1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

For the Horde!! err Exiles... err Dominion???!?!

Discussion in 'WildStar Races' started by tr1age, May 23, 2013.

?

Which do you think will be the "Horde" in Wildstar?

1. Dominion = Horde

54.2%
  2. Exiles = Horde

49.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Nesphito

Nesphito Cupcake

Lol I kind of mashed my Tauren and Orc story, I meant that the Tauren were more about caring for nature and the Orcs for the elements. I guess that would even be an incorrect story for Orcs too since a majority of Orcs are not shamans, I guess I've always loved the Thrall side of orcs. There are exceptions for each race though, like the Grimtotems were not peaceful at all.

We really shouldn't be comparing the races of Wildstar to Warcraft, there just isn't a huge similarity. I said above that races of Dominion are closer to Horde, but even that is a stretch. I mean Draken could be compared to Orcs, but they are by no means 100% an Orc. At the same time the Wildstar races shouldn't be looked at like they are all the same. A majority of Granok may have a specific personality, but not all Granok are going to have 100% the exact way of thinking and acting just because they are Granok.

I think since wow is so big people just tend to compare the factions when they are really their own unique thing. Yes there are similarities from Horde and Alliance in each faction and people will choose to believe what they want. There are people in this thread saying that the Exiles are exactly like the Horde for these reasons, at the same time there are people saying the Dominion is just like the Horde for other reasons.
  2. lelouch

lelouch Cupcake

I have just 2 in mind ^^
    Aurin Bunny hope but Evil
    Cassian Deadly Seduction & Chaotic evil Like my Imperial Agent ;d
  3. Shahdee

Shahdee New Cupcake

Obviously the Exiles are the Horde. A ragtag group of different species cooperating together against a much more unified and established empire (Alliance).
  4. Steampunkette

Steampunkette Cupcake-About-Town

Yup. Everything this guy, here, said.

The Horde in Azeroth is a collection of disparate nonhuman species who actively FLED the Alliance during the Warcraft 3 era, even settling on a new continent to escape the Eastern Kingdoms. The Alliance actively chased them to the new continent, and just outside of Orgrimmar they built keeps and walls, towers and defenses in order to lay siege to an enemy that was in full retreat away from them.

The Alliance, on the other hand, was originally made up of 4 races of mostly humanlike races. And it's a long-lived and well established power within the world. If anything, they're closer to the Dominion than the Horde are. And when viewed through the lens of the game: Neither the Horde nor the Alliance is evil. They're both defensive, offensive, good, evil, noble, underhanded, murderous, preservative... It's not a binary situation.

But in structure and several storyline constructs, at least, the Exiles are closer to the Horde and the Dominion are closer to the Alliance.

-Rachel-
  5. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

It's funny because politically/socially, the Horde and Exiles are very similar. The Alliance and Dominion are far less similar to each other, but are more similar to each other than the Dominion would be to the Horde from a political lens.

Then you have the cultural/aesthetic lens which has them reversed. The Exiles' races remind me a lot more of the Alliance's races. Humans don't really have a sister race in the Wowverse socially but aesthetically, they're human. Granok are a blend of tauren size and toughness with a dwarven outlook on life. The aurin match up very well with night elves, who are nature lovers but also savage fighters. Aesthetically they're not far off from each other either. All in all, the Exiles are a bit more mixed but feel more Alliance to me in racial makeup than they feel Horde.

The Dominion reflect the Horde's racial composition really well. Aesthetically and culturally, cassians scream blood elf to me. Mechari are cold and calculating like the undead, except that their focus is on mechanical tech as opposed to biological or chemical tech. Then you have the draken which are a near perfect reflection of WoW's orcs and trolls.

An odd composition of elements in both factions for sure. When it comes down to it, people will go for the faction that has the feel they want the most. In most cases they'll refer to this as being the "Horde" faction or the "Alliance" faction, but when people say this, they're talking about the vibe they get from the faction being similar to one they're familiar with before. It goes a long way to explain why people are so divided on which faction in Wildstar is the "Horde".
    Apostate likes this.
  6. CaptainYoul

CaptainYoul Cupcake-About-Town

The dominion races fits more the horde but the exiles philosophy really fits the horde
    Xlugon Pyro likes this.
  7. Xlugon Pyro

Pretty much this.
  8. Vulgork

Vulgork Cupcake

Woot? Draken are flippin dragon-people. I think they'll have a great following. They look wicked cool.
    Warslyfe likes this.
  9. Xlugon Pyro

They do but most people end up playing humans or elves. :p As cool as draken are, a lot of people don't want to be awesome dragon people. :p
  10. CaptainYoul

CaptainYoul Cupcake-About-Town

good thing then, i always love to feel more unique when playing a MMO
    Warslyfe and Xlugon Pyro like this.
  11. Xlugon Pyro

Same.

I was lucky that my favorite class and spec was one of the most unpopular specs in WoW so I was REALLY unique. However that was also because Blizzard has a strange concept of "balance".
    Warslyfe likes this.
  12. Warslyfe

Warslyfe Cupcake

You need to switch your "likely" and "potentially" candidates around... join us!
  13. Xlugon Pyro

The final class reveals and a taste of character customization directed towards my top choices will determine what my final decision will be. Perhaps a taste of beta could do the same!
  14. Apostate

Apostate Well-Known Cupcake

Normally, I like to consider myself above such concerns. It doesn't matter how many OTHER people like your class, it only matters that YOU like your class! *thumbs up!* It looks great on paper, doesn't it?

As a lifelong Hordie, I remember the first time I wanted to try out a paladin. Pre-Cataclysm, there was only one race on the Horde that could be a paladin. Blood elves. A lot of other people must have been thinking the same thing, because blood elf paladins were ridiculously common. At first, I thought I could ignore it. I was wrong. That guy acting like a moron in Trade chat? Blood elf paladin. The doofus running around town, spamming nonsense in /yell for no reason? Blood elf paladin. The people doing weird breakup RP right in the middle of the auction house? Blood elf paladins. And what about the retadin that insists on taunting every opportunity he gets because he thinks it boosts his DPS? Yep, blood elf paladin.

<REDACTED> that <REDACTED>. I just couldn't take it.
  15. FoolishLobster

FoolishLobster Cupcake

Guys listen!

Alliance = Blue = Exile
    Horde = Red= Dominion

It's simple math.
  16. Xlugon Pyro

Well I had the planets align in this case. My favorite class/spec in the game also happened to be one of the least popular DPS specs alongside BM hunters but was actually somewhat viable. So I was both rare and also loving my spec.

And the end of the day I'll play what I love. Kind of why I'm still sticking with the aurin despite how popular they are. With only 6 classes, all being hybrids in WS, there will be a lot of whatever I play. I want to play melee so there's a good chance I'll be a warrior or stalker and those two will be played A LOT, especially stalkers as aurin.
  17. Xlugon Pyro

LOL no.

Just. No.
  18. FoolishLobster

FoolishLobster Cupcake

Somewhat viable?!?!?! Filthy casual!

I kid, I kid.

Also why don't you like my math?
  19. Xlugon Pyro

Colors mean nothing.
  20. FoolishLobster

FoolishLobster Cupcake

But the math man, THE MATH! It checks out! You should read my stuff on Elitist Jerks. So much math.