1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Favorite MMO Classes

Discussion in 'Gaming Arena' started by Kurik, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Manes

Manes Cupcake-About-Town

I was very fond of my Beast Master in FF11. In a game dedicated to group grinding, BM was a viable if not, the only option to soloing at the time I played. They were like the Batmans of FF11, Mysterious to the people outside the BM circle, but they were heroes! Seemingly materializing out of nowhere and saving many groups from accidental adds or the dreaded trains of death...Then vanishing.

I'm actually hoping for a beast tamer type in Wildstar...

2. Kay niner

Kay niner New Cupcake

I've always like being at range, so Mages, Hunters or Archers for me thanks. although as of late I've been getting closer and closer to the battle with warriors, engineers and dreadnaughts just to shake things up a bit. I suppose it depends on the game, and how well each class plays on average really... can't go past a good bow thought...

3. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

I am definitly a pet collector, both vanity and combat type pets. I love playing a hunter or beastlord type.

What about beast tamer as a type of crafting profession instead of the same old same old? You tame different types of beasts or have a low chance of a baby beast dropping from beast type mobs, and you train/raise them to serve as mounts or even battle pets either for thou self or to sell to other players.

I think it could be an interesting new profession.

Edit: if the beast then are used in combat like the companions in SWTOR, so soloing you have the helping hand, but in groups they get left at home. I could see this working well. Everyone can be a pet class solo.

4. Kay niner

Kay niner New Cupcake

So, kinda like a side kick that disappears when in a squad? Could work. It would be good to have an option to turn the pet off, of course.

5. SiegaPlays

I do like how companions works in groups in SWTOR, where they simply are dismissed, if the group is full of real players. There is a balance there, a pet companion should not replace an average player -- maybe a really terrible one, but not someone better than really bad.

6. Duckdee

Duckdee Cupcake-About-Town

Do want!

7. ObliviousPrime

ObliviousPrime "That" Cupcake

If they do the the swtor thing (which not really my style since I like a more action based combat than swtor) I would like the companion AI to be better than swtor.
    It was annoying when it attacks or aggros mobs that I do not want to fight.

8. Tiktak

Tiktak Cupcake-About-Town

The age old problem with every pet class I ever played. Always getting creamed by adds. :(

9. ObliviousPrime

yeah its why I stay away from pet classes.
    I have a Necro in Gw2 that I am planning to play with a petless build.

10. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

Set the pet on Passive? ;)

11. Melanie Dawn McGreevey

Melanie Dawn McGreevey New Cupcake

I agree with the Mesmer for sure, and I absolutely adored the DoK in WAR!! I also liked the shaman (enh) and druid (resto) in wow..I guess I prefer hybrid classes...or ranged.

12. ObliviousPrime

I remember in swtor even in passive they run into the mobs aggro range if I don't go out of my way to avoid them.

13. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

I don't remember how the companions behaved in SWToR, it's in a far corner of my memory.

Maddog Charlie likes this.
  14. ObliviousPrime

that is probably for the best :p

15. Duckdee

Duckdee Cupcake-About-Town

I wanted to romance 4X...

16. MrTeddy

MrTeddy New Cupcake

The companion system in SWTOR is great because you can do dungeons or group instances (heroic quests) even if you don't have all the players for it ; you could just pop a companion and do the instance with it instead of another player... same thing if a player left in the middle of an instance, you could just replace it with a companion instead of waiting for hours to have someone join your half-done instance.

Carbine could implement a Mercenary Guild where you could hire a NPC to help with group content. Of course, since it's a mercenary, you would have to pay a couple of credits to hire the dude. At the guild, you would have access to all the basic roles to fill your group : tank, melee dps, range dps, healer.
    :sneaky:

As for classes, the only thing that is really important is to give each class it's unique feel... In most MMOs, what differenciates classes are energy mechanics and spell animations, but the rest is usually quite similar.

To show what I mean, here is an exemple :
    Let's say the Human Spellslinger has a powerfull spell with a casting time where you charge your dual pistols and then unload onto your ennemy.... while the Aurin Esper has a powerfull spell with a casting time where you summon a powerfull illusion (the phoenix like spell?) to blast your ennemy....

You can see that both spells are identical, except for the animation...

My comparison is to World of Warcraft ( i know it's an overused subject of comparison...) in which each class felt really distinct with different mechanics...

- The Warlock was the Damage-over-time master.
    - The Shaman had totems that would buff your group.
    - The Paladin had auras and blessings to buff, but would also used a seals system to help in a fight.
    - The Hunter had a pet : a wild beast you had to tame.
    - The Mage was the master of Area-of-Effect spells.
    - The Rogue had stealth and kicked-ass.
    etc.

I know that some class where rip-off from other class like the Druid was a hybrid using mage-like, rogue-like and warrior-like spells ; the Death Knight was a hybrid warlock-dot-like and hunter-pet-like with warrior-gear... It was not the best of the best, but most class really felt unique in its playstyle.

Two other exemples would be the Mesmer in Guild Wars 2 which used a clone mechanic I had never seen and which was really unique ; same for the Agent/smuggler in Star Wars : The Old Republic which used a original cover mechanic.

So in Wildstar, I do hope that each class will be really unique with it's playstyle... not just energy mechanic and spell animations.

Here is an idea for another class :
    A Dominion Technomancer who would use droids and probes as his main attacks (inspired by Tali in Mass Effect and Pistol? tech-tree in The Secret World). Spells could be ...
    - Defensive Probe which would put a probe that would cast a defensive screen in front of the target character.
    - Explosive Probe which would be set on an ennemy target and would blow up for massive damage after a set of time.
    - Sentinel Probe which could scan a zone and would latch on stealth players making then unable to vanish back in stealth.
    - Droid Swarm where the character drops a dozen droids that rush in the targeted location blowing up on ennemies they come across.

I hope you like my ideas...
    Keep up the good work :)

17. SiegaPlays

This is exactly how EQ2 mercenaries work. They fill up a missing slot fine enough, but I enjoyed having companions in SWTOR more. They were more personal because they had their own agenda too, despite being the same companion as the next players.

18. Kurik

Kurik Super Cupcake

I enjoyed the henchmen and hero system of the first Guild Wars but I have to admit it does kind of bother me to see the same companions running around the open world, in instances and dungeons it's fine.

19. SiegaPlays

What about hiring your alts instead - I mean, you would be able to level them that way too and a good character customization means they would not be replicas of thousands of others running around.

Maddog Charlie, Kirathis and Tiktak like this.
  20. Aheadache

Aheadache Well-Known Cupcake

My favorite class has been healers, and my top favorite was my Priest in WoW. I hope there is a class that is Si-Fi compatible like scientist.