1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

GM Events in Wildstar

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Autumnal, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Autumnal

Autumnal Cupcake-About-Town

Well, as the Q&A video confirmed, Carbine will be working with the Community in regards to GM Events...Hey! That's US!

What better time than "now" to start getting our thoughts together, as a collective whole.

Anyone who's spanned multiple MMO's knows that "GM Events" can be very "hit-or-miss", so let's, in this thread, outline things that other GM Events have done right (or horribly wrong).

Example: "Problem: I have noticed in GM Events, that whoever can spam an AoE usually has unfair advantage in GM-summoned "swarm" mob events, compared to a single-target melee toon. "

Feel free to brainstorm, there are no "wrong" answers, just "keep it kind" to your fellow community member's ideas.

This is our opportunity to help bring a positive influence to Wildstar, let's make the most of it.
    MistaMike likes this.
  2. Scrawny

Scrawny Cupcake

I love this idea and it is a great way to improve a game dynamically.

In my opinion a system similar to Rift or WAR, where you are instantly placed into a party when you enter the area and you can have rewards based on the amount of contribution.

While yes AoE can do damage to more mobs at one time, I would imagine that they could balance it so that the single attacks are doing more damage per strike than the AoE which would result in a similar amount of contribution, presuming they were active in battle.

This would go for healing as well, healing the people who are contributing the most would increase your contribution by a higher percentage.

This is a rudimentary idea. I have only had one cup of coffee.
  3. Autumnal

Autumnal Cupcake-About-Town

I do like the "auto-party" idea with contribution levels. The "AoE" OP is (usually) related to the invisible "damage tagging" in a game, often not suspendable once the code is carved in stone.

And "props" for mentioning the Healers, an oft overlooked, and under-appreciated lot, when it comes to DPS-centric play modes, except for Boss Aggro/threat, Healers always know they're "next in line" should the tank fall.

Anyone else with GM Event observations, questions, comments, or concerns? NOW is the time.

What "type" of GM event would you ideally like to see? Boss spawn, "GM Take-down", "Protect the NPC", "survivial" (and of course 'anything that drops epic loots', lol)
  4. starspun

starspun Well-Known Cupcake

I just need to point out that Rift's (and I think WAR's, too) public group system doesn't automatically put you in a party. If you want to join someone already in an area where a public event is happening, you have to click a button that appears on your screen (provided they have public grouping turned on).
  5. Zap-Robo

Zap-Robo Administrator • King Cupcake

In GM Events, I like to see the GM's as major NPC's as speaking roles and leave combat mechanics/fights to regular (potentially spawned) NPC's.

Some fine examples have been in City of Heroes GM events and some early events in EVE Online (back in the days when I was a volunteer GM!)