1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Guild Alliances

Discussion in 'Guilds, Circles and Warparties General' started by pseudo, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Shadydemise

Shadydemise Cupcake

That's an interesting idea and not that I'm aware of. I don't think this would work that well in practice if boss-fights take multiple weeks to kill. There is usually some sense of family developed with the people you raid with. If I'm raiding 4-6 days a week, 4-6 hours a night, I want to do it with people I get along with. This usually creates a very strong sense of friendship that can even go outside of the game. More often than not, I'll want to be in the same guild as the people I spend this much time with.

Once again, this is only discussing the top end of the leaderboards. I think alliances have much more potential when not pursuing #1.

I also separate the ideas between competitive raiding and guild alliances in general. I'm all for giving us tools that allow many guilds to band together for specific causes. I just don't think this translates well for competitive PvE. Now, world PvP is something that can be INCREDIBLE with guild alliances/enemies :D
  2. Ayr

Ayr Cupcake-About-Town

Ah but the siege I linked to was from AION, and those were PvE objectives (PvPvE). I think given the chance maybe it can be as successful in larger purely PvE raids :)

There are definitely certain difficulties and agreeing tactics, loot etc must be done maturely at the top end. As far as I was aware, the guilds had meetings of their officers now and again and worked out their differences and worked out who would be leading the next siege and so on.

Don't get me wrong. When I left WoW, during TBC, I had seen too much nonsense to have faith in players, guilds, guild leaders ever again. But I think think I was just on a bad server full of selfish players.
  3. Shadydemise

Shadydemise Cupcake

Bah! Time to change my statement again :p

When I said competitive PvE, I should have said 10-40 man PvE. After reading your post and watching some more videos, why not make a giant PvE encounter? What if there were a world boss that required ~100-120 players? While it would have the potential to be frame-rate-hell for people's computers, that would be AWESOME!! Those are the types of things that could make Alliances special.

Also, I don't think it was just a bad server. I think we just need to find the few good servers ;)
    Yakzan and Ayr like this.
  4. JarNod

JarNod WildStar Haiku Winner 2012 / Lead Guinea Pig

I don't see 40-man competitive raiding guilds forming an alliance though. Alliances seem more focused toward getting the people who don't really want to be world first, but do want to experience the 40 man content together. If you are competing via raiding, you want everyone in the same guild following the same rules, otherwise you won't be the best.
  5. thrastorm7

thrastorm7 Cupcake-About-Town

hmmm...

If there are 2 guilds that both want to experience 40 men content, why don't they just merge?

Am i wrong? lets say you have 2 guilds, both want the same thing and both have same principles, why not to form 1 guild that will actually provide them what they seek.
  6. JarNod

JarNod WildStar Haiku Winner 2012 / Lead Guinea Pig

The problem arises when those two guilds have completely different playstyles outside of the 1 night a week they spend together raiding 40 mans (or 1 night a month). Maybe they don't necessarily get along. My first WoW raiding guild allied to start raiding MC. Of course, we eventually recruited more players to raid on our own, but the alliance helped us greatly
    Malisent, Yakzan and Recruiter like this.
  7. thrastorm7

thrastorm7 Cupcake-About-Town

I fully agree on this one, but if you ask me, if you search you will find a guild that you have close views, thats what my experience says at least
  8. FluidD

FluidD Cupcake-About-Town

I prefer smaller guilds personally, but with the 40 man raids I am kinda hoping my guild ends up being a bigger one as I would love to compete for leaderboards in raids. Its been a long time since I have raided competitively, the last time being WoW Wotlk. Since then I have been all pvp and casual dungeon games. I am really excited to get back into the raiding scene especially on that scale.
    That being said I agree with what appears to be the majority, I do not think alliances will work, especially not for 40 man raids. It never worked for the alliances I was in (briefly) in wow. I think 40 man is a better size though as it simplifies things vs 25 mans. 2 guilds each brings twenty, 4 guilds bring 4, 3 guilds each bring 13 and then draw straws lol.
    When I was in alliances it never seemed to work out well after a few weeks-months. Eventually you come to a challenging fight and someone from another guild is messing up, be it a healer or tank, then the members of the other guilds get pissy about it. This eventually travels up the grape vine and the leaders start complaining until it turns into a full blown war between these people. Each guild has their own members and their first concern is their own guys, that will never change.
  9. VooDoo

VooDoo Cupcake-About-Town

one part of the missing equation is that some peoples preferred play-style is belonging to a smaller tight-knit guild and not a large guild. Being allied with another guild gives you some flexibility to do some of the larger scale content and having people you have a rapport with as opposed to pugging.
  10. Sick

Sick Cupcake

We'll likely be one of the larger guilds, but I do welcome and assert that Alliances can foster a good community.

For us, we only take certain folks as we are a more mature community. We've always had other guilds we were friends with though and if someone didn't quite fit the criteria for our guild, we would recommend them to one friendly to us.

A few questions:

1. Would the Alliance be namable?
    2. Would there be any shared resources (bank etc...)
    3. ...
    4. Profit
    I had other thoughts, but went afk and am now drawing a blank... :/
    Yakzan likes this.
  11. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

I could see guild ranked by the number of members in the guild for the week, that did the kill, which in imho would be a fair way to sort it out. Rank by attendance and numbers.
  12. Yakzan

Yakzan "That" Cupcake

I want to start on one thing, and that is the "assumption" on the topic I have once I read the original post. It is suggesting an in-game structure for something that will, regardless of support or not, exist. It had already been mentioned but I wanted to say again that regardless of opinion on it or it's form, alliances will exist. I disagree with the naysaying about supporting such a system because if anything it could help minimize the 'rough edges' of an alliance. I personally feel that an in-built support in the game for alliances could help a lot in promoting better server community.

Drama will always exist but it also has it's polar opposite which people seem to ignore because humans tend to instinctively focus on the negative than the positive. I see no reason why, for an MMO of all genres, such a system should be discouraged. I'd say anything that promotes social interactivity is a good thing. It'll help guilds get out of their 'circle' especially because guilds can tend to be very centralized communities with little interaction outside themselves. Even with an in-built alliance system, the guilds we know and love will exist and we can't and shouldn't change that. However, with supporting an alliance system, you can empower players to do even more in the game, which promotes longevity which is good for the game. Also, the concept of "Alliances will be able to dominate the server" is a moot point because they could do so with or without the game supporting the structure.

Alliances, like mentioned, are not solely around raiding, nor are guilds, so the act of directly separating guilds into different kinds of systems is a tricky one which garners more discussion and ideas. However, under the assumption that guilds will exist as we've always known them, a labeling system can be used, and this is used to this day in other MMOs with guild registry features. I even suggested a similar registry system for guilds to find other similar guilds who seek the same thing. (PvP guild seeking other PvP guild to do premades! / Small, casual guild of players seeking other guilds of similar mindset!)

How it'd be supported is another matter. Like I mentioned, regardless of any support from Carbine or addon creators, alliances will exist, so it'd be a question of how. Addons definitely could facilitate and do the job, and I hope they certainly do if Carbine doesn't directly support it. However, I feel that embracing this metagame concept into the game could be beneficial for Carbine especially if they're providing these large raids. It'd help open up the content to people who, for one reason or another, wish to play with a smaller guild but also want to dabble in this content. Also, first-party support helps promote the feature to those who'd otherwise miss the opportunity, as not everyone is as savvy as us on these systems.

I personally could do without any support for guild alliances, I've done so in so many games before. However, I think it's an avenue definitely worth exploring and it'd be downright disgraceful to ignore and dismiss. Again, alliances will exist, any scenario people have listed before can happen regardless of what's done, so promoting alliances can do no more harm than not in the worst case scenario.
  13. SiegaPlays

An alliance would need some of the same nodes as a guild.

Forum support
    Chat support
    Calendar support

If these are provided for guild, it could be an extra layer of those existing guild features (check my sig for ideas), and joining an alliance adds an extra tab for the alliance in the extended permissions guild tool to let guild ranks view, read, edit, and moderate the alliance forums, chats, calender events.

The real deal would be how to decide, who is running the show.
    Yakzan likes this.
  14. Slyndria

Slyndria Cupcake-About-Town

Daoc, had a nice "alliance" system = it did lack options however it made it easier to find players for PvE and PvP content.
  15. SiegaPlays

I would love to read more about games that does feature ingame tools for alliances between guilds, just to see how they went about it.
  16. Samsquanch

Samsquanch Cupcake

I see guild alliances as being a must have feature in any game where there is 20+ man content. For obvious reasons I would assume.
    Yakzan and SiegaPlays like this.