1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Female Armor Aesthetics

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Kahlan, Jan 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kahlan

Kahlan Guest

I know there is a thread about armor aesthetics from earlier this month, and though I acknowledge this issue is related, I think it requires a very different discussion.

As a female, nothing is more disheartening to me than discovering my in-game options for armor are hooker, hooker, and hooker. I know its appealing to many men. But, by and large, its not appealing to women. I often feel forced to roll male toons to escape this, and thus end up feeling entirely disassociated from my character. I loathe this! And its made me miss Warcraft (which I stopped playing a long time ago) because even though female armor was smaller, it was at least a full suit!

One of the reasons I'm looking forward to Wildstar is that it has an appealing/unique art design, and it reminds me of Warcraft (in a very positive way). I'm hoping that Wildstar will follow Warcraft's armor design and females will be noticeable because of hips, height, and breasts, and not because they are wearing next to nothing.

Thoughts?
  2. starspun

starspun Well-Known Cupcake

Depends on which era you mean, here. Vanilla had its fair share of bikini plate and even lingerie robes (Black Mageweave, I'm looking at you...) that I'd rather just pass right over. :p

My biggest beef with MMO armor is that only the female characters get the skimpy stuff. If you're going to go that route, have some humor about it and use the same percentage of cover for the male AND female versions of the same armor piece. Got a robe for the ladies that looks like it's in danger of slipping and showing her nipples? Make that same robe show off a gentleman's fuzzy chest. I think this is probably the one redeeming quality TERA had, in my eyes. There was barely a difference between the genders, whether the armor was light, medium or heavy.

While I absolutely prefer armor that looks practical (LotRO is the best example I have of this), it really depends on the game, too. I think WildStar could definitely pull off my example above pretty well (I mean, just look at Buck and Liara in the background here!), and I really hope that it will, because... yeah, I'm pretty fed up with the buttoned up robes for men and the strips of cloth that look like they'll fall off the women, or the full on protection males get from a suit of heavy armor and something that looks like really uncomfortable beach wear for the females.
  3. Aheadache

Aheadache Well-Known Cupcake

I am going to like this thread. :coffee:
    Steelheart and Maddog Charlie like this.
  4. Kahlan

Kahlan Guest

Absolutely! I've met many, many men who would be willing to wear skimpy items for fun and laughs.
    Nearo likes this.
  5. Shady

Shady Cupcake-About-Town

Y U WANNA KILL GUYS FUN?! U MAD BRO...SIS?! :p

I agree with you, I am a guy, I have never played a female character unless the class was gender locked, sometimes I start wondering :"Is she gonna fight in that? How the heck is it going to protect her?", when all she seems to be wearing is a couple of...I don't even know what to call them, semi-transparent strips?
    Hey, you wanna show some skin, sure, go ahead, why not? But why don't you also make some reserved/discreet/modest armor?

However, I have to give it to Carbine, from what I've seen so far, from trailer to gameplays, all the female costumes/armors look pretty decent.

Just wanted to leave my opinion on the subject as a guy.
  6. Amlin

Amlin Cupcake

I'm not a fan of the skimpy armors either, Rift and GW2 for example have offered options for those of us that like full armor visuals with their Transmutation/Wardrobe systems. I hope to see something like that in this game as well, though I will say Rift did a much better job with it.
    Ashiktara likes this.
  7. Zerdav

Zerdav Cupcake-About-Town

But that's just it, what mmo gives men the hairy option??!! :(:cry::down::cry:

One being male or female is in no way relevant to this discussion. It doesn't bring any weight to the arguments.
  8. Shady

Shady Cupcake-About-Town

Mainly in response to that part.
    Mudfin likes this.
  9. JarNod

JarNod WildStar Haiku Winner 2012 / Lead Guinea Pig

I don't care either way to be honest. The reason is because it's a virtual reality. I don't look like a Granok or have abs like a Human Spellslinger. Do I find it disheartening to see these ripped avatars running around? Not really. I understand that women don't want their chosen avatars to be overly sexualized. Carbine just needs to let there be a choice on what we wear rather than forcing bikinis in the best gear
    pipedreams likes this.
  10. cali

cali Cupcake-About-Town

I don't mind if my toon is scantily clad even thought it is not too realistic (cloth wears don't have much protection to begin with so I could see them running around with their belly showing)

I love running around town in my RP clothes that are only used for fashion/RP and not for fighting in. My favorite was this white quality item called Lovely [color] Dress.

[​IMG]

Not to get flamed for mentioning SWTOR but I think they did an amazing job with the female bounty hunter armor. I had this amazing pink armor set that LOOKED like heavy armor. I wish I didn't uninstall cause I can't find a ss of my outfit :-(
  11. Guide

Guide Well-Known Cupcake

I think the reason why most MMOs have provocative armor for females is sex appeal (Wait that's pretty obvious!). This is usually the case in Asian MMOS where they just don't give a <REDACTED>! A game like WildStar doesn't need sex appeal. Tara Strong's cute voice is the only appeal you need!
    Evion and Maddog Charlie like this.
  12. Kurik

Kurik Super Cupcake

I never played CoH so this could be wrong but I read that it basically had a cleavage slider for outfits. Maybe that could be an option WildStar could provide to go along with armor that isn't always skimpy.
  13. Guide

Guide Well-Known Cupcake

CoH just had body sizes iirc. Champions had chest sliders.
  14. Duckdee

Duckdee Cupcake-About-Town

No, there was a chest slider in CoH.

And men can have Zangief-level chest hair in Champions Online.
    Kurik Lein likes this.
  15. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

I do not mind looking like a hyper sexed bimbo.

What I do mind is not having the option to not look like a piece of eye candy for the male gaze.
    What I do mind is not having the option to wear armor that looks like it fits its purpose as armor.

'nuff said, example is better:

Liris, Caerth, Joukehainen and 2 others like this.
  16. Venion

Venion New Cupcake

I've grown numb to the ridiculous appearance of skimpy armor so it no longer bothers me, but I do prefer more functional looking equipment. Including both types in the game with the ability to appearance swap your gear seems like a great way to keep people happy and allow choice.
  17. Elthic

Elthic Cupcake-About-Town

I usually never play female toons so this topic really doesn't effect me in this game or most games. However, I do agree that some games female armor is definitely over the top, with way too much skin or just not looking like armor at all. I like when female toons have armor that cover up everything; however, there does need to be differences in how male and female armor look. Males and females wear clothing differently and that needs to be represented in the game.
  18. ObliviousPrime

ObliviousPrime "That" Cupcake

I don't like skimpy armour at all. So I stay away from them if I can't I don't make that race or in the case of tera stop playing the game.
    Wreck likes this.
  19. Evion

Evion WildStar Haiku Winner 2012

Hm, armor aesthetics is tricky. While I do prefer the non-bikini-armor style, I also want my armor options to be attractive to look at since I'll be staring at them for a good several hours most days. In WoW I primarily played a hunter, but I found myself constantly frustrated by the Tier sets in raiding. I would expect them to wear more furs and sewn-together hides and that sort of thing, and while there were some of those elements, somehow their designs always seemed either chunky or garish. For examples, we have the Ice Crown set that was all brown with ridiculous pointy helmet and shoulders, or the initial Cataclysm set in terrifying neon colors. Sure, they cover up well, but in my opinion they're too chunky and not at all atractive. And don't say it's a WoW thing, because there are many WoW sets that I do love and lusted after on alts. For example, the Shaman's Ice Crown set. It has cleavage, but I'm okay with that. The set I always wished I could get my hands on was the final set from Burning Crusade. And for an example of cleavage going too far, here's the Cataclysm set. That just looks like the cup parts have to be glued on.

I think the key here is giving people the option to dress their character as they like. Personally, I'm fine with the corset-like armor the Aurin is wearing in this website's background. I would also enjoy a sleeveless piece that covered everything from belly to neck. I believe it's been mentioned by Carbine that they'll have a wardrobe function, which I think will work wonderfully to help with this issue, as long as there are enough decent options to choose from. From my experience, I think Rift had one of the best wardrobe systems, primarily because it would allow me to hide armor slots in my wardrobe set. If I didn't want to show my shoulder pads because they were ugly chunky things, I had that option. I could find the tunic and leggings I liked and run with those for the better part of the game, until I come across another look that I like better.

I guess what I'm saying in summary is give people options with armor in various degrees of coverage and a wardrobe function that allows us to dress our character as we see fit. It opens up options for RPers and helps us avoid being stuck in the mid-rift platemail. Avoid sex-bias, give girls and guys equal levels of protection.

And if it's a metal bikini on a girl, it had better look like a mankini when a Granok guy wears it! ;)
  20. Zerdav

Zerdav Cupcake-About-Town

There's nothing to discuss really, have enough choice and that's it.
    Six, Myrrdhinn, Veckna and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.