1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

First negative impression of WS

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Azzurri, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Azzurri

Azzurri Podcaster

I have not seen many negative impression of WS, but over at massively.com Andrew Ross gives his first hand account of his play through.

You can read it all over at

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/06/12/e3-2013-not-so-wild-about-wildstar/#continued

2. kiri

kiri Cupcake-About-Town

I love to read negative impressions to keep my hype in check, but most of that article is just whining about keybinds (which will obviously be remappable in live).

Yes, WS will have maps and you'll have to kill monsters, and all of that other traditional MMO stuff. Carbine has been pretty forthcoming that this is going to be a traditional MMO, not some sort of revolutionary next-gen sandbox. Anyone who is expecting otherwise is setting themselves up for disappointment.

3. Sakorath67

Sakorath67 Cupcake

Massively article? Ill pass, thank you.

Notorious for stupid <REDACTED>.

4. eselle8

eselle8 Well-Known Cupcake

The concerns about the controls worry me a bit. They're easily remapped or taken care of with addons, but sometimes that can be a sign of other problems.

The other main takeaway I got from the piece is that Ross is tired of the traditional questing model. Frankly, I'm happy to see it return after games have been attempting to go away from it with what I've found to be very mixed results. I'm getting the feeling that his tastes may also lean a bit more toward sandboxes, at least from his reactions to other games. That's fine. Different people like different things, and I'm fairly confident that many people like quests.

5. FlamingRuby

FlamingRuby Cupcake-About-Town

Well massively is a well know World of Warcraft fans lair.
    I am not surprised that they are trying to calm them down by actually saying something against Wildstar.
    Next post please:)

ps.That is easy understandable if you check the post on most Wildstar videos.
    People saying staff without even thinking.
    F.E the game is Free to play.How you know it?Well i want all games to be free to play cause i am subbing to WoW.

6. PackOfHighly

PackOfHighly New Cupcake

The article made me worry we don't have the standard left-click hold to turn camera, right-click hold to turn character, and hold both to move, but I can't imagine Carbine would mess with that when they say they are designing a game for people who love MMOs

Mel likes this.
  7. Zap-Robo

Zap-Robo Administrator • King Cupcake

I think fans (and journalists who are close to the product) are simply starved for information at this point. We essentially know it all and have seen it all - especially what's in the lower levels (I feel I could play the Northern Wilds and at least Early Deradune in my sleep!)

I feel he's got some valid concerns - even at Arkship the double-tap to dodge was causing issues but a lot of that can be fixed with keybindings. The Whirlwind ability he describes with having issues on I was able to use at PAX East/Arkship US without the issues he describes though - he may need a little practice!

Also, WildStar feeling too familiar when compared to other MMO's? I hope so, in early levels - there needs to be a learning curve leading new/seasoned MMO players fromt he simple stuff they recognise into the more complex stuff that would baffle them if it wasn't introduced incrementally.

Imagine being thrown into the WildStar deep-end - call-in quests bugging you while you're trying to dodge overlapping enemy telegraphs via rolling past friendly telegraphs while potential Path content scattered around teases you from the edge of the screen.

Or worse yet - standing in the middle of the zone with roaming mobs and apparently nothing to do because you're expecting quest bangs and there are none!

8. JoeDragon

JoeDragon Cupcake-About-Town

Post something opposite to popular opinion for page views!? Never!

His main complaints were about the controls and not being able to try something non combat related. Well, I think he expected too much from a limited demo that was thrown in last minute. They're in the Alienware booth I believe, so they aren't really there in force.

I still haven't seen anything about that private off site meeting that Gaffney is hosting. I bet that's where the new stuff will be disclosed.

Joukehainen and Mel like this.
  9. Sawpaw

Sawpaw Cupcake-About-Town

Since GW2 left out the option to bind keys to the mouse scroll, I now find myself hoping and praying that Carbine do not F-Up the control system also. This is basically my hint to any dev that maybe reading this thread, Please do not leave out mouse scroll keybinding!

Calsic likes this.
  10. Ico

Ico Moderator • WSC's Gentle Flower

That's just not a fair accusation considering the majority of Massively's articles on WS and the light they paint on it, just because they put out a semi-critical article doesn't mean it was done to pander to WoW fans. If there are serious control concerns, it's a good time for them to surface (if they haven't already) while the Dev team still has time to change and re-tweak them.

11. PackOfHighly

PackOfHighly New Cupcake

That's an important point. Bind to scroll is very useful.

I also find it interesting the warrior's whirlwind is hold to channel instead of channeling for a set amount of time when ever you press the key once

12. AcidBaron

AcidBaron "That" Cupcake

First off,

I would like to point that that the same person was overly positive about TESO, nowhere near as critical about annoyances there.
    Secondly we have found the need in general to correct massively "blog posts" about the game.

So i have to say that the person was either hoping for exclusives that we know already won't come from this E3 or went in fairly biased.

Most of it's negativity is regards the ability to keybind and it being a rather limited test demo, yet instead being a "mmo veteran" and a writer knowing this can be standard at this stage in the game when it's getting previewed.
    He didn't found it needed to factor this in his objectivity and made it pretty much a rant about that whole way through.

So to repeat, it wasn't a write up it's simply a rant. All other write ups and leak reports have been positive, this will give something for those not looking forward to the game to hang onto for a while and all the rest to ignore untill a more informed piece surfaces.

Sera Serenity likes this.
  13. Leviathain

Leviathain New Cupcake

I'm glad we have a negative review, we are in closed beta guys. There should be problems with this game and people should be complaining, that's normal. This game is going to be great but you have to remember its an MMO it follows the holy trinity, we are not getting our hands on some new genre.

The game is going to feel like an MMO guys, i don't know what people are expecting out of leveling and thinking this is gonna be ground breaking stuff. I mean they are introducing some cool new stuff but at the end of the day your doing the same stuff you have done in any other MMO there is no way around that. That is not an issue to me. As for combat of course its going to be awkward if you can't change the controls to what your used to. World of Warcraft feels weird if i don't key bind it.... Ok? that doesn't make the game bad. Just means that different people have different preferences when it comes to playing.

The Developers listen to what people say about this game and i bet they are happy to see a negative review. What we are seeing now and the polished game we will see at launch are two very different animals.

14. Apostate

Apostate Well-Known Cupcake

Hipsterish article. Felt a lot of words were wasted sneering at how "conformist" the game is, then more were wasted on not being able to remap keys (how many demos let you remap keys?), then more were wasted about how the writer knew this was a beginner's intro demo but complained anyways about how he couldn't test more advanced features.

This was an article with 1 paragraph of substance that dragged on for 9.

15. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

Did this guy actually play the game, or is it just impressions from videos?

Edit - blah, ok yes he did play it, I posted before I went over to the article.

16. Azzurri

Azzurri Podcaster

Played a demo at E3

17. Apostate

Apostate Well-Known Cupcake

And criticism is fine, good, healthy, etc... when it means something. That wasn't an insightful analysis, it was whinging.

18. JoeDragon

JoeDragon Cupcake-About-Town

Yep I got same feeling. I too long for a truly Sandbox MMO. In fact Wildstar is the ONLY Themeparkish Quest based MMO that has really gotten my juices flowing in a long time. However, other than sandbox, there isn't really an alternative other than a quest based system. Sure you have games that claim to be different, but they just deliver quest content in a different package.

As for the control complaints. I wouldn't worry. I think this guy is just used to Hot key, stand there and spam type MMO's. Where Wildstar is more action based, I'm thinking he just wasn't used to it and found it uncomfortable because of that. If everything is re-bindable on launch, that's all that matters.

19. Myrrdhinn

Myrrdhinn Well-Known Cupcake

Well.. It was a very limited demo with no options, based on the article. I wouldn't worry about key mapping and controls.

In Massively's defense, Elixabeth Claire and Bogotter writes good articles for them.
    This time, the reporter was already frustrated and I bet he hasn't slept much. :p

20. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

I also wonder if a person who is involved in a large website like this, gives his feedback to the Rep who is there at the booth. I mean if he was interested in the game, but found issues, wouldn't you want to let the Wildstar guy know what you didn't like about it?