1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Guild alliances

Discussion in 'Guilds, Circles and Warparties General' started by Zwipe, Jun 24, 2013.

?

Do you think guild alliances should be implemented in WildStar?

1. Yes.

24 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. No.

5 vote(s)
    13.9%
  3. Don't care.

7 vote(s)
    19.4%
  1. Zwipe

Zwipe Cupcake

Knowing 40-man raids have been confirmed, I feel WildStar would be a game where guild alliance capabilities, similar to City of Heroes, would be warranted.

To get 40 dedicated people into one guild is a task probably harder than organizing a raid alone. I feel that with guild alliances, at least a bunch of smaller or less raid-focused guilds ( guild with a mix of hardcore raiders and more casual players) would have a common pool to recruit for 40-mans from.

What do you think?
    Kasern and Fishsticks like this.
  2. Ohoni

Ohoni Cupcake-About-Town

I like the idea, it does depend on the systems they implement but the large raids alone seem like justification for it. I think it's something that GW2 very much needs. Plenty of people want to do larger scale content but don't want to be part of a single monolithic guild structure, and having the option to link numerous smaller guilds and individuals into a looser configuration is much more comfortable.
    Kasern and Zwipe like this.
  3. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

I dont know much about guild alliances, how do they differ from 2 or more guilds that agree to work together through a conversation in tells, or over voice chat?
  4. ebakrans

ebakrans Cupcake

Sounds like this is something that could be accomplished with the circles system they keep talking about. Maybe you have your guild and all your allied guilds join the same circle, or maybe just the raid leaders from each guild or how ever you want to set it up. But set it up in a way all the people who need to be in contact are and can set things up in an organized way.

I think they said you can have up to five circles, not sure if your guild is included as one or not but that gives you a decent amount of flexibility.
    Zwipe and Fishsticks like this.
  5. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Well we've managed it before with smaller guilds going in 40 mans without some guild alliance feature.

But then again i can also see people liking it....

So i'm personally a bit indifferent about it, i don't see any neccesity, but for some it can be helpfull.
  6. Mierelle

Mierelle Cupcake-About-Town

As stated by ebakrans and Extatica, I don't really see a point to implement a separate system for it, even though the functionality with it is good. This is something you could easily do with a Circle and I'd be suprised if you can't create custom chat channels which two or more guilds can use to coordinate 40-man raids.
  7. Daynejah

Daynejah Cupcake

I never was in a guild in GW1. Can you explain better how alliances work? The only thing I think I've heard about them was you shared an "alliance" chat. Were there any other aspects of alliances?
  8. Livnthedream

Livnthedream Super Cupcake

This is what circles are for.
  9. Ohoni

Ohoni Cupcake-About-Town

Circles may do for the role. What I would be looking for out of an alliance would be 1. a shared chat channel, 2. shared credit for any "guild content" objectives achieved.
  10. Miatog

Miatog Cupcake-About-Town

I would be all for alliances. Depending on how the circles function, you could get the same effect out of it. You would just have to require that the people in your separate guilds know to join the circle.
  11. Nemeses

Nemeses Well-Known Cupcake

Think this would benefit the game, anything that's adds to the social side always good.
    Within these alliance if done correctly, could help to build a community spirit! And nothing adds life to a MMO more that a strong community bond.
  12. Lesh

Lesh Cupcake

I think circles would work something like Googles circles.
    That being said, I think it would be really great if we could form coalitions. A common banner with a common chat. I think that would help with coordination and getting the guilds closer together. Plus you can be part of small guild that is tailored just for you, while having all the benefits of a large guild.
  13. Brixen

Brixen New Cupcake

Pretty much this! I can understand the desire for some people to have this as a specific feature, but then again, it isn't something you wouldn't be able to organize if it weren't in the game
  14. Teel

Teel Cupcake

Don't know what the benefit of it would be, can you in any way coordinate and focus fighting a certain guild in warplots or what? If they add some benefits like there were in Tera (taxable regions etc or to help each other in 1-faction WvW) then I suppose it would be cool, but I haven't seen any use of alliances in Wildstar so far.
  15. PatriotBob

PatriotBob Cupcake

In WoW we ran a small guild and only about half the members were interested in raiding. At least when I tried joining a raiding guild it was all business for the large guild. Eventually we were able to find some other small "sister-guilds" that had a enough players to start coordinating raids. It worked out pretty well.

Some of us really don't like be part of a guild large enough to have 40 players that all want to raid. But that doesn't mean that we don't have a few that want to get into that content. The ability for one guild to adopt/ally/recruit other guilds to bolster it's raiding pool would be nice if it was done in a manner integrated into the guild UI.

Even if it was some concept like a guild of guilds so to speak. Where smaller guilds can join a parent guild with out requiring the dissolution of the smaller guild.
  16. Freelancer

Freelancer Cupcake-About-Town

Circles pretty much fulfill this function I think. It allows you to bring in multiple people regardless of "tag".

While TL has a couple of full 40-man groups, we also are in close communication with some other Exile guilds to back each other up for fulfilling both PvE and PvP content. In some cases, these guilds may never get the chance to run a 40-man on their own, so we're dedicating nights that they can lead the way, and we'll provide members to fill their vacant slots so they dont miss out on any part of the game :)

I'm not sure what you call those relationships, but when I think alliance I think open-world PvP in a way.
  17. Apothecary

Apothecary Cupcake

If you could see who was online in your alliance i guess it would make it easy calling people up
  18. PatriotBob

PatriotBob Cupcake

I really hope you're right in that circles provide that functionality. It would be good to know we can operate as a small guild with a close relationship to a guild like yours. Where as the alternative is that the few that want to raid have to try to get recruited by a raiding guild, and hope it's the same one.

Here's hoping. :)
    Freelancer likes this.
  19. Riuuki

Riuuki Cupcake

Big/good guilds will find a way of doing this even without the ability to do so ingame, however I think it's a good idea.

I know Inverse Gaming has a few friendly alliances per say but nothing other than words.
  20. Symphus

Symphus New Cupcake

I think forming alliances is great for warplots, raiding, and other events, but that can be done with circles. what type of alliance features could the game have besides alliance channel? You should use each other's VOIP for communication. Usually when you see alliance features in a game it's because a guild can declare you an enemy and attack you anywhere in the game.