1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

From the perspective as a Guild leader I am excited.

Discussion in 'Guilds, Circles and Warparties General' started by TheJedi, Apr 3, 2013.

1. TheJedi

TheJedi New Cupcake

So many mmos that have come out in the past have paid lip service to what guilds can be about or should be about and the systems in place to make guilds feel pretty awesome about the community they create with in. I am glad to see a developer that is actually at this stage of development really focusing on it. There is no greater feeling in a social mmo in my book then being in a fun organized guild.

Yes guilds can have drama.. But Guilds can foster long term friendships that can transcend any game you are a part of originally. I know I have made friends based on my guilds that are still friends 5 years later. When other games like.. Guild Wars2 didn't really offer tools in place or systems in place to reward guilds... Like the idea of War Plots.. .. I mean a guild gets to build their own Battle Fortress? Sign me up! I look forward to more information about systems in place for guilds and other things guilds can do! And the idea of Guild alliances .. Great idea as well! Love it.
  2. Itharius

Itharius Cupcake

I'm in the process of getting my guild hyped up about this game. It looks like we'll make the jump if we keep getting good news. Hopefully we'll get into the beta and can try out some of the elder content.
  3. Tiberius

Tiberius Cupcake-About-Town

I'm excited how housing my tie into this. Whether the debated subject of a guild lodge happens or not, even being able to open up individual housing will help immensely in creating a close nit social atmosphere, instead of your guild hanging out at the bank in Stormwind or w/e where the screen and chat are both clogged by 95% of the server's chat and lag.
    Chooby likes this.
  4. Chooby

Chooby Cupcake

I really, really hope they implement guild "lodges" as well. I think they'd capitalize on such a lucrative opportunity.
  5. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Isn't that almost the same as when the Guild leader just says his house is the spot to gather around for the guildies when going on a raid?

I understand why people want a guild lodge...but well, it's not like they add some extra things that can't be achieved already.
  6. Tiberius

Ideally, it'd be about the same. The key differences people are talking about is ownership and customization.

If everyone hangs out at the guild leads' house, what happens when he leaves the guild. The members still exist, but it fractures the group and could cause mass leaving with no central hub. With a dedicated guild lodge the leader leaves and his second in command just inherits it, no effect on the populous.

Customization is a factor because if my guild hangs out at my house, they can use my crafting table/raid portal, but they can't touch or change anything. "Earn a cool trophy for the guild? Can't display it here!" With a semi-public lodge, it would be easier to grant 'advanced guild privileges' to dedicated members (i.e. not trolls) to add whatever they or others want. It'd be the PvE version of a warplot (dedicated to a group, show-off-able to puggers/potential members and customizable by group). It'd also likely be MUCH bigger than an individual housing plot. For instance, WoW guilds max at 1,000 members. Try fitting that in the housing plots in the Housing Vid.

Again, similar, but the options grow by a large factor when you get a steady dedicated guild.
    Alverad likes this.
  7. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Carefull with reading! This is a very sceptical view on this topic! Combined with a strong opinionated persons writing (that's me :D).

Then hoping he aint just disbanding the guild so no1 get the lodge.

Also what stops him from kicking everyone out when he (example) doesn't have time for raiding anymore, but wants to still keep playing to game more casually. And he decides to keep the lodge but kick the members.

I can see how people may like it, but then again they should really make it, ''safe''? Or put some restrictions?

If you can have a guild lodge, why wouldn't solo people make their own guild for that lodge instead of a house (for example again).

Ofc i see this being a PvE version, but does this also means that you can do about the same things in a Warplot as in the guild lodge? With this is mean proffesions/crafting etc. ? Or are you willing to give Warparties an Warpartie lodge aswell? Together with the Warplot? (if so all below is no problem).

But then again Warplots can be destroyed (partially atleast, don't know if it can be destroyed completely yet), so does this means Warplots need to be cheaper then guild lodges if they can't be destroyed?

Also if you destroy a Warplot wouldn't it be strange if you can just trow housing plug-ins in it aswell....seems a waste and i don't think you'll be able to do so.

But do you want those plug-ins (from your normal house), be able to be used in your guild lodge? Doesn't that just means PvE'ers have it easier then PvP'ers in that particular field?

Trust me i do see the benefit's from a guild lodge, but then again i can also see so many things that can possibly go wrong. To me it will take quite alot of time in order to make it to everyones liking and not making it seem Carbine prefers PvE'ers above PvP'ers.

Hope you can atleast some of the ''problems'' aswell.
  8. Tiberius

That would definitely suck! Personally though, I've never seen anyone rage quit this hard. I'm not doubting it's happened though (this is the internet).

In many MMOs to create a guild, you need a "guild charter," aka a set number of people have to agree to be in the guild before it can be created. Some people will pay players to 'sign' the charter and then leave, thus giving the leader his own private guild. Again any system created a player will inevitably exploit.

For lodge plugins, I was imagining a separate set of plugins, maybe a few (like lights) shared between housing and lodging. But mainly I was thinking, lets say there's a 5man group quest or dungeon that has an elder game hard mode/achievement to it that awards a trophy of some rare type. You could put that in your private house, but you did it with all your guild buddies, so you guys want to put it in the guild lodge. This is a tease for you guys, "look what we did!" and since it's hard to get, it sparks conversation/ stories of how to get it.

I mean, what's the point of getting a sweet rare item if you can't brag/show it off to everyone :D

I think every community needs someone like you. There's a big difference between cynicism and constructive criticism. Pointing out possible issues can really help tweak ideas for the better. Keep it up!
  9. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Aye, that's my job :p

That's why (i think) they quote me on an ocasional post on settlerinexile.com.

Oke, clear :up:
  10. Screenager

Screenager Cupcake-About-Town

Just my two cents. Before housing before plug ins.... Guild management tools are essential and as far back as laat year the community team said they were very aware of these needs. Its great to know a team underatand you want to tun a guild but you dont want to have to keep 5 different spreadsheets just for your roster. the leas time i have to do admin the more productive i can be in game having fun . Everyone hates being a desk leader
    Tiberius likes this.