1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

First build in 7 years

Discussion in 'Gaming Arena' started by KGASM, Dec 31, 2013.

1. KGASM

KGASM New Cupcake

Hey folks,

As stated this is going to be my first build in 7+ years. I haven't built anything since just after high school, so I'm a little out of the loop when it comes to parts and tech these days.

Unfortunately it may be time to shelf the laptop for gaming and save for travel, it's outdated and just doesn't perform where I want it to anymore. I had been considering the ASUS ROG G750JW but decided not to shell out that kind of money when I could build something more powerful for significantly less.

So, onward to reluctantly building a desktop. I'm on a bit of a budget due to the fact that I no longer have a desk, monitor, or keyboard after scrapping my old gear years ago and moving.

Without further adieu, I will be upgrading from

AMD Turion II p540 Dual Core 2.4ghz
    8gb Ram
    ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5400 Series, I believe it's the 5470, but I can't be positive

to

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2sNi9
    Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2sNi9/by_merchant/
    Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2sNi9/benchmarks/

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.96 @ SuperBiiz)
    Motherboard: ASRock B75 PRO3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($83.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: A-Data 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($79.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Hitachi Ultrastar 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
    Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($249.99 @ Microcenter)
    Case: Apevia X-DREAMER4-GN ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Mwave)
    Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($64.99 @ Microcenter)
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer ($20.98 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $779.88
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-12-31 16:30 EST-0500)

I won't be building until Feb. and I realizes that prices are subject to change but I'm looking for a bit of constructive criticism. I know w're not supposed to talk about how the game is currently optimized, but how do you think this will fare with WildStar? In Solo, Raiding, and PVP environments.

Wall of text over. Thanks for reading. :up:
  2. Mellkor

Mellkor Well-Known Cupcake

Build Seems Fine, even to the point of excessive. Perfect for wildstar :)

Heres something to ponder tho: Switch to a ATI 280x and dump your idea for a 1tb hdd get a 500gb Samsung 840 EVO instead?

LOL, wish we could get prices like that here...

Although, Actually running the numbers for my country worked out not to be that bad (relative parts)
    We usually get the shaft tho, especially with video cards :)

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor $259
    Motherboard: ASRock B75 PRO3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard $65
    Memory:Kingston 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory $84
    Storage: Hitachi Ultrastar 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ?
    Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card $309
    Thermaltake USB3.0 Commander MS-II $55
    Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $95
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer $22
    Total: $889
  3. KGASM

KGASM New Cupcake

I know I've said it before, but I'm a bit out of the loop on parts and tech these days. I'm really aiming to have solid FPS in 40man raids and have it still look somewhat pretty :p

Anyway I just compared the 280x and 760 on GPUboss.com and while the 280x is marginally better, but it's also $140 more? Wouldn't the 760 be better for the budget? Is the 760 already overclocked out of the box whereas the 280x isn't? Are you suggesting it for future-proofing?

In no way am I trying to insult you, I am just not understanding your rationale. Remember, I haven't had a desktop in 4-5 years, and haven't built anything in even longer! :p
  4. Mellkor

Mellkor Well-Known Cupcake

R9 280x is an enhanced 7870 ghz edition, so its kinda overclocked already out the box and supposed to be priced at $299.

I might of been thinking about the 770 when i was thinking cheaper, but even still for an extra $50 you get better performance with 1gb of extra memory for high resolutions/textures...just something to think about.

Like i said before tho, Your fine with your current plan.
  5. KGASM

KGASM New Cupcake

I guess we will just have to wait and see how the prices line up come purchasing time. Mucho thanks!:up:
  6. Perigon

Perigon Cupcake

I don't think wildstar will be a very demanding game GPU or CPU wise. Even if you went for something like an R9 270x and a cheaper CPU, you would be able to play wildstar at top settings I'd say. I suppose you might want to future proof it for the next few years though.
  7. KGASM

KGASM New Cupcake

The goal here is to keep a steady, fluid, FPS/performance during warplots/40 man raids.