1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

For the Horde!! err Exiles... err Dominion???!?!

Discussion in 'WildStar Races' started by tr1age, May 23, 2013.

?

Which do you think will be the "Horde" in Wildstar?

1. Dominion = Horde

54.2%
  2. Exiles = Horde

49.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. tr1age

tr1age Cupcake

If you were a WoW players, you understand Faction loyalty. If you are from the US you understand it to the MAX screaming FOR THE HORDE at every opportunity. Now I am not comparing the games here I am just looking to see what the popular opinion is about which Faction will garner that same PRIDE as the Horde did in WoW for US players.

In my travels I have been to different Blizzard events where it was always interesting to see Samwise go on stage and scream FOR THE HORDE and the crowd cheer back. Anaheim crowd cheered, For the Alliance, BOOOO. Paris, FOR THE HORDE, whistles and boos and silence. For the Alliance and they stood up cheering. Faction pride is important.

Lore wise the Dominion is more like the Alliance in many ways due to their oppressive dominate the world views. And the Exiles are more in tune with the Horde due to their being oppressed by the Dominion The Horde always rode the line of being the "Good Guys" much to everyone thinking smelly ORC = Bad guys. Lore wise they were much more in tune with nature, peace, and honor. The Alliance were out for money, land, and conquest. (I know I just blew a lot of your minds with the Horde actually being the nice guys haha)

These games are different though with their Lore and the Dominion is OBVIOUS bad guy, and Exiles are OBVIOUS underdogs/good guys.

So do you think it will come down to Bunny/(Perhaps unannounced undead) vs Robot/Drakkan or will there be an overall siding with one faction over the other as "The Horde".

Share your thoughts and vote in the poll above!
    CWFWS1 likes this.
  2. Outburstz

Outburstz Cupcake-About-Town

Bad guys? I think not we are merely doing what we were born to do which was rule. WE were chosen by the Elden to make the empire. WE are the ones bringing order to a lawless galaxy. With out the Dominion the world would be an uncivilized waste dumb filled with rabble and rift raft. To stand against the Dominion is to stand against order which I say is bad.

It is the Dominion's destiny to rule and the Exiles fate to perish.
  3. MrJayBob

MrJayBob New Cupcake

As I see it:

Exiles Are more...Chaotic good, their intentions are in the right place but if they win, it could only result in a quick fix, and throw the galaxy into Chaos and Anarchy if they win since, if the dominion is gone, other planets will go into open world with one another

Dominion are more Lawful Neutral, yes they come off as the villains, mostly because they need to be, keep the galaxy under a single banner and destroy those who would go against that peace, and those people are the ones oppressed since it is quite obvious that the dominion has a very extreme no Tolerance policy (see Aurin Lore http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/the-game/races/aurin.php).

to sum it up, Exile wants to win the Battle, Dominion wants to win the War

Personally, I'm going with Dominion, more because I like the races more and I'm really interested how it all plays out on their side (and hope it not the whole..."We're Evil, let's blow them up, muwahahaha...")
    Kataryna likes this.
  4. Red_Death01

Red_Death01 Cupcake-About-Town

I can defiantly get the vibe of "Horde" logic from the Dominion. The exiles more have similar story to the alliance even... When you think about it the Horde was an invading force that crushed the alliance and sent them running only to hold their ground later on. Dominion is more or less doing this exact thing with the exiles. Regardless though the terms "good" and "bad" are entirely subjective... There really isn't a good or bad- it all depends on the individual as the Dominion obviously views themselves as 'good' where the exiles view themselves as 'good'.
    HereWeGo, Huffle Puff and Rumze like this.
  5. tr1age

tr1age Cupcake

See this is what I mean, I think the "Horde" will be seen as the Dominion when in fact when it comes to Lore at the point of WoW timing, the Horde actually has more in common with the Exiles than the Alliance would any day. Trolls, Undead, Sylvanas, Thrall, Tauren, etc etc.
  6. Red_Death01

Red_Death01 Cupcake-About-Town

Well- with the knowledge at our disposal its hard to really say. When I last left wow (round early cata) the alliance were starting to look like the bad guys... hence why blizzard had to put Grom in charge and kick thrall out because the horde was becoming too 'good'.

From the Dominion introduction video apparently they were appointed by the elden long ago and if the elden are suppose to be "the prime" or a "god" race then it is entirely possible that they're a divine force of good in this universe and our reality perspectives are being skewed by wanting to side with the underdog exiles.

To be completely honest though, I personally don't like comparing two games lore to each other as you'll always run into bias statements or favoritism and it doesn't really progress anywhere. Neat subject but, I would rather talk more about how the Dominion are going to crush the exiles... (I'm likely going to be Dominion sided and a warrior/solider... Killin times await me)
    Azhdaha likes this.
  7. Minutemike

Minutemike New Cupcake

Good and evil between the two factions imo is pretty cut and dry. The dominion (much like the alliance) is a fascist society that forces their ideals on the galaxy and those who dont conform to their rule are eliminated ( i.e. the attack on the granok and ariun home worlds).
    Baeldan likes this.
  8. Rumze

Rumze "That" Cupcake

I think exiles are alliance personally but you can't really compare the two game factions. There are just too many overlaps .

The only thing similar between the two games is that they use blue and red for faction colours.

I'm going exile for the record.
  9. Berserker

Berserker New Cupcake

Personally, I view the Dominion as an inverted Alliance and the Exiles as an inverted Horde.

Thematically, the Exiles have much more in common with the Horde. They are a ragtag group of survivors, outcasts, mercenaries, and... exiles. Much like the Kalimdor Horde in WOW, the Exiles are on Nexus to stay. They are colonizing it with the intention of living there for the long-term. The Dominion has come to Nexus because of the Exiles. Much like the Alliance in WOW, the Dominion is a fully established order with a bit of age to it. All the member states of the Dominion have thriving homeworlds with old societies and ancient traditions. Like the Horde in WOW, all the factions of the Exiles have undergone a massive shift in their cultures and societies and none of their member states are established or rooted like the Dominion/Alliance.

Now let's take a more shallow view of these factions. Aesthetically, the Exiles have more in common with the Horde. Though they are not exactly "monster" people (note my usage of the word "inverted" earlier in my post) they are gruff, sweaty, hard-working people with a bit of a feisty attitude. If you check the "Races" page on the main site, you can see the icons for each factions. The Dominion's faction icon is very pretty and elegant, much like the Alliance's. The Exiles' icon is rough and crude, much like the Horde's.

Speaking of the Dominion, let's look at their aesthetics. They are more "monster-like" and thus, on the surface, might appear more "Horde-like." Granted, the Draken actually ARE the most Horde-like race in the game, in terms of both culture, appearance, etc. (They seem extremely Orc-like, specifically.) However, while the Draken are an important aspect of the Dominion, they are not the dominate member race. The Cassians and the Mechari seem to possess a great deal of influence within the Dominion, while the Draken serve primarily as frontline fighters. The Draken do not shape the "feel" or "theme" of the Dominion. Rather, that is fulfilled by the Cassians and the Mechari. The Cassians, specifically, are very "Alliance-like." They are posh, they are rich, they are very enthusiastic about high society, nobility, class, etc. They are not at all like the human exiles, who are a very rambunctious and gritty folk. It's like comparing a car mechanic to a Rothschild.

The Dominion have a very classly, orderly motif. Very neat and efficient. There are rules to abide by. Everything must be run through its proper channel before authorization, etc. The Exiles seem to appear more lawless and spontaneous. As this naturally makes sense due to the positions both factions are in. The Dominion is an inter-galactic empire with multiple worlds under its sway. The Exiles are a group of outcasts huddled together on a single planet.

Anyways, I could go on for much longer about this subject, but I think everyone gets my point. I would also like everyone to note how I did not weigh in a "good" or "evil" aspect to these factions. I believe that both the Alliance and Horde were morally grey in WOW. (Though the Alliance was a lighter shade and the Horde was darker.) I believe WildStar is the same, though very much "inverted" as I mentioned before. Both the Exiles and Dominion are morally grey, while one side is a lighter shade and the other is darker.
    Mondasin, Chooby, Gasmaskftw and 6 others like this.
  10. Jynetik

Jynetik "That" Cupcake

It is kind of funny actually I was thinking about this topic recently and I had a hard time deciding myself.

I am not sure how well WoW's alliance / horde schism translates into Wildstar's Exiles and Dominion. There is actually a lot going on with the alliance and horde that people tend to miss because it isn't obvious at a surface level and most people who play WoW haven't really bothered to play any of the previous warcraft games. The alliance and the horde did not start out as the complex, morally ambiguous, and layered factions that we have today. The Horde started out as a very basic "grr we are bad guys" faction that was responsible for a lot of wonton destruction of Azeroth. The orcish story motivation was always pretty simple "kill humans" and "recruit allies to kill more humans." At least for the first two warcraft games. The alliance in the early days was very traditional, knights in shining armor trying to protect their land and their people from an invasion of green monsters from an evil dark portal. There wasn't a lot of nuance here, nor was there a good / evil paradigm, it was very reactionary in terms of how the factions viewed each other. One thing warcraft has always done is attempt to keep the factions a little more grey and a little less good guys / bad guys, to mixed degrees of success. Warcraft 3 really set up the horde and alliance as we know them today largely through setting up Thrall as a bit of an "everyman" character for the player to relate to which went a long way towards humanizing the horde and allowing players to understand them better. The Alliance during this period was shown to be full of problems, lots of internal conflict, issues with the undead, Arthas turning, and some questionable morals. For each "good" person and action taken on one side there is usually some "bad" action or person to counter it which keeps the factions pretty grey, and shows a bit of complexity to them as they are not all unified.

Pretty much what it boils down to is that the horde and the alliance are in many ways mirrors of each other. You could make an argument for "stability and oppression" vs. "chaos and freedom" but it isn't as big of a motivator as you might think in the overall narrative of these factions. Simply put both factions have different agendas and they pretty much always hated each other from their very first encounter and that hate just keeps getting reinforced with each passing year. Both sides are pretty similar in that they want to exterminate the other side and just live in peace, which of course means that they will go on fighting forever.

Now Wildstar is quite a bit different. In Wildstar there is a very distinct set of differences between the two factions that really sets them apart from the horde / alliance example.

- The two factions in Wildstar used to be one faction.

Unlike the horde and the alliance the factions in Wildstar used to be a single faction called "The Dominion". The Dominion has existed for around 1600 years at this point and up until 300 or so years ago It was one big happy faction of Humans, Draken, Mechari, and <REDACTED> . There was the "war" on the Granok homework of Gnox which was honestly more of an insurgency than a war that happened shortly before (~100 years) the Cassian civil warthat gave birth to a rogue group of granok that eventually became part of the Exiles. After the cassian civil war what you end up with is an Exile faction comprised of a few hundred thousand rebel Cassians, and perhaps a few hundred thousand rogue granok who just sort of do the space-hobo thing for a few hundred years until reaching the Aurin homework which is blow-torched by the Dominion resulting in another small-ish band of refugees that join the Exiles. The <REDACTED> join the exiles at some point but likely their numbers are rather small as well. The point is that the Dominion was the well established, long-lived faction that used to be the only faction, the Exiles are in large part a splinter-group off of the Dominion which radically changes the two-faction make-up of this game compared to WoW.

- The Dominion is many orders of magnitude larger than The Exiles.

Something to keep in mind is that the Dominion is comprised of whole populations of alien races including humans. The Dominion has ALL of the Draken, ALL of the Mechari, most likely ALL of the <REDACTED>, and 90% of the Humans. Meanwhile the Exiles have a few thousand humans, a small splinter-group of radical Granok (probably a few thousand of them), the small population of Aurin that managed to escape the destruction of their world, and an unknown number of <REDACTED>. The point is that Assuming that there are equal numbers of Draken, Humans, Granok, Aurin, <REDACTED> and <REDACTED> (which I know is quite the stretch) the Exiles are quite obviously outnumbered by a large margin. This again is different than the alliance / horde in which the two factions maintained similar populations and had roughly similar amounts of power.

The Dominion is significantly more powerful than the Exiles. Like the good old Star Wars Empire / Rebels the Exiles mostly survive by being clever and winning small victories where they can get them. The Dominion is a massive juggernaut that is as powerful as it is clumsy, they also like to destroy whole planets but without having to resort to a massive McGuffin.

As well unlike the horde / alliance there is very little attempt by Carbine to balance the factions out in terms of their good / bad quotient. Both races have their own motives and they are quite distinct. The Dominion is pursuing a heavily expansionist manifest destiny campaign that they truly believe to be their birthright, and with the servants of their "gods" standing beside them who would doubt it? This does not make them "evil", it does however paint them very clearly as oppressors and conquerors who have little sympathy for those that fail to fall in line with their divine plans. At the same time the Exiles re not "good", they are oppressed for sure, they have been attacked and driven from their homes against their will but they are simply a collection of mercenaries, refugees, and rebels that have their own motivations, many of which involve violence for the sake of preserving their "freedoms". We have a clear difference in factional motivation which again is different from what was going on in WoW, however like WoW there really isn't a good guy / bad guy divide, it's more intricate than that.

...whew

And that's just the lore part!

--- --- ---​
    So for the non-lore stuff... The Horde and Alliance were designed to be as different looking as possible which led to some interesting problems for Blizzard. In World of Warcraft at launch you could only play humans if you went alliance. The majority of MMO players play humans so what happened was most people picked Alliance on day 1 and it caused a massive faction imbalance to the tune of 60/40 or more on most servers. To counteract this Blizzard shifted some of the PvP strength to the horde to make them balanced in PvP against the larger numbers of alliance. This led to a very early divide in the community and further split the alliance and horde apart outside of Lore. This imbalance persisted until TBC when Blizzard attempted to rectify the "pretty race" issue that they had by adding the blood elves to the Horde to make them more appealing to a wider range of people. The Alliance were originally going to get Pandren but it was switched the Draenei at the last minute to give them a more "monstrous" race. And that is pretty much how things have gone in WoW for years, multiple attempts to make the horde more generally appealing and some attempts to make the Alliance more varied.​
    You can also see this in things like zone allocation and faction architecture. The Horde and the alliance both have very distinct visual languages to their zones and tows that inform us the players all about these factions in terms of tonality and general feeling while we are playing. We understand that the Forsaken are spooky, the Humans traditional, the Orcs like spiky things, the Night Elves like nature, etc... All of this again helps to paint a distinct picture of each faction and further push them apart for the players.​
    In order to keep up the idea that both of these factions are morally ambiguous and complicated numerous different NPCs, quest lines, and expansion content has been introduced to give each faction good guys, bad guys, and some just general jerks. There is a pretty equal number of dumb aggressive alliance NPCS and horde NPCS, similar numbers of good-hearted benevolent ones as well. For every good action taken by the Alliance there is often some atrocity being committed to balance it out, same goes for the Horde. Blizzard deliberately set up these factions to be equal, yet opposite.​
    In Wildstar we have humans on both sides which immediately throws out the WoW analogy almost in it's entirety. In Wildstar the difference between the factions are far less visual and far more mindset oriented. Sure the various races all still have their own distinct architecture but there are pretty races on both sides, neither side has crazy aggressive "mordor-esque" architecture or start off in dangerous, oppressive starting zones. Both races are pretty balanced in terms of visual appeal, there are cute races, intimidating races, pretty races, etc... As well there was a deliberate attempt in the earlier days of WoW to paint the horde as an overall more primitive / barbaric faction when compared to the more advanced / civilized Alliance. However in Wildstar this difference does not exist. Instead what you get is a slight divide along a more "clean and orderly" vs. "messy and chaotic" spectrum in terms of how the two factions organize themselves. The Dominion is crisp, militaristic, and detail oriented with big exceptions for some of their races, most notably the Draken. The Exiles play it a little more fast and loose and are more like an actual rebel faction that just sort of gets by with what they can and is less regimented.​
    Something else to consider is that while there was a lot of history to the world of Azeroth where populations of orcs and trolls and others had been living in relative peace only to have their land taken by the alliance, or vice versa there is none of that in Wildstar. Both of the factions are brand new to Nexus and while you could argue that the Exiles found it first, and the Dominion have the better claim due to the Elden influence neither faction really has any history there. The turf war is fresh and both sides have fairly equal grounds to yell at each other about who has the right to be there.​
    There is just a lot of subtle and not so subtle differences between the Exiles and the Dominion to make a horde / alliance comparison really work on more than the most shallow level.​
    *I will update this post as needed*​
  11. Berserker

Berserker New Cupcake

Very good post, Jynetik. Quite a bit of depth to it. :up:

(Were you a RP'er in WOW? You seem to know your Warcraft lore.)
  12. CWFWS1

CWFWS1 Cupcake

Lol, I can already picture the /yell macros in pvp. "For the Horde! ....errr, Exiles!"

Man, it's so hard to say at this point for me which way I'll go. I've been saying Exiles for a long time, but I will have to wait to see the final races. I do like my alts..... ;)

I like the idea of being the underdog, though.
  13. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

I would also agree that a straight comparison is hard.

Aesthetically, I think the Dominion has more of the Horde races, but more of the warmongering, imperialistic type of Horde that we saw in WC1 and 2 and during the post TBC era of WoW. The cassians, while human, very much resemble the attitudes and culture of the Horde's blood elves while also sporting a tribal but warlike race that very much resembles the cultures of Warcraft's orcs and trolls, the draken. Mechari don't really have anything they can be really compared to in WoW, but I see a bit of the undead mindset in them. Perhaps by them being both nonbiological races (the undead are a result of necromancy as opposed to biological developments) they share a common bond. Lastly, the speculated fourth race and their popular association as a small mad-scientist race fits the goblins just right, another Horde-associated race.

The Exiles have less of an aesthetic similarity but their racial patterns seem a bit more aligned with the Alliance's. Humans are humans, although the Dominion's cassians are probably closer to the Alliance's humans than the Exile's humans are. It's just that cassians are even more like blood elves culturally, so the Exile humans don't exactly have a racial equivalent. They stand on their own. Granok remind me of tauren what with their builds and gruff attitudes and perhaps even culturally, but they also remind me a lot of the Alliance's dwarves. They're probably evenly split so I'll leave it at that. Aurin are obviously closely associated with night elves and the aurin just feel like Wildstar's "elf" race to me. However I can see a little bit of draenei in the aurin too, but culturally, they're very much like night elves. What the Exiles' fourth race could be is mostly a mystery so I won't speculate about it.

However, overall attitudes between factions are quite a bit different. While Exiles racially resemble the Alliance more, they seem to have the Horde's WC3 through WoW's TBC vibe going for them: a loose band of misfits, mercenaries, and freedom-fighters trying to survive in an otherwise hostile galaxy. However, the Dominion resemble the pre WC3 Horde as well as the post WotLK Horde. They are more focused on expanding their influence and waging war against those who don't submit. That said, they bear a closer resemblance to the Alliance than the Exiles do in terms of culture, but their imperial Horde characteristics are a lot closer in line with the Dominion. The Dominion really does reflect on the cassians a lot. Culturally and ideologically, neither faction solidly represents an Alliance equivalent, but both factions resemble the Horde in many ways, but only in key parts of the Horde's history.

Wildstar's factions take on their own nature from WoW's factions. I think since most people will choose factions more on the "feel" of it, the Dominion will be largely seen as the Horde faction for their races and the bit of the badass attitude that both the Dominion and the Horde share with it. Likewise, the Exiles may attract more traditionally Alliance players, but probably not to the same extent. Cassians just resemble Warcraft humans better and the only other clearly Alliance-like race is the Exiles' aurin. Since the poll was multiple choice, I selected both factions having the Horde's characteristics.

I think in the end the factions will even themselves out a bit. I think the Dominion will have the edge but not by much. Still though, in terms of coolness I just don't see the Exile races comparing to the Dominion's, but I do know the draken probably won't attract too many people. The granok might get a slight bit more than draken. The mechari are just plain cool and slick looking, and the aurin are just really cute. The rest will obviously be humans, and how people will choose between factions as humans is a more complex ordeal compared to the other races. Even so, I think the factions are equally distinct for their WoW counterparts as are their races. This perspective is sure to get cut down the middle I bet.
    Mondasin, Chooby, Korath and 3 others like this.
  14. Rumze

Rumze "That" Cupcake

Really well thought out posts . /tips hat.

Half the reason I associate exiles with alliance is the colour blue , while dominion is red and more metallic .

Honestly it's more like exiles is horde and dominion is the sith empire. That's the closest I can come to relating to other game factions.
    Xlugon Pyro likes this.
  15. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

That's a pretty good comparison IMO.

I'm also really happy that my preferred faction also represents my favorite color! :inlove: Blue is the shiznat!!
  16. Korath

Korath New Cupcake

First, I'm french, so sorry for the possible typos.:(

On topic, it's hard to say which faction is the more akin to the Horde. I think that Xlugon Pyro is right when he said that the Exiles and the Dominions are different facets of the Horde of WoW. Anyway, i don't feel an Alliance's vibe in this game : there isin't a faction which doesn't wish to fight back because they believe in some (stupid) Global peace (and I say this while being a former Alliance diahard fan, who is disgusted by Blizzard inhability to even undertsand ttheir own creation and thereforce failling when it come to write a compelling Alliance story, but it is not the point of this thread).

The fact that both faction are factes of the "Horde" is, for me, what make a choice really difficult : I like the Exiles thematics of being members of a Resistance against the Dominion, but in the same time, I find that they are a little too... how could I put it ? They feel to "Yankee" for me (freedom at all cost, no Stae above, etc...). Meanwhile, the Dominion feel like a faction which value order and where the political leader is in control of the economy and not the other way around; and yet, there purpose is not the betterment of all the Galaxy but a Manifest Destiny to rule everything (being to... U.S-like again).

But, at the end, I don't think that there is really an Alliance or a Horde in Wildstar, but their own factions with their very own dynamics (I just hope that the exiles won't end as just the reactionnary faction, which is what destroyed the Alliance in WoW, IMHO), leading to an interesting game.
    FlamingRuby likes this.
  17. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Well these things are really tricky to just say it in such a manner.

For one: I'm a lifetime WC and WoW player (WC1, 2 + exp's, 3 + exp's + WoW + Exp's + got atm 80% of all the books)

To just say ''when it comes to lore at the point of WoW timing''.....this just breaks my WoW heart. Since WoW is the World of Warcraft! Is goes on with the Lore it had in WC1, 2, 3 and some books. To just dissmiss years of lore with 1 little sentence is, for a lore-geek, quit painfull.

Is there an exact answer to the Dominion being more horde/alliance like and the Exile being the other?

Short answer: NO!

Even in WoW (i always mean every single game/book about warcraft when i say WoW)
    there have been many times that the horde acted full with rage and bloodlust (Gromm in WC3 if you want to know bloodlust), while the Alliance have done the same (enslaving horde's to fight in arena's for their pleasure, like the romans did IRL).

You can't say that either the Horde or the Alliance is good or bad, they have both different views on the matter (and so do we) so we may find other things as ''good'' or ''bad'' then others, depending the given context and known historie.

Since i have to go soon i aint going all in-depth lore-wise (oh how i wish to go that way).
    But please for in the future don't easily disregard the lore of Warcraft in the past few games/books and only talking about the lore in WoW (which is not even the whole lore).

For example: Fandral Staghelm went to work for Ragnaros becomming a ''Majordomo''. But did you ever got the full answer to ''why?'' he did so from any in-game lore/quests? Malfurion Stormrage had reawoken from his Emerald dream experience, how did he woke up? Have you read anything about the marriage between him and Tyrande?

These are just 2 examples of lore you missed in-game but are in the books, that had something to do with how things went/turned in WoW Cataclysm. The game doesn't contain the full lore!

If we go really lore-wise i think the only statement that is true is the following:

Both Dominion and Exiles may contain come similarity to the Horde and the Alliance, however none of them is ''more'' similair then the other in term of lore.

New part:
    As for the good vs evil part, indeed you just can't go say 1 is good or evil.
    Just how this next picture will show how even 1 person (from an anime) can be all those 9 things:
    Lelouch__s_Alignment_Chart_by_AlsoSprachOdin.jpg

I have to go now, but i wish this discussion GL though :D
    Yorobashi and Verilyn like this.
  18. Dualist

Dualist Cupcake-About-Town

I can't help but think of Assassins and Templars while reading this thread.
  19. Deimos

Deimos Cupcake

From my point of view I don't think you can compare them, the origins of the alliance and horde compared to the Dominion and the Exiles are very very different. When it comes down to it though it's a matter of personal point of view.

I see the Dominion as the Horde as they are oppressive and feel the end justifies the means, especially under Garrosh. The orcs were sent to azeroth by a power who believes it's a god much like the Eldan believe they were gods and felt they had the right to everything. They are led by a single figure, the war-chief, the Dominion are lead by a single figure, the Emperor.

The Exiles, to me, are the Alliance, they had their world taken away from them, much like the alliance had Azeroth taken away from them during the first war, they simply want to live in peace and are a hodge podge races who share this ideal.

That's the origins though, as time passed these distinction began to alter as both of the faction of Warcraft grew accustomed to their surroundings. The alliance became more dominion like and the exiles become more horde like, since the horde under thrall became a lot more tolerant but the alliance became a lot more agressive.

The current horde is almost exactly how the origin of the exiles came about. There's civil war in the horde, Garrosh has gone to far, and there's a revolution occuring, a lot like the exiles.

So you see, both faction share aspects of the warcraft factions, and so it really comes down to your own personal experience and perspective.
    Huffle Puff likes this.
  20. Homeslice

Homeslice Cupcake

I just saw someone say this... but I have a hard time comparing them to WoW factions but I definitely see them in the way of Star Wars. The Empire versus the Rebellion. And I have always been a rebel! ;)
    Sapien likes this.