Town

Sounds good. I appreciate the info/help. I will message you when i'm all set up :cool: