1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

First name and Last name in character name.

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Sanja Melody, Jun 1, 2013.

1. Sanja Melody

Sanja Melody Cupcake

I'm not currently in the closed beta and i was wondering if you are capable of adding a last name to your character?

I want last names for my characters!

Miatog likes this.
  2. BonusStage

BonusStage Well-Known Cupcake

From what ive heard yes, you can have a last name.

Sanja Melody likes this.
  3. Sanja Melody

Sanja Melody Cupcake

VICTORY

4. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

I actually heard the naming system would be the traditional first name only, no spaces, numbers, etc.

I'm not actually certain myself but if there are last names, I'd prefer we determine them at a later date while already in-game rather than at character creation. I like to give my characters full names, but I don't want to include it in the character's name when I create them.

F8L Fool and Kethrym like this.
  5. Kleev

Kleev Cupcake-About-Town

I want first and last names BADLY. I also want to be able to use at least a limited amount of special characters (hyphens and apostrophes in particular). I don't care if either of these can be abused. Inappropriate names can be reported and dealt with.

Also, I don't want to see a legacy type naming system that SWTOR used (all characters shared a "last name").

6. SniperCT

SniperCT Cupcake-About-Town

I kind of go both ways. The Lotro way (which is the way you describe), or the GW2 way, which makes it unique. I like the latter because lets say I want the name Tyra. I'd have to be really, really fast to grab it. Or I could give her a last name, and bam. I get my IC first name and I get a unique name for game purposes.

7. Miatog

Miatog Cupcake-About-Town

Honestly, first game I played with last names, I hated it...but it's grown a lot on me. I like the idea of letting you choose to have a last name or not.

8. Mr_Wayne

Mr_Wayne Cupcake

I have always liked having the option of spaces in your name because not only for last names but also I can create titles like Lord or The (cheesy i know but still). It just allows me to be more creative and not have to do mrwayne which looks stupid imo.

9. Sanja Melody

Sanja Melody Cupcake

I want last names so that i can have reasonable name. If you go through all normal names in the world after like a few months they'll all be taken and you have to call yourself something random. By adding last names i'll be able to call myself something reasonable.

10. F8L Fool

F8L Fool Cupcake-About-Town

As a veteran EQ player I like surnames but it can also get out of hand if it isn't handled properly. For starters putting spaces in a name to create a last name isn't the right approach. Make an actual surname system where you unlock it at a certain level. That way you gain a sense of progression and have less people with names that are absurd to look at in chat.

It's one thing to see a character name Mike or Michael when you see them speaking in chat. It's another to read Mike Tyson and Michael Jackson. Restricting last names to surnames that only appear above your head and not in whispers/chat/etc. is the best.

Xlugon Pyro likes this.
  11. Eluldor

Eluldor Cupcake-About-Town

From what Jeremy Gaffney replied to my question on this topic, No. Unless they have changed this and your hearing is from beta folks.

Character in game name is JPHigginbottom. Not J P Higginbottom or J. P. Higginbottom . I think that answers your question well enough.

Several threads on naming already, can look them up to see the "fuss" on this topic.

12. Vyver

Vyver "That" Cupcake

To be fair, Gaffney's answer was "we currently have one word names because of an exploit in the whisper/reply function regarding names with spaces" so it's not like it can't change.

I mean, I hope it changes, as there's only a finite number of words creatable with english letters that are actual...words. Eventually you're going to run out. Letting us use at least one space would exponentially increase the number of names we would have at our disposal.

Eluldor and Naunet like this.
  13. Sanja Melody

Sanja Melody Cupcake

My problem is when creating my character i don't wanna be forced to have ´ over my a's to be named Sanja which is what i'm known for. Or melody. If it was something i would unlock at another point it would still say in my character creation "Sorry, that character name has already been taken by another player."

So when i'm known for having Melody as a last name you want me to call al my characters SMelody, JMelody and SMelody

Because in guildwars all my characters had melody as a last name and my characters was Sanja, Jasmin and Sandra. The point is not that i just want a last name the point is that i want people to see my full name.

Sorry i looked for another thread for a while but got too lazy at some point.

I really hope because in guildwars i don't remember such problem.

14. Eluldor

Eluldor Cupcake-About-Town

His replay sounded more like a possible problem they thought of from early on, for reasoning against more than 1 name or using a (Space), instead of an exploit that they're currently facing.

Are you quoting his response to my initial asking about names exactly in quotes, or is that another response he provided to someone else. If you can provide a link, that'd be cool.

Edit: i found someone quoting his response (but didn't track down the thread with the original) "No space bars for first/last at the moment (it makes doing /tells very tricky and even somewhat hackable). Numbers will probably stay in (is there an argument against, by the way? Might be especially good for Mechari names, etc.)"

It is an at the moment response, and this feature is more present in MMORPGs today, so I hope they implement it. Honestly, I don't see how they got themselves so narrowed down into their single name option when compared to games that have been released in the last couple of years. - Hoping for the best, I know a lot of dialogue has been up since that original reply.

I don't. I'm all for two names, but that is the system in game atm.

15. Miatog

Miatog Cupcake-About-Town

Different game, different code, probably different engine, different issues. I hope they do clear up this issue before live and let us use spaces.

16. Sanja Melody

Sanja Melody Cupcake

Let's talk solutions then to their problem. I'm using my own name as an example.

So when creating my character there's gonna be a space: Sanja Melody
    Though in the code it should write: Sanja_Melody
    That would tie up the two words together? so that when people want to whisper a person with a last name they go "/whisper Sanja_Melody" But everywhere when you see the name let's say i reply to someone it should go. "From Sanja Melody: Hello" It's gonna make it a little tricky to code but i think you get what i mean.

Con's
    The problem i can see with this is that if a newcommer in the game has to whisper one of his friends and he has a space in his name they are gonna have to find out how to do that. And that can be a pain in the butthole to do.

What guildwars did was hiding a lot of all of this so that when you had to whisper someone directly it gave us 2 boxes to write in in the chat. so that when you wrote /whisper it would do like this.
    [Whisper] "Insert name here" "Insert text here" And seperated the two texts from eachother. That means that in the coding you would be able to write that every space that is written in the first box becomes a. "_"

Con's
    The problem i can see with this is that it looks ugly. Though it would solve all the problems, and the same can be done when adding a friend though there's no text afterwards and that's just the name so again in the code it could change all spaces to become "_"

What do you think of these solutions?

17. popober

popober Cupcake-About-Town

I want a last name too, preferably a system that asllows spaces and a small letter for the first word.

Kinda like "Luke fon Fabre" where "fon Fabre" is what you type in the last name box. I've always had a very definite name in mind, but never been able to use it in any game. Closest I could was in TSW with their name, surname, and callsign shtick which, while nice, still wasn't what I was looking for.

Please. Yes. Carbine. *smile*

18. Dave Bowman

Dave Bowman New Cupcake

Me, I'm pretty sweet on the thing that... I think Cryptic? does. Where the name's totally independent from the handle. So I run around as Dave Bowman with all the other Dave Bowmans, but you can whisper me @icelandicdumbass or something. I think GW2 handles it a bit like that too, but still restricts char names.

19. Whatley

Whatley Cupcake

I don't know, I feel like First and Last Names combined with Titles and Guild names is just going to have everyone running around with a Billboard above their head. IE:

Excalibur Fandango, Slayer of Stupid, Incompetent, and Dissapointing minions
    <Is Wildstar Out Yet>
    But I feel this can easily be fixed by not having stupidly long titles and a proper balance on how long your name can be.

20. Sanja Melody

Sanja Melody Cupcake

The setup of their name could be like.
    "Guild name" "Name"
    "Title"

So that IE my name would say:
    [DiM] Sanja Melody
    The explorer

And that wouldn't be that bad would it?

And that is ofcourse expecting that you shorten out your guild name so instead of just writing your guild name.
    Excalibur Fanango

It would also ask for you to shorten it out.
    So infront of your name it would say [EF] Or if that is taken which it probably is you could name it [ExF] And then it wouldn't be that huge bar. I agree that it would look stupid to have the full guildname above your head.