1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Guild Council? Input from Guild Leaders please!

Discussion in 'Guilds, Circles and Warparties General' started by Zap-Robo, Jun 23, 2013.

1. Zap-Robo

Zap-Robo Administrator • King Cupcake

Hey all,

I've been mulling this idea over... but as a fansite admin and not a guild leader I'm curious as to whether the concept has any merit for the leaders of guilds. So, here we are...

If WSC was to start a private forum for guild/circle/warparty leaders only... would it be of any use for the WSC Guild Community? I envisaged it as a place for organising events, communicating between guilds and general diplomacy between player-run organisations.

I'm theory-crafting but would any guilds welcome this kind of initiative from WSC? Let me know here!

My best,
  2. Soylentgreen

Soylentgreen Well-Known Cupcake

It certainly couldn't hurt to see what comes of it, probably an idea that will see much more use closer to launch but I'm sure there will be things to do as early as now as well.
  3. Voison

Voison Moderator • Foxy Cupcake

I don't see it causing any harm.. I'm only an officer in Team Legacy, but this is a good idea. It would help a lot of guilds get more acquainted with each other.
  4. Genoshock

Genoshock Cupcake-About-Town

I am sorry for posting here as i am not a guild leader but i think this concept is extremely important for the community as a whole.

As i understand it many people on these forums ... probably mroe than 75% are actually guildless. For various pretty obvious reasons.

As there are probably many other people that have this same point of view would you really like to exclude so many excellent resources from the community when it comes to making events etc?

anyway thats my POV. feel free to ignore it.
  5. JarNod

JarNod WildStar Haiku Winner 2012 / Lead Guinea Pig

If I made a guild, I don't know how much I would use it. Mostly because I like to focus on my server or battlegroup and if Carbine provides server forums, I'll go that direction instead. But just because I personally wouldn't use it doesn't make it a bad idea.
    Underz and Rumze like this.
  6. Dannan

Dannan Cupcake

It's certainly an interesting idea, I just don't know how useful it will be. I think it may be a good way to organize certain things, but that's about it. I can see some practical applications, but not many. Sure it's great if two guild leaders get along well, but that's no guarantee that their members will work well together.

I would love to see how something like this plays out though.
  7. Crimzen

Crimzen Cupcake

I would definitely welcome it, my only concern is how much use it would actually get once the game goes live. It could go either way at this point, and I think it may be something that if implemented might just have to be a "wait and see" thing to see how many people use it and in what way they use it long-term.

I could definitely see guild leaders (myself included) using it to form strategy or set up meetings on PvP servers for going on the offensive against an enemy faction city, protecting/organizing cool settler-built structures or maybe even working together for 40-man raids. I just wonder how many raiding guilds or Arena, PvP, or Warplot focused guilds would really use it to cooperate with other guilds in-game as opposed to keeping those activities more " in house" so to speak.

I think it could be great for open-world activities or sharing strategies and tips and what not, which is how I think it would primarily be used. Forming guild alliances in-game has always seemed like a tricky endeavor when doing PvP or Raiding though. Mainly because having two leaders with completely different rule-sets potentially, can prove to be difficult in most cases; they each want to do the best thing for their guild mates which doesn't always translate well with other guild's members.

I think it would be great for open-world coordination and general tips and strategies though. So I say go for it!
  8. Zap-Robo

Zap-Robo Administrator • King Cupcake

Not at all, but group leaders are in a unique position of representing more than just themselves - and I could imagine this might (and that's a big might) be an important communication tool for guilds. But I don't know - hence why I'm putting this out there rather than approaching guild leaders directly.

This wouldn't detract from what individuals can do elsewhere on the site (on individual server forums, etc. once they're [potentially] available) and certainly isn't the intent.

WSC could certainly enable the Guild Comms forum to be able to tag posts by server so that participants can filter themselves by server. Or sub-forums, though I feel that would get (potentially) messy.

I'll leave discussion open for a week or so, then we can see what the prevailing feel is!
  9. Eight8Eight

Eight8Eight Cupcake

It might be good I already did this on our forums we are working with 3 other guilds and will be choosing the same launch server
  10. kur1

kur1 Cupcake-About-Town

From my experience dealing with leader-only forums (for the aforementioned organization of events / guild diplomacy) is that it only works when there's no in-game systems or add-ons to make organization happen.

• For multi-guild events, people will use realm forums or the official forums' guild discussion (because that's where officers and members go first).
    • For managing diplomacy, that usually happens in private forum channels. A guild usually hosts a "multi-guild" subforum on the largest guild's page, they use a dedicated thread on the official forums, or something like that.
    • For raiding or other task-based objectives, players will congregate via in-game chat channels, add-ons, and maybe forums hosted on a particular guild's page since these things are usually single-realm events.
    It might be worth trying, but I don't see it sustaining in the long term unless it addresses a need guild forums or the Official Forums (or even tools like OpenRaid.us) can't provide.
  11. Screenager

Screenager Cupcake-About-Town

Pre release certainly its a good idea. within the forum structure from a an officer / lead pov its crucial to understand and know the people youll be dealing with well.
    Ftom a community standpoint these people will have themselves invested in seeing the game succeed in terms of time, money and emotionally. theyve put themselves in a fairly public position and giving them the room to expres themselves, bounce ideas around and organise would be excellent.

Post realease im fairly certain the social features of the game should allow this pretty easily.

In short double space thumbs up

Excuse typos. Phone spelling ;-)
    Myrrdhinn likes this.
  12. Cakemonster

Cakemonster New Cupcake

As screenager stated Post-launch this would be a very welcone addition as guild leaders could find eachother more easily. This opens up for more cooperation, merging, discussing how to handle a guild and what works for me/us. This can be very help ful for new guild leaders who feel that they dont really have the hang of it yet. It would be easier for them to ask in a forum where they know players with similar problems hang out etc.

Great idea post and after launch in my idea. And what does it hurt if it doesnt work out?
  13. Ilieanna

Ilieanna Cupcake

As a leader, I would welcome that. It would help other leaders who have general questions, as well as what has been stated above. The abilities to get ahold of other leaders to toss around ideas of organizing events, strategies for dungeons/raid, and alliances for those times when you just don't have enough people on.
  14. Denied-a Wildstar Guild

Denied-a Wildstar Guild Cupcake

I think its a good idea that can be quite powerful with proper structure as mentioned above since we have diffrent regions and servers.

Many are doing this already in form of alliances between guilds but this is more a bigger perspective as in forming events between multiple guilds and such, could turn out really sweet so thumbs up.
  15. GrimWasp

GrimWasp New Cupcake

Good idea and it wont hurt to try We at Hive support this :)
  16. tubthumper

tubthumper New Cupcake

We have no need/want or interest in this.
  17. Sanja Melody

Sanja Melody Cupcake

It really depends on the server system. But when it comes down to it i don't expect more than 4-5 guilds using it when the game actually launches.
    If you have a system like in GW2 with 'guesting' where you could jump between servers a forum system like this is awesome. But if you are unable to jump between servers i don't see that huge of a use for it since the guilds that will be writing in there will be on different servers and like 2% of people would want to level new characters on another server/use money to attend to 1 event.
    As it is right now the current system you have within the forum is probably enough.

1 thing that i loved when playing GW2 was that my server had a huge teamspeak with all the big guilds on it, and it worked wonders with the guilds having each their rooms where nobody really interfered. But i'm afraid it only worked because of WvW. If you are only able to play on 1 server you would just use /general chat to pull together the server to take down a world boss. I don't see much use of it in the long run.
  18. Dualist

Dualist Cupcake-About-Town

This is Weberian bureaucracy at its finest really. In theory its a nice idea to be able to have a private space for guild leaders and officers to be able to negotiate and converse in a space free of mob mentality. Ideally one would also like to think that a guilds elected officers are both the most suitable and most qualified to represent the best interests of a guild.

However, in order to ensure confidentially of any discussions that take place on said forums, there needs to be a strict vetting process in regards to access. Not every jumped up new guild should be able to participate in the forums. So there are definitely some issues to be considered, especially in terms of privacy, admission and moderation.
  19. Genev

Genev New Cupcake

Don't see the use tbh, anything serious will be handled in private chat (as others said before). It's quite easy to find out who is in charge of what if people don't know already, and it would be an organisational nightmare to do it for the entire Wildstar community.
  20. Blankspace

Blankspace WTB Fun Forum Title

A few points I'd like to make on the topic of a sub-forum for guild leaders.

• Some people are going to want it to be an exclusive place where established guilds are allowed in. Who is going to grandfather guilds in. Will there be a selection process?
    • We have the open forums and private messaging as allowed by your website as is. If I want to get in contact with other guild leaders on projects from the Vodcast, game nights, blogs, articles and more I am able to do so without the use of an internal sub forum
    • As of the last few years (don't shoot the messenger) it seems that some GL/GMs may not understand the decorum and respect that should be paid to each other when in discussions with each other. Some will perceive some sort of online social hierarchy (that they must rank higher than others ) that will cause unnecessary drama. I've seen my fair share of guild leaders with some sort of wack sense of entitlement.
    • Most forums with this sort of function end up being obsolete and unused anyways. Most of us have Twitter, FB, IRC, and WSC PM that we use to keep in contact also. Do we really need another?
    • It's exclusionary. We have this wonderful open, moderated, safe little place to hang out. Why not keep it that way?
    • Most of the traffic who come to WSC are guildless, according to the numbers I poll/pulled from the Wildstar community sites just a month ago. We make up a smaller percentage of actual traffic. There are a few hundred of us (daily active) compared to the thousands of them :p
    I like the idea. I don't like the utility. I don't see myself using this forum often enough to make it worth the time needed to have the mods patrolling another section of WSC. Doesn't make it a bad idea... just my thoughts on the matter :)
    Kethrym likes this.