1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

GPU wars heating up again.

Discussion in 'Gaming Arena' started by Azzurri, Nov 7, 2013.

1. Azzurri

Azzurri Podcaster

If any of you follow tech, which I know many of you do you have seen the GPU wars have been heating up! It's been awhile since AMD has threatened nVidia , but with their new GPU's they really having something.

nVidia did claim the single fastest GPU throne, but at a price; 700. The R9 series are fast and cheaper, but run really loud and really hot. So pick your poison, either way it's a good time to be a PC gamer!
  2. Jaddenx

Jaddenx New Cupcake

Just built a computer with the new 780 gtx ti and couldn't be happier
  3. Ico

Ico Moderator • WSC's Gentle Flower

Nvidia still have AMD by the short and curlies on power. However, the real game changer is Mantle. If Nvidia don't pick it up, al their hardware power will be hamstrung by the fact it's still running on DirectX.

Big developers are jumping on board the Mantle API as well so it's not going to disappear I feel.
  4. filanwizard

filanwizard Cupcake-About-Town

What is Mantle?

DirectX will be the primary video engine as long as MS Windows is the dominating OS, Actually I wish I could find it but there is a reason OpenGL is only just now catching up to DX again and its not technical but was "political" strife inside the group that controls OpenGL that had always gotten in the way of keeping up.

DirectX however has the biggest flaw in that it is MS, Which means any game coded for DirectX has to have its video engine rebuilt for Linux or Mac.

Personally I run a Geforce Titan, And I have already come close to maxing out its VRAM with Blender Cycles.

A big thing is AMD wins with OpenCL in compute measurements, if OpenCL pushes CUDA out completely Nvidia will fall behind in the compute side of things until they catch their drivers up. I could see CUDA being replaced simply because its bound to one hardware vendor.