1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

FFXIV: A Realm Reborn

Discussion in 'Gaming Arena' started by Einzo, May 23, 2013.

1. Fishsticks

Fishsticks Cupcake-About-Town

No argument here, poorly planned, and poorly executed all around.

That being said, I refuse to subscribe to the "OMG THIS WILL KILL THE GAME, THE SKY IS FALLING" mantra that seems to go around every time a game launches with issues...which is pretty much every single time any game launches ever.
  2. BlueDragon18

BlueDragon18 Cupcake-About-Town

Agreed. The launch is about as bad as it could get logistics wise. Gameplay though is about the best I've seen at any game launch. Bugs are minimal. In fact, I've found only 2, and those involve missing crafting recipes. There are some rough edges, of course.
    The producer posted yesterday that they had substantially more people playing than they'd ever expected and that they simply didn't have enough hardware. More servers of various kinds supposed to be in place within the next 72 hours. (I sure hope so.)

Even with the problems, this is a well polished game now. Frankly, my enthusiasm for Wildstar has diminished quite a bit. It wasn't till I saw FF that I realized how much I dislike the Wildstar art. To get my attention, WS is going to have to have incredible gameplay. Good enough that I can overlook the art.

Keep working JG et al. I want a great game from you. In the meantime, I expect to be playing FF at least until WS launch.
  3. Six

Six New Cupcake

I tried to let ffxiv distract me till Wilstar or EQNext came out . Tried to , but bad game is bad. Besides the server errors the game is just flat lame. It is visually GORGEOUS but that's where my compliments stop.

The environment is pretty but has invisible walls EVERYWHERE and does nothing to reward exploring.
    The story is beyond boooooooring and predicable with characters that the depth of paper.
    The community is very trollsih.
    The combat is very unresponsive and dull.
  4. Voison

Voison Moderator • Foxy Cupcake

:confused: Invisible walls? :confused:
    The combat is great and so are the animations.... What has a "responsive" combat to you?
    The community is just like any other MMO.... :cautious:
    The story is better than a lot of games out there...
  5. Maxtross

Maxtross Cupcake-About-Town

@Six i don't know what type of MMO that you're looking for out there that is not boring. FFXIV has the same gameplay as the other previous MMO out there but with Final Fantasy world in it.It feel polished,beautiful and the combat is pretty standard with 2.5 sec GCD abilities.
    I'm having a blast exploring the world,questing and running dungeons with friends.Aside from the server issues, yeah i have no problem paying for this game monthly until i got bored with it :)
  6. Six

Six New Cupcake

Have to disagree pretty strongly here. The story is about as meh as you can get. I only played up to 30, so I'm sure it gets better, but I don't have the patience for a story that takes that long to develop. The characters are beyond flat, the scenarios are predictable and the dialog is bad.

I also think the combat is pretty bland. It isn't terrible, but nothing exciting. Especially with a slight ability delay.

For me though, the real kicker is the world. Yes it's gorgeous but so much if it is blocked off or inaccessible. They don't encourage or reward exploration....its actually impossible to do so due to the aforementioned invisible walls all over the place.

In the end it is about opinions, I've been playing MMOs for about 12 years and this one just feels very juvenile to me. Anyways, probably a moot point. Already canceled and uninstalled.
  7. Nicodemus

Nicodemus Well-Known Cupcake

Ive been enjoying FF when im able to log in. I agree with some of the invisible walls that are in the game. But many times I play a suicidal jumper. I feel like the combat is really good traditional mmo. While not quite the telegraphs of wildstar. Combat keeps me interested and I have great interest in multi classing.
  8. binzer

binzer Cupcake

Does anyone know if there's a WildStar linkshell going on Behemoth? I know there are quite a few WS people there :)
  9. Lookeba

Lookeba Cupcake

ffxiv_09032013_143855.jpg
    Here's to hoping that the maintenance fixes the login issues. I would really like to play this game while waiting for Wildstar.
    Fishsticks likes this.
  10. Fishsticks

Fishsticks Cupcake-About-Town

There were only two people in queue this morning when I logged in on my way out the door. I think the jury is still out on weather or not they solved the issues, I guess we'll see this evening
  11. binzer

binzer Cupcake

they increased the server cap on all the servers (I think it's around 7800 or so). There have been some other issues, like people not being able to log on because the game thinks they already are logged on, but at least the worlds aren't full :)
  12. Haversham

Haversham Cupcake-About-Town

Yeah, I logged in this morning as well just to try it out: Queue was at 8 already. Needless to say I was pretty skeptical about what it would be like tonight. Just tried to log in to cactaur and had no issues whatsoever. No queue, nothing. Just straight in.

That being said, I think error 3102 is floating around again along with a few others so it's not quite perfect but the logging in seems much improved over the ordeals of the past week.
  13. Nicodemus

Nicodemus Well-Known Cupcake

Was able to get on for the first time since start of early access.
  14. Haversham

Haversham Cupcake-About-Town

Yep, fingers crossed that everything holds!
  15. Voison

Servers seem to be fixed aleast with joining them. More servers are "open" for new characters unless its prime time, which isn't bad for now. Maybe like more update and they should be good. :)

About to hit 50. Can't wait to grind Hard ifrit. I heard hes touch. :p
  16. Belligerent

Belligerent New Cupcake

To me, if you're a FF fan, then FF14:ARR is fine. But to the average MMO player, it's a pretty dull game. I have the same reason to dislike it as BlueDragon does: I can't stand the art style of FF14. It has that generic anime/eastern MMO look to it. Not to mention: Lalafells. Really? Combat is overly flashy, and yet dull at the same time. Oh, and the frigging cutscenes. For. Every. Quest. I don't need a backstory for a generic Fedex/kill quest, just give it to me and let me be down with it. This is what ruined SWTOR for me. The first few are okay, after that you just want to get through them. I hate the fact that everything is chopped up into tiny instances, it breaks immersion and is annoying. Anyways, it's an eclectic list, I know. Just my two cents.
    Apostate likes this.
  17. Voison

You got a problem with Lalafells?!

[​IMG]
  18. Einzo

Einzo Cupcake

FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn PlayStation 3 users will be able to upgrade to the PS4 version for free!

Also, PS4 users will be able try out the Beta Test when it launches on Feb. 22, 2014! Stay tuned for more info in the future!
  19. akirasugoineko

akirasugoineko New Cupcake

I tried this game. I am lvl 26 conjurer and tried gladiator and archer aswell. The game is better then the 1.0 version. But what bothers me is that its hard too find your way around and using the map.

Also some standard UI stuff like blocking spammers, sorting inventory, sorting guild member list and so on it not implemented . Also there are way to many loading screens between places.

The dungeons are boring at low level but gets more interesting at higher levels. But it just does not catch me enough. I hope Wildstar will do a better job :) I am looking for the WoW vanilla kinda feeling.
  20. Agon

Agon Cupcake

Where the first dungeons were boring as hell? Far worse than even the first dungeon in FF14 to be honest. For introducing people to playing in a group and getting some mechanics down i think the dungeons are perfectly fine as they are. I'm not saying FF14 does a good job at everything, but comparing it to vanilla wow early dungeons and saying those were more fun feels kinda strange to me.