1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

For the Great Meadows... Rowsanok!!

Discussion in 'Guilds, Circles and Warparties General' started by Blue Tunic Man, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Blue Tunic Man

Blue Tunic Man Cupcake-About-Town

So I gave this idea to a friend who's also into Wildstar and RPs and enjoyed the idea. I need opinions from total strangers to help validate it and get some feedback on a potential guild. Also, I know everyone here isn't an RPer but even as such how coolies do you think it'd be? Maybe potential lore flaws from lore gurus that spend more time than I do scouring our wikis

Rowsanok. A group of fanatical warriors (I.E. Rowsanites) that are loosely tied with the Exile to purge all Dominion heretics. With rowsdowers taking forms of multiple gods and goddesses with their own personalities, they try to emulate them best by wearing Rowsdowers skulls on their heads/skins around their armor.

In reality it came around by a bunch of nerds that played a lot of tabletop boardgames and decided "Hey, would this be awesome to LARP out!" and after LARPing piracy and pillaging on actual dominion vessels to the point that they deemed that they weren't really role playing and that the great Rowsadon bestowed them with excellent combat skills.

So the Exiles would have these bands of dellusional religious warrior cults making a swath of destruction across battlefields with nothing more than power armor, some pelts, and a massive two handed swords but with a desire to preserve nature and wildlife for animals, no matter how horrible and mutated they are. Views on Chua on whether or not they're animals is still up in the air.

ROWSTRON! ONWARDS TO BATTLE, BATTLE-BUDDIES!
  2. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Had to fix some typos here ;) it's Rowsdower not Rowsdowser

As far as lore goes:
    You make a solo group that believe in some Rowsdower God that has given them the power to fight the Dominion. While still loving animals/nature/mutated things (this way Aurin's and Mordesh can be added to the group of mindless zombies).

I can see some Granok that has given up on The Way of the Stone, so they can join too.

All in all, there is (up untill now) nothing that really goes against the given lore atm.

HOWEVER!

A note:
    They go against the Dominion Heretics??
    What do they consider Heretics? Seeing as the Chua are so called ''brainwashed''.

Is it not believing in their own God? Cause then you can count in most Exiles aswell.
    Is it for not believing anything? Then the Dominion aren't heretics.

All in all, you need to define ''heretic'' for that group. Why are the Dominion considered heretics?
    So what are the established beliefs/costums?

Also:
    Checked the Roleplay forums yet?
    http://www.wildstar-roleplay.com/

I'm 99% this is something for that group:
    [​IMG]
    ruff_ethereal likes this.
  3. Pestilinz

Pestilinz Cupcake

You had me until you gave Chua a pass
  4. Blue Tunic Man

(I had a long thing wrote up and then I accidentally backspace and lost all my progress. Nooo!)

Yes, I have posted in Wildstar Roleplayers. It's a bit sluggish in activity so I did a bit of double dipping but I don't see the problem since I frequent both of them. Also thinks for pointing out those typos!

I think the reason why it'd be Exile-centric is because the Dominion would have no care for it unlike a band that's already misfits.

The Cassians? Sure, they're like the Humans but culturally they wouldn't -dare- play dress up with some barbarians when you're speaking about them in a broad stroke.
    The Draken is the most biggest possibility out of them considering how they are but they have a debt to the dominion so breaking off, even if it's unofficially to join a cult is fairly unlike still.
    The Chua, who I shouldn't have made a pass at, most likely wouldn't care about it. They got bills to pay, bombs to feed, and this world ain't going to blow itself up for free.
    Mechari: Empathy Module broken. Proceed to destroy everything for the dominion!

So already you'd have a bunch of former-ish exiles in this Rowsdower warrior cult that're no doubt going to be brought fire on by the dominion. With pre-established prejudices it's very easy to paint "THEM" as the bad guys and depending on how I think up the customs, I imagine one wouldn't be hard pressed to label them as heretics.

That's not to say that they find nonbelievers themselves as heretics. They're fairly tolerant of outsiders when considering how warrior cults are in the pasts so they can live somewhat easily with the Exiles even if it's just for the sake of the Dominion's still polluting sacred Rowsdowers grounds!

@Pestillinz I may have to rethink that part over.

More feedback please!
  5. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

I think you misread/perceived/interpreted some of my feedback :p

I'm not questioning why you are exile-centric (focused on Exiles).

I was merely making a list (in my head) looking if everyone could join the cult (with the lore in my head). So my feedback was that it was possible! I never asked why it was exile.

If the underlined sentence would be the reason to call them heretics the i'm afraid so will a lot of the Exiles :D

So again...be carefull with what to write as the reason for heresy.
  6. Blue Tunic Man

D'aw, but heresy is so fun! D;

And alright, I get you now. I'll need to scour the wiki on the dominion a bit more. See if I can badger up a good, hellfire and brimstone reason these guys are horrible.
  7. C1d0s

C1d0s Cupcake

In fairness to the intention of promoting inter-play between other guilds and RP groups, I can understand a certain level of tolerance for "heretics"; however, if you're going to stick with the label of cult then you're probably going to have to accept a certain level of ostracization from others - even in your own faction. If you want to make it believable, while also maintaining the core concept, I think you're going to have to narrow down what goals / aspirations your cult might have in common with your target audience for alliances ( and the opposite for enemies, obviously ), so that you're able to promote more natural growth in the story as opposed to scripted stagnation. This can easily be done by making good use of your selected customs, rituals, etc. so that they promote some sort of co-mingling or socially outgoing tendencies.

It's a fun concept. I've seen similar versions done in many games, and it's very interesting when set up correctly.

P.S. If you're set on heresy, it's more than okay to be at odds with those of your faction. Nobody said you had to patriotic or loyal. So long as you stick to your own code and aren't jumping the fence too often, it would make sense.
  8. Blue Tunic Man

Ostracization is obviously going to come, it's natural when it comes with the territory. Would having open rituals or maybe some kind of mass for outsiders to help spread the great word of Rowsadon! Would that help with the mingling but still keep a level of believability?

I'm trying to maintain a bit of a social flexibly that I could coordinate with other guilds and make guild events together, having open events that makes it easy to waltz into in-character, and all around trying to contribute to the RP environment and not be a shut-in clique despite how easy it'd be to role-play that out.
  9. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

The best option would be:
    In-bred (they are heretics for allowing it)

As we all know the Houses of the Dominion try to keep their blood as pure as possible. So that requires in-bred.
    Or you could be against the blood-rites of the Draken, condemming the entire Dominion for accepting them.

But I would indeed put the Chua off....that part was strange and can give some troubles in the future of a story. Just be either pro Exile against Dominion, or do it more like C1d0s says. So not being full accepting of all Exiles.
  10. Blue Tunic Man

I can imagine Mordesh would have a hard time getting in nor would they have an interest in doing so at all. If it weren't for the dominion abandoning them, they'd still be there with them plus it'd be terribly against science.
    Aurin's a bit iffy too. Any ideas for or against them? It doesn't look like it'd be their suite even with the whole "love for nature tacked on".

Not to mention, mechanic-wise they really can't be warriors but I can imagine making an exception with stalkers. So you'd have Granoks and Humans being the primary composition of the group most likely.
  11. C1d0s

C1d0s Cupcake

How, exactly, you form the cultural distinctions and attempt to weave in a openly social aspect are up to you. In my opinion, the one thing you need to really grasp is whether or not you're married to the idea of a cult or not. Realistically speaking, the vast majority of such organizations are either secretive, very exclusive, xenophobic, or all three. As well, there's usually strict traditions, rituals, worship, and a respected hierarchy. The same can be said about many tribal civilizations - which, to me, sounds more akin to what you're trying to do. The difference between the two being that one is usually less averse to outsiders, though that isn't always the case.

Depending on how you write the background lore, you can swing the pendulum in the general direction of either faction; but, honestly, the more morally ambiguous the better - for your idea, it just make more sense to be dedicated to neither, and simply loathe ANY who cross with said beliefs .. Exile or Dominion.

After thought: I'm not suggesting you need to get rid of the "cult" association. If that's what you want, by all means play the part. It's just a little more difficult to provide access to outside RP unless you get creative in other departments, as I've already mentioned.

After-After thought: I wouldn't write off any races based off of the stereotyped personality. Play to the individual, not necessarily the entire race itself. It's fine to have preconceived notions and preferences, but excluding entirely is somewhat extreme.
  12. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Heard of the ravaging of Arboria? The Chua's who still take recourses of their planet with their great invention ''Reapers''.

That's why ''allowing chua'' can give some problems in the end.

And for all we know, they still have some Aurins captive to experiment on ;) You know keeping them as breeding pets for more experimental bunnies.
  13. Blue Tunic Man

I get you now. That's a pretty good idea to not, at least story-wise, be tied to the Exiles and be more of a fringe group that do their own thing. Of course it'd be obvious that a lot of the non-combat things will be more dedicated towards the Exile since you can't communicate cross-faction on a mechanics level (Most likely).

It'd be the first time trying to role-play out being neutral and indifference to politics but it won't hurt to give it a whirl. See how it pans out and connects with the story.

Ooooh, so that's why it seemed weird. When I originally wrote that I didn't mean for them to be allowed into the fold but that they may hesitate even when they see something that looks like a gerbil trying to destroy them. It's obvious that they're not going to work well with them
  14. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Yeh it's kinda like this:

Cassian vs Human
    Chua vs Aurin
    Mechari vs Granok
    Dominion vs Mordesh

as terms of ''hate''.

Cassian vs humans seems normal (lore-wise).
    Chua vs Aurin because of the planet reapers of the Chua.
    Mechari vs Granok because smaashing a Mechari started the war.
    In the mordesh lore was only spoken of ''the dominion'' and no specific race.

But again:
    If you need lore help, feel free to ask anytime, anyday :D
  15. C1d0s

C1d0s Cupcake

As I previously mentioned, it's generally a bad idea to exclude entire races based on their perceived characteristics and tendencies, at least from an OOC perspective. ICly, feel free to eat that junk up as it makes perfect sense for a group of bat$h17 crazy fanatics to hold certain prejudices for .. whatever reason they want. They're a tad "out there", so it meshes well.

That said, in trying to keep with the spirit of promoting socialization and the possibility of inter-guild RP, that could also be your big draw - much like real cults - in that you would take and/or befriend the outliers of said race and try to provide them sanctuary, kinship, and a sense of belonging where there was none.

Just suggestions.
  16. Blue Tunic Man

You two are swell. Thanks for the clarifications, corrections of typos, and bouncing off ideas.

After a few tweaks and a few considerations on how I want the guild to head and maybe BS some guild lore in my free time it'll just be a matter of a waiting game for the game to release and for the roleplayers to establish themselves on servers.

Of course, I'm still open to more suggestions but this helps tremendously to get other opinions.
  17. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

I don't like it.

Kill it with fire!
  18. Blue Tunic Man

*Lights wolverine on fire*
  19. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

<Bites off your head and devours your innards.>
  20. Blue Tunic Man