1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Fish Wrangler -- A fun, rewarding time waster

Discussion in 'Gaming Arena' started by ruff_ethereal, Feb 15, 2014.

1. ruff_ethereal

ruff_ethereal Well-Known Cupcake

Shameless plug for my favourite fishing game: Fish Wrangler. (Its Facebook page.)

Also, if any Carbine devs are reading, I'd love it if you could take a look at how Fish Wrangler became my favourite time waster, and implement some of the things its done for fishing or other collection past times in WildStar.

The main point of Fish Wrangler is, obviously, catching fish. However, it's pretty unique in that the fish look this:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And you start out using this as your fishing pole:

[​IMG]
    Broken Standard
    Or this:

[​IMG]
    Oak Branch
    Then upgrade to this:​
    [​IMG]
    Fancy Rifle Pole
    It only gets crazier from there and I love it. The sheer variety in themes is one of the reasons I really do have to catch and collect them all, poles included.​
    Aside from the usual Gold and Level XP grind, the game also has "Quests" where you catch a certain amount of fish and be rewarded with a Trophy Dish. (There's a Trophy Platter for completing an entire set.) Finishing a Quest will sometimes unlock an expensive upgrade that will allow you to catch higher tiers of fish exclusive to that pole. (They also change the look of your pole, which is my main reason for collecting them--gotta find out what it looks like!)​
    (It's possible to progress through most areas without ever buying a single upgrade. The fish you need to catch can all be caught with your pole leveled to the base maximum. If you're playing to progress through all the zones, you can do just that without being forced to grind for anything except gold and XP.)​
    Other areas like Magma Reef has the "overheating" mechanic where your pole, the Cubey Incinerator (pictured below) may catch fire if you fish one too many times. It's obviously a gating mechanic meant to slow down your progress, but I found it pretty fun and reasonable as it fit with the theme of the area--fishing in the wake of a volcanic eruption.​
    [​IMG]
    The Sig's Underwater Laboratory also had the "Mutation" mechanic, where you played a game of Mastermind to unlock upgrades for your pole. That level is my favourite as the gating mechanic was pretty fun; I still have the spreadsheet I used for testing. The huge reward was the insane ways your pole would "level up" and the mutations it would gain, like fangs, diamond armour, or even eyes.​
    There's also a social element: Night Fishing. It's a feature where you party up with people and automatically go fishing at a certain time, so you can fish while you're asleep or away from your computer/phone. There are also "Mythical Night Fish" which can only be caught with a dedicated group and repeated trips.​
    The whole game is basically one giant time grind with optional premium currency (Red Love Chum, in this case) to make things go faster. But I don't really mind, because I love how the things to collect are so creative, kooky, and fun. There are also rewards and prizes for dedicating lots of time to something--they even have Super Bonus Quests where you collect absurd amounts of fish for a special trophy and quite the sum of free premium currency.​
    tl;dr If you ever make a collection mini-game in WildStar, please make it like Fish Wrangler, where it takes time to collect them, there are tangible, visible rewards to your progress, and the items to collect are varied and interesting.​
  2. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

I love how you make a ''social element'' feel so non-social in 1 sentence :D

Come let's be social and party up to go to bed!!!!!

Anyway, I just hope they make fishing DANGEROUS!!!!!! (for the level you are ofcourse)

Back at 70 when you had to get that achievment....the first time we got him hooked I had a ''Oh God that's a big fish'' moment.
  3. Nexus Elites

Nexus Elites Cupcake

Funny I came across this after just discussing it on my website forums lol. Has anyone actually heard about the possibility of fishing on WildStar? I personally looooove fishing on MMOs, and I would bet Carbine would make it good.
  4. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Last info we've heard was:
    That it was removed and they are remaking it to make it more fun!
  5. Nexus Elites

Nexus Elites Cupcake

*opens up wallet*

This game can't launch soon enough :(