1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Good potential for griefing?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by DMC9920, Jun 20, 2013.

1. DMC9920

DMC9920 New Cupcake

I'm sure this has been brought up before but I didn't find anything immediately. It seems you could really grief other players in Wildstar by bringing mobs near them. Back in my Asheron's Call days people would do this and it worked because the monsters would attack anything near them. It's harder to do in a game like WoW because usually you won't have any aggro on something someone else pulled unless you attack it. I could definitely see a higher level player bringing one of the group monsters by some newbs just to see them get owned by the big telegraphs. Or they could just aggro as much stuff as possible and bring them near you so that you get hit by the telegraphs. Of course I could be wrong and maybe you can't be hit by stuff you haven't attacked?

Either way I will personally take Wildstar's combat over any other MMO. I think it's a very worthwhile trade-off. It also adds immersion and danger to the game. I remember in Asheron's Call you had to pay attention to the type of monsters you were fighting because they behaved differently and were also strong or weak to different things. Sometimes they would be in packs of 5 or sometimes even more and if you attacked 1 they all came after you. In a game like WoW as long as you are in a zone for your level there is very little challenge or variation. I levelled an arcane mage one time from 1-85 just spamming arcane blast and didn't die a single time while questing. I just watched the combat telegraphs video on the official site and it's pretty exciting to see how differently the monsters in Wildstar will attack you. I am finding it impossible not to get my hopes up for this game.

ruff_ethereal likes this.
  2. Pejo

Pejo Cupcake-About-Town

You're definitely correct that the combat system could be used for griefing; however, it can easily be combatted by spacing out mobs within reason and that there is no 'feign death' ability. But the world should still be dangerous so I'm guessing bad luck for the nooby and the perpetrator will carry on hopefully.

3. Teehk

Teehk Cupcake-About-Town

gotta love Griefing :D

Sevvy likes this.
  4. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Seeing as we also get dodge, double jump and sprint i'd say ''sprint away'' run like hell if you can't handle them all :D

And otherwise, stand strong! and kill them :ninja:

Ian Smith likes this.
  5. azmundai

azmundai Well-Known Cupcake

this can be especially problematic in cave / bottleneck situations. someone who just finished their quest trains 12 mobs past someone as they run out of the cave. will be interesting to see how much that happens in W* or if they can combat it somehow.

6. Inv1cted

Inv1cted Cupcake-About-Town

Why wouldn't they just keep aggro on the high level player? Or are you talking about telegraph cleave?

I'm not really sure how you could greif people with this, I mean everyone who's level 6 (when you get out to the open world) should know to get out of the way of the red. Im also going to say it would be hard to get a high level mob in a lowbie zone without reseting the tether so oneshot cleaves shouldn't be a problem.

Edit; So is this thread questioning if aggro and tethers exist? Because yes on the first and hopefully on the second.

7. Inukeu

Inukeu Well-Known Cupcake

*wonders if he can kite Metal Maw near the Draken starter vilage :sneaky: *

yea might be a issue but im sure most people could get away with a sprint and a dodge untill the mob resset unless the auto attacks were used to greif as I dont think there telegraphed or a certain mob had a massive aoe or a set of stuns etc but even then I dont think it would be to bad really

on another note I also leveld a mage using only Arcane blast in WoW completed preety much all of the cata content with that one spell was a tad mana hungry tho heh

8. Menchi

Menchi Cupcake-About-Town

Personally, I really hate tethers. I loved in FFXI when someone would train a bunch of goblins to the zone in the jungle and everyone leveling there had to think fast and watch for any gobbies returning slowly to their spawns. It added another level of situational awareness, and dare I say, excitement to an otherwise average leveling experience.

Rundo likes this.
  9. AusterlitZ

AusterlitZ Well-Known Cupcake

i love doing that :),in gw 2,since the game was <REDACTED> and i had nothing to do,i would find an afk person,bring mobs to him and watch him die.The mob would reset,i would rez the person,and do it again,until all the gear was broken and he was naked :)

10. DMC9920

DMC9920 New Cupcake

Yea the telegraphs

I don't think fighting will be as trivial as some people are making it out to be. They mentioned they are tuning the zones based on how many times people die, and they don't want it to be too low. One of the low level zones from the videos had a world boss kind of monster in it. That's the kinda thing i'm talking about. Or just a lot of the regular mobs in the area. I wouldn't mind it myself, it's pretty much a necessary evil in my mind. Some people however aren't used to that kind of thing so I just wanted to see what people thought. I'm not sure if stuff someone else brings will actually aggro onto you or not.

11. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

One thing to keep in mind is that the starter zones are phased for a small player pool, so higher level characters likely won't be able to interact with 1-10's at least.

12. DMC9920

DMC9920 New Cupcake

You are the kind of guy im talking about lol.

13. AcidBaron

AcidBaron "That" Cupcake

Yes if people afk somewhere even on the PvE server they can die, and cry about it like a real carebear.

Don't see a problem with this. Considering we won't be able to kite mobs all over the map anyway.

Rundo, AusterlitZ and Mortelugo like this.
  14. Eternus

Eternus New Cupcake

Gotta love the some COMMUNITY that rallies behind being jerks to other player especially lowbies both killing them outright or training high level mobs on them. /sarcasm

But really it sickens me when I read anyone enjoying ruining other peoples fun be it killing them over and over or training mobs on them, that really makes my stomach turn and the reason to this day I won't play on a pvp server in any mmo anymore or intentionally go out to be mean to another person in game.

BrokSamson likes this.
  15. Mortelugo

Mortelugo New Cupcake

Griefing is just one part of all MMOs, I'm all for it, generates a few laughs for sure

Gronky and Rundo like this.
  16. Sqwarsh

Sqwarsh New Cupcake

I wonder how long mobs will follow before they reset? Perhaps it will be set up so high level mobs can't be pulled out of their range and on to lower level players.

17. Riuuki

Riuuki Cupcake

I can't imagine any mobs chasing you through multiple zones.

18. DMC9920

DMC9920 New Cupcake

It doesn't appear that you can from the videos. If someone figures out a way to do it im sure it will get fixed.

19. Zic

Zic New Cupcake

I believe it was levels 1-6 that was instanced, something around there.

20. kuunkulta

kuunkulta Cupcake-About-Town

I can't believe I haven't thought about this myself! Think of all the opportunities the enemy telegraph system brings! Someone stole your kill? No problem, pull the whole area and have the mobs pummel the jerk!
    Oh and all the new ways to jerk the dominion scum around! Even on pve servers!

Gronky likes this.