1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Failed attempt to find a MMO to bide the time til WildStar Release

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Konoko, Jun 5, 2013.

1. BlueDragon18

BlueDragon18 Cupcake-About-Town

Possibly. I saw the August 27th date previously, but then I read a post from Square saying that they had not yet decided on a release date. This was on the beta forums in the past week or so.

I agree with you that it should be clarified tomorrow, as soon as it is translated.

I see that it will run on Twitch - though you'd have to understand Japanese to follow it.

One fun thing is that you can download the character creation software and make your characters before open beta. Nice for the new players.

Like you I'm hopeful that they will launch on August 27, seeing as there isn't much else out there that's interesting right now.
  2. Liris

Liris Cupcake-About-Town

Well they still have August 27 on their official site.

And yep already downloaded the benchmark and spent ages perfecting my Miqo'te. :D
  3. Mellkor

Mellkor Well-Known Cupcake

Hmm back to being bored again, Firefall is/was good but started to become bland.

Can't see anything on the horizon that interests me....
  4. Groossum

Groossum Cupcake-About-Town

I tried a lot of them f2p (neverwinter, dragon prophet, blade whatever with boobs asian ladies, Aion, eq2, lineage, lotro, d&do, swtor, tera, tsw, Firefall...) and i came back to my old account on Rift (no sub). Been there a few weeks. I'll try FFXIV open beta (soon) and go from there.
  5. Anstalt

Anstalt Cupcake-About-Town

I burnt out on SW:TOR and so I quit playing back around March this year. I haven't taken up any other MMOs since then as I made myself a promise not to get involved unless the game met some of my standards! Those are:

1) Complex combat mechanics.

I need a combat system where the difference between a skilled and unskilled player is big. It needs to be a system where I can really learn a lot and keep on improving myself. This seems to be hard to find, partly because I am intelligent and partly because more and more MMOs are aimed at casuals. Original LOTRO fulfilled this need as there were so many ways to play the same class that skill played a huge part. SW:TOR, on the other hand, was far too easy so I got no satisfaction at all from playing my class.

2) Lots of content, including world pvp.

Seems obvious but a game needs to have a lot of content to keep me playing for a long time and it needs to have some sort of sustainable world pvp (by which i mean a dedicated zone for pvping, like WAR's RvR lakes, or LotRO's Ettenmoors).Whilst I think LotRO probably has the best combat mechanics / classes out of any MMO I've played, it seriously lacked endgame content! Hell, the last two expansions launched without raids, and the new expansion wont have raids either!

3) Good design philosophy at endgame.

Essentially, I mean an expansion of the holy trinity combined with horizontal gear progression. I find that the holy trinity makes endgame raiding fairly trivial in terms of tactics and so I prefer games that have support classes and more complex boss mechanics which require those support classes. In addition, a very common problem in MMOs is that endgame stat inflation renders 99% of the content redundant. It is such a stupid design decision that I dont know why they still do it! Horizontal gear progression, when done properly, beats vertical progression every time. The problem is very few people have seen it in action, let alone seen it done well, so most still want vertical scaling. In addition to these things, the game needs to be set up in a way that encourages multiple playstyles and helps foster a good quality community.

Now, whilst waiting for a Wildstar beta invite I too have been looking around trying to occupy myself. I've been in the FFXIV betas for a while but it seems to fail all of my standards! The worst part about FFXIV is the combat. I've never been in a game that is sooooo simple! Worse than that, there is no room for improvement in FFXIV. For example, I played a lancer through beta 2 but at level28 I only had 6 or 7 skills, most of which were redundant whilst solo! My rotation was literally 3 skills. I couldn't do any better than that, but I also couldn't do much worse. This left me with a feeling of just "going through the motions" whilst playing the game: I never ever felt that my personal skill level was a factor in whether I won or lost a fight.

I've also been playing some old console games to keep me entertained. I've played through Worms: Ultimate Mayhem which was OK. My brother and I regularly hunt terrorists on Rainbow 6: Las Vegas 2. I also got Sonic Allstars Racing recently which was a good laugh whilst stoned! I've started replaying FF13 but it just isn't a good game so I doubt I'll continue. On the PC I've played through Medieval: Total War. My brother is a massive fan of the game but had never completed it so I thought I'd give it a go. I completed it on my first playthrough, much to my brother's annoyance, so not felt the need to continue. I have also re-visited LotRO, purely to play monster play (world pvp) but there usually isn't much action so I haven't played much.

What I am most looking forwards to in the near future are ESO (I love world pvp, so three faction RvRvR should tick some boxes!), Wildstar (I doubt I'll buy it, but need beta invite to see what it is really like), GTA:V and Assassins Creed 4: Black Flag. The new GTA and Assassins Creed both come out fairly soon and both look awesome so I'm really looking forwards to them! I expect my quest for an MMO is likely to go unfulfilled as modern MMOs insist on making poor long term design choices, but I live in hope that one of them will get it right!
  6. Mierelle

Mierelle Cupcake-About-Town

It's so nice to see someone else high value on this in this day of age. Hope you'll find it as I've been looking for it as well.
  7. jbeezy

jbeezy New Cupcake

I've been playing DC Universe Online and loving it. :)
  8. Konoko

Konoko Cupcake-About-Town

I think EQNext will be fun. Blade & Soul will also be fun but a different type of game. Obviously more action based. Bless looks promising as does Arche Age and Black Desert. Black Desert I feel does not quite have the backing like Arche Age does so I'm skeptical they can pull off a polished product. Not looked at World of Darkness or Pathfinder I'll check them out.
    Picobeat likes this.
  9. Konoko

So far I still feel ArcheAge looks the most promising being that Jake Song is the key force behind it. I enjoyed Lineage2 quit a bit and Korean MMO's are a bit more to my like as they are not faceroll content generally and they incorporate more hard core elements.

(From Wikipedia)
    Archeage features a zoneless world with third person view. It has a housing system with building erected in the world and not in instanced zones, not only the doors but windows of player houses can usually be opened as well. Furniture and other decorative items are available to be placed inside player houses or in their vicinity with some of them being functional (strawmen allow planting in a radius protecting the plants from stealing or such by other players for example). Trees and crops can be planted, watered and harvested/chopped down. Animal husbandry allows cattle and sheep to be tended to and used as resources.Buildings can be destroyed by other players including castles being attacked with siege weapons such as cannons. City founding is possible by erecting floating city stones which can in turn be attempted to be captured by enemy forces.

There are many options for travel in ArcheAge, besides travel on foot like walking or climbing (ladders, vines, trees), swimming and personal mounts, personal boats (from row boats to catamarans to galleons) as well as personal glidersor car-like machines like tractors for transport of larger amounts of goods there are predetermined travel routes by airships, taxi-like vehicles and portals too. Travel is fully 3-dimensional in ArcheAge, thus swimming and diving is possible too. The later one can be improved with diving equipment and there is underwater planting, harvesting and gathering of resources along with underwater treasure hunting.
    Some mounts allow to backpack another player upon invitation as can boats be used to transport other players with one player acting as driver. Ships need one captain who steers the ship while other player can just be transported or - if the ship is equipped accordingly - man cannons for navalor sea-land battles or fights against sea monsters like a giant Kraken.Sea creatures or other ships can be harpooned from accordingly equipped boats too.ArcheAge has a pet system with pets being bought as babies and trained to grow into mounts or battle companions for example.Pets/mounts level with experience gained, acquiring new abilities. They can be killed in battle, resurrected and suffer resurrection disease which can be healed at a stable. Pets/mounts have equipment slots like player characters.

The skill system of ArcheAge is very flexible as one chooses 3 basic skill types from a selection of ten and can thus create ones own "class" which is then level based in improvement.
    As ArcheAge allows PvP there can be large scale battles with several hundred players having occurred in the Korean Closed Beta. To keep player harassment at bay a player run court system with a jail concept is integrated. Criminal players are imprisoned and can pay off their debt by working in the prison or trying to escape through digging their way out.

The crafting system in ArcheAge is very extensive with everything from equipment and food, the construction of vehicles of all kinds and building furniture for the player-owned homes.
    ArcheAge makes use of modern graphics effects like tessellation and ambient occlusionand contains a physics engine. Interaction with the game world from mobile devices is possible too.
  10. Fishsticks

Fishsticks Cupcake-About-Town

As others have recommended, FF:ARR is my choice of game till Wildstar or TESO get released - it's not going to blow you away, but it's a beautiful game with lots to keep you busy for the next 6 months or so
  11. Konoko

I've heard so many bad things about FF:ARR (the review from MMO List was awful. 5.1! So I don't think I'll even try that game. TESO looks nice and I will probably try it out but the following list are the games I'm truly interested in. WildStar has completely fallen off my radar.

In order of interest here are the games I'm really looking forward to:

EDIT #2: I did more research and found that Bless has some things that are in the pipeline that could make it a very interesting MMO. Refer to my Bless thread in the General Gaming forum for more information. Moving Bless to #3 on my list and moving ArcheAge to #4.

EDIT: Actually I did some more research on ArcheAge and found some things that could cause some issues. The end game continent where it's FFA PvP could turn into a total gankfest where only people in large groups really survive. I don't like this type of end game PvP as it has been tried before in Tera, and Aion and some other games and I don't fell that works so well. I feel a solo player should be able to recruit mercenaries of have options to build his castlen and defend it. I don't think forcing him to have to group is the best way to go.

Also AA (ArcheAge) utilizes a Tab Targeting system. Not a big fan of that either.

So my clear #1 MMO to watch right now is Black Desert! Unfortunately it's slated for a 2015 release.

1) Black Desert (parkour movement, engage in combat while still mounted, some sandbox aspects, more of an action based combat system)

2)EQNext (Taken sandboxes to a totally new level for a Fantasy themed MMO. Giving tools to players to develop their own Content gets a huge "Oh YAH!" from me.)

3) Bless (Combat looks "OK" graphics are amazing)

4) Arche Age
  12. DiNAhhh

DiNAhhh New Cupcake

I cannot recommend any games for Scarlet Blade is a game I would not recommend. But no one ever listens to me. So go ahead and do the same. You'll regret it. I did. My unborn children did. And their unborn children did too.

I tried SWTOR but they went F2P nerf or P2P un-nerfed. Either way, I couldn't play as a Royal Guard, so I quit.

Then I saw this game. I am so rock for this game, I might even Furry it.

And sig quote...
  13. Fishsticks

Fishsticks Cupcake-About-Town

Yeah you're going to be waiting quite a long time to play any of these. At least a year if I had to guess. AA might maybe possibly come out sometime in early 2014, but I would guess more like quarter 2 or 3
  14. Konoko

Yap which is why I'm really focusing on other things. I don't see any MMO's out there right not that I'll put much effort into. :(
  15. Dirty Outlaw

Dirty Outlaw Cupcake-About-Town

yeah same here

I tried neverwinter, tera and other mmos and all left me wanting.

wow left me bored there isn't much to do once you did all you can do to progress and I have never been an alt person either. The problem with theme parks if you consume too fast you're left with nothing.

Right now I'm might actually start playing console games, dust off my xbox and wii that been sitting on the shelf since I bought them might actually have to buy some games. That or go to GOG and buy some old school games hmm Jagged Alliance 2 for 10 bucks sounds like a good idea.
  16. Dedlaw

Dedlaw Cupcake-About-Town

Well with the launch pushed back possibly 6+ months, I need to redouble my efforts into finding something worth putting my time into
  17. Eternalfootman

Eternalfootman Cupcake-About-Town

I thought AA was branded for 2013 release in US , maybe I recall incorrectly. But yea the rest are a ways off. Bless does look the most impressive from a graphical standpoint. And very similar to black desert from the gameplay vid, minus the mounted combat.
  18. papaolhos

papaolhos New Cupcake

I'll go and try Rift as well damn i've like this for 6 months
  19. Azzizabiz

Azzizabiz Cupcake

I'll still poke around WoW a little from time to time, but nothing to occupy *that* much time these days. I'm looking forward to Hex and Hearthstone being more openly available to eat up a good chunk of my time! And now in November I can look forward to the new expansion for XCOM: Enemy Unknown (Enemy Within). Add onto that Rome II: Total War in about 2 weeks, and i'm hoping to keep myself reasonably busy into next year!