1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Female Armor Aesthetics

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Kahlan, Jan 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jynetik

Jynetik "That" Cupcake

Sounds great, thank you for the "offical" reply on this subject!
  2. Cottonspore

Cottonspore Cupcake-About-Town

A very fair point. If the focus is on affording agency and choice to everyone, gender shouldn't play a part in it. I do think it still does factor in most of the time, though, because our society is still skewed in one direction over another and even though as individuals we try to be balanced and fair, we're not standing on balanced ground and that makes it harder. These are still gendered issues, in my opinion, given that the troublesome treatment that leads to these complaints is usually aimed at one gender over another.

Taking a more holistic approach to the issue without mention of gender might get us further, though. I'm going to look at this from a more abstract direction in the future.
  3. Naunet

Naunet Well-Known Cupcake

Excellent. Now can we talk about why the female silhouettes all look the same while the males are distinctive? I can tell the difference between a granok and human male without thinking, but granok and human females...
    Yinello likes this.
  4. Thordran

Thordran Cupcake-About-Town

Yea, I really misunderstood why this whole thread went off on other tangents then because I never saw any indication that there wouldn't be a ton of armor types for folks to wear. I thought people were bothered about armor being skimpy and unrealistic or sexist based on quite a lot of the posts that I read. I only really get bothered or /facepalm when I see avatars wearing totally impractical armor regardless of whether it's a male or female.

Glad to hear that all is well with the fashion world and folks can move along to other topics then.
  5. Magius

Magius New Cupcake

Hi, been lurking for a while and this thread pushed me into joining the conversation. I am glad to see statements from the guys in charge. Choice, on either side of the scale is always good as long as both sides fit the game universe style.

What I would LOVE to see is characters having to modify the armor worn according to the environment they are in. No matter which camp you prefer, skimpy or overdressed, you shouldn't be able to run in a ridiculously skimpy suit in a snowstorm or a bulky suit of plate in a searing desert.

Always found it perplexing to see characters in skimpy armor running around some dwarven mountain peaks or full suits of armors in what were supposed to be hot environments. :)
  6. nomotog

nomotog Cupcake-About-Town

Um Gaffney you can do better then that. We can see the pictures, but you have access to more then that. You could tell us stuff that we don't know like what the design goals are and even the technical aspects.
  7. John

John "That" Cupcake

Male characters are designed to look like society-idealized males

Female characters are designed to look like society-idealized females

Why? Because it looks good and people buy things that look good.
  8. Joukehainen

Joukehainen Well-Known Cupcake

[​IMG]

:laugh:
    kaimarshall, Dysp, Yinello and 2 others like this.
  9. Steampunkette

Steampunkette Cupcake-About-Town

Female characters are designed to look like SEXUALLY idealized females. Not socially. There is no socially accepted "Power" fantasy for women. Only the sexual idealization. It's dichotomous and very misleading to present them as the same thing. Strength, bravery, and skill are the typical traits exemplified by male characters while females exemplify beauty and sexuality in media. Those aren't the same thing at all.

That said, I'm glad there will be a variety. I hate playing some guy's sexual fantasy when I'm getting my power fantasy on.

-Rachel-
    Huffle Puff, Vyver and Seagrey like this.
  10. Seagrey

Seagrey Cupcake-About-Town

As a woman, I'll probably play a male Aurin...because the female Aurin is not my fantasy female type. If there are some kind of body sliders, then I'll reconsider. I prefer to play a feminine female toon...but feminine does not equate to helium boobs and wasp waist to me.

I don't want to take other folks choices away...I just want additional choices that will reflect personal modesty and/or body image. Choice is good...and will make the population more interesting visually.
  11. Lest22

Lest22 New Cupcake

Please play the game based upon your own enjoyment rather than creating imaginary people for you to dictate as the enemy and plan your actions around.
    hydra55x likes this.
  12. John

John "That" Cupcake

You are muddying the waters by confusing character traits with character appearance. Skill, bravery, strength are all irrelevant in a video game like this because both male and female are 100% equal in those regards. The only distinction is how they actually look while doing those things. And in that regard the character models for both male and female have adopted typical visual stereotypes: the men are muscle-bound brutes, and the women are curvy fleshlings.

I actually think its refreshing if its true that the Aurin male is more feminine; if that is the case I would be surprised if one of the unannounced races doesn't have a more masculine female model to match it.
  13. hydra55x

hydra55x New Cupcake

an artist shouldn't have to change their work just because a few people don't find it appealing.
    hitman84 likes this.
  14. Yakzan

Yakzan "That" Cupcake

<Mod Monocle> I'm sorry but I think the time has come to finally seal the thread for future generations to learn from. It's come full circle a few times and even more often resulted in lots of rather unhappy material. However, I think anyone interested got plenty of feedback from this thread, both good and bad, so think of this as the end of a chapter than anything. And no, no one 'won' anything, before anyone starts celebrating anything. The thread has simply run its due course. </Mod Monocle>
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.