1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

FFXIV: A Realm Reborn

Discussion in 'Gaming Arena' started by Einzo, May 23, 2013.

1. Cheven

Cheven Cupcake

Still a decent MMO to play while we're waiting for Wildstar. But there's so many basic functions and features that are missing and it's quite sad that SE didn't implemented these things.

For.example:
    Right-click on players name to report.
    Can't talk to NPCs while you're on a mount.
    Can't kick people from dungeon
    No gear check whatsoever when queuing for dungeon.
    -Combine: "You can't kick people from dungeon" + "No gear check" + "Facepalm player with terrible gear" = insanely bad experience.

We've a long list here: http://filthy.ws/forum/index.php?topic=210.0
  2. Fishsticks

Fishsticks Cupcake-About-Town

Just as an FYI - I believe this is being done on purpose (see the Producer's letters) as it has some sort of relationship with breaking immersion or making cities less immersion based or some-such thing. They mentioned they are working on a few of the same things you mentioned (like report/ignore and item sorting in your inventory) but there's still plenty of little QoL issues to be fixed up
  3. Azzurri

Azzurri Podcaster

The sheer boringness of combat doesn't allow me to enjoy the game. It's just so bland, I can't really explain.
  4. Voison

Voison Moderator • Foxy Cupcake

They have already said they are adding gear checks / gear score for dungeons. They plan on adding a lot of things.
  5. Cheven

Cheven Cupcake

I agree. Combat is pretty much straight forward and I got that feeling that I'm spamming one button all the time. It has some O.K effect, but that's all.

Voison@ I understand, but imo it's a failure not having this implemented already. When dungeons plays a huge role in FFXIV after you hit 50 and while you're leveling (Story dungeon q). Upon that there's no gear check or whatsoever and if a group is going to work properly. You need people with decent gear versus that dungeon you're facing.

It's utterly impossible to complete a difficult dungeon (gear check), when you're playing with people that have rubbish gear and are equipped with lower gear level for.example.
  6. Fishsticks

Fishsticks Cupcake-About-Town

Never had this problem TBH - not enough Filthy Gorgeous people playing or what? We just grab people from our Free Company for dungeons since you only need 8, never had an issue. I have real life friends I play games with, so 4 mans are always covered with people I know. Maybe I just have good networking skills :)

As for the combat stuff, I agree it's pretty basic and standard, but unless you want to play TERA or Neverwinter, I don't know what to tell you. Wait 6-8 months for Wildstar or ESO I guess lol

For me though, I'd rather enjoy an MMO that isn't perfect now, rather than play nothing or some re-hash of an old game while I wait around with the hope that one of the games coming out in the future might, possibly, maybe, satisfy all my wishes (which won't happen anyway, there's always going to be something missing...like open world PvP objectives - I see you Wildstar)
  7. Garchomp

Garchomp New Cupcake

I'm playing this right now while I wait for Wildstar.

The game isn't horrible, but it isn't for me.

- Very slow combat. 2.5s GCD. Off-GCD abilities not being able to be used sometimes during GCD (some say it's due to animation locking and others say it's due to lag and others say it's due to a hidden 0.5 GCD; it's not as noticeable on PS3 because you take a bit longer to press subsequent skills, but it is on PC.)

- The world is extremely strict. Tons of invisible walls and you have to warp between zones.

- No open world PvP. While this isn't as important for many players, it is to me. I love that feeling of danger that mobs can't give, the impromptu skirmishes that form, etc. It makes the world more immersing for me.

- Superficial mechanics. If your character has a jump ability, their hitbox isn't where they are, but where they jumped from and where they will land. Many rapid strike attacks are animation only with the final hit being the actual damage. For me, these cheapens the feeling of combat.

- Horrible pet AI and clumsy pet mechanics. The AI is not efficient, so if you want the most out of your pets, you have to cast it manually. Which is fine, but the pet mechanics are unreliable when casting them during your GCD and some macros are not working properly so you have to use your own 3rd party macro system.

- Unpolished targetting system. If you tab target next/previous after your target has died, it continuously targets the corpse and to target something else, you have to either click or target nearest enemy. Tab targetting nearest to furthest is not too convenient: if you have mob A and B on you with B unnoticedably/barely closer to you than A and you are targetting A, tab targetting nearest to far will make you target a random mob C far away. This is pretty frustrating as a tank. I think you can somewhat deal with this a bit with "battle" targetting hotkeys instead (which only works on a radius around your target) but then there's no macro for that so you can't combine tab targetting with autoattack. Click targetting is also unreliable on moving targets.

And many other unpolished issues that I don't hold against the game as it's pretty new.

Overall, I'm enjoying playing it with friends, but only because I'm playing it with them. The game in itself isn't for me. I personally feel that having it be playable on controller gimps it for keyboard/mouse players--I think this is one of the motivations for having a 2.5s GCD and why many players don't mind off-GCD abilities not working immediately when GCD starts (because it takes them awhile to cast that ability subsequently anyway.)
  8. Voison

Thats why you don't pug till then. ;)
    I just do speed CM runs. Problem solved.
  9. Cheven

Cheven Cupcake

Glad I've FG members to play with at least.
  10. Einzo

Einzo Cupcake

Really enjoying the game so far. There are much much more contents coming soon. YoshiP has done a great job in reviving the game!

My Free Company and me having a chillax bonding session by the campfire. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Fishsticks likes this.
  11. Malorak

Malorak Cupcake-About-Town

Ok. So I started this game, had a blast by feeling like a special snowflake (holy cow you become level 20 and are already a big hero.) and played some more, had shivers when facing ifrit and then!

I noticed. This is basic. This is bland. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy tab target MMO's - I just killed Galakras and the Iron Juggernaut in Siege of Orgrimmar and had some good nerdrage going on about our tank and 1 healer soloing the last 10 million HP of that monstrosity of a Dragon - But...

I don't know. It is a cool game, yes. Chocobo riding>Every other Mount, and even if it is just for the nostalgic factor, simple mobs have telegraphs (which usually don't do <REDACTED> though) and pulling 3 or more mobs w/o CD's usually leads to death

...But...I don't know. Maybe it is me growing old of this, even when I love the Soundtrack and atmosphere of this game, or maybe...I don't know.

I do somehow have the crave to play it more, but I also have the crave not to. It's strange, really.

I can recommend it to everyone who likes tab target play - but I got to say...Leveling may go by in a decent level of speed, but rotations etc. are kind of...Boring.

Tanking is all about positioning your AoE abilities (99% of all Dungeonfights are AoE fights. At least early on. Meh.) and if you're not playing a Marauder low level tanking's supposed to be veeery frustating from what I've heard.

I love its ideas. I love how it looks. I like how you play it. But...Ugh. I don't even know what.
    Witless and Agon like this.
  12. Lookeba

Lookeba Cupcake

I already gave my account away to a friend. Just more money wasted.
  13. Scarzi

Scarzi Cupcake-About-Town

this game is just awful, everything is just a grindfest and uninteresting. Once I hit 50 there was nothing to do. Primals should only be done to get peoples relics. So that leaves one dungeon and one raid. Not to mention all the small problems that end up to be this massive ball of headaches.

I gave it a serious try, +1 relic and all darklight gear but it is just bad. Wasted money.
    Lookeba likes this.
  14. Cages01

Cages01 New Cupcake

Grindfest? So you are one of those whiners.... Back to WoW,problem solved-when u ding lvl 20 u get free mount,lvl 40 epic free mount,max lvl free epics.... No effort at all.
    No offense but game is awesome in my opinion and finally i have what to do till WS release. MMO's are just to easy and predictive these days,ff14arr is real refreshment if u ask me....
    Witless likes this.
  15. Maxtross

Maxtross Cupcake-About-Town

"Primals only to get people their relic weapon?" It's a pre-req for entering the binding coil of bahamut too, which you haven't try it yet, i assumed :)
    Overall i'm enjoying FFXIV ARR while waiting for Wildstar. Gearing up my raid group and trying new stuffs, yeah there's so much things to do.
  16. Scarzi

FF: AAR is probably the most basic and easy game possible. Its not hard to obtain gear at all, its more time consuming but far from challenging. Other then the story, it has no redeeming qualities. Fates at the start were great, then once everyone figured out it was the most optimal way of leveling they suddenly became the worst idea possible. The craft system itself its decent, but the rewards are just boring or profitable unless until you are 40+.
  17. Scarzi

If I had a +1 relic, its obvious I was in coil, we finished turn 2 in coil and then I just had enough. That was 3 weeks ago now. They are on turn 5 and people are just dropping like flies from their group because its not fun.
  18. Voison

I'm liking FFXIV so far.. Currently working on Coil turn 4. :)

[​IMG]
  19. Cynister

Cynister New Cupcake

I'm sorry but this game was/is just horrible IMO. I could not even get pass level 12, I just could not do it anymore. I rather play Rift instead and that is saying something...
  20. Einzo

Einzo Cupcake

PvP!!