1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Guild Council? Input from Guild Leaders please!

Discussion in 'Guilds, Circles and Warparties General' started by Zap-Robo, Jun 23, 2013.

1. Beetle

Beetle Special Cupcake

Hey Friends,

I don't see a huge use for this with Wildstar, in the past things like this have been used for other games that have features that require some alliances or guild comms. With Wildstar I feel there isn't the need for a sub-forum for just guild leadership. Like others have stated PM's and other social sites provide quick ways to get in contact with other guild leaders.

If you do decide based on the majority of leaders here to open a sub-forum I will do my best to help and use it for advice/questions.

:coffee:
  2. Yorobashi

Yorobashi Cupcake

Personally, I feel it would be a great idea. The only way to truly tell however would be to implement it and see if it receives praise or falls silent. I know that I personally would use it to help organize server wide events. These are things that I would not want to have to have fall to the way side of something like server forums. Leave that stuff both for the launch and the everyday gamer.
  3. Tildja

Tildja New Cupcake

The idea itself is good, and ive seen this beeing used in multiple games before. As stated in an earlyer post, this is mostly used before the game goes live and usually dies after launch.

Guildleaders dont really need an external site to communicate.

I can say i would most likely use it if it was there, but i dont see a big need for it.
  4. NerdEsq

NerdEsq Cupcake

If there are no server specific forums when/if the official forums launch, I could see this being awesome. But if there are, I feel that the traffic should go there and events be organized on the official server forums. I think it just makes it easier for people to use and people will be more likely to migrate to the official forums when searching for things than WSC. If I was a guild leader and wanted to organize things, the first place I would go to would be official forums if they are available, especially if I didn't know a fansite existed. (and I have no data to back this up, just pulling out a "seems so" argument)
  5. Rush

Rush Cupcake

I've been involved in working with others to get it set up in Guild Wars 2 for WvW. Sadly though, it has turned into a game of "I have the bigger guild so I get to say who does what".

The idea is great, but you can't let an ego get in the way. If people can maintain themselves from playing the "my guild is bigger than yours" card, then it would work great, but a lot of backhanded comments and problems arise when that starts to happen.

That is my two-cents at least. I think the idea would be good, it takes away having to run around the site and figure out who guild leaders are.
    Rumze and Beetle like this.
  6. tr1age

tr1age Cupcake

I like the idea of it, because it promotes the idea of bringing people together, but what we have seen in actual execution on other sites like guru for GW2 and the like, is you get these false hope alliances, feelings of elitist, and smaller pockets of community rather than a "greater good" effect.

Also people start to theory craft there own theory crafting. Idle hands yadda yadda :) It turns into a very ugly mess, with meetings, and rules, and unnecessary drama.

I feel like a forum for the servers if Carbine doesn't provide one upon launch is better than this. That helps everyone on each server talk. And like most have said will still be useful on launch vs this which will die down after launch.

I mean we have our own community forums that we use to organize guild events etc, so we come here to play in the Wildstar sandbox when we need our fix, not really organize the games we play with each other not having to do with Wildstar at the moment.

So ultimately I feel we would not participate in it for these reasons, and I don't believe it is needed either for the simple reason that the game is too far from launch, and too many people cause drama when they get "official" places to play an unreleased game in theory.
  7. Alverad

Alverad Well-Known Cupcake

Not a guild leader here, just an officer, however, we've talked about this together, and find it's an interesting idea. Should WS become as succesful as we all want it to be, should it pull people/guilds from the game that should not be named lol, it could serve as a nice market place for many of those smaller guilds, that are reluctunt to become bigger, yet will somewhat be forced to if they want to consider any sort of pve/pvp progression.

Yes, there will be in game tools that offer different channels of cross guild communication, however, we find forums of various sort a much cosier place to mingle and get to know people with similar goals and mindset, simply because people are vocal about it.
  8. Karuck

Karuck New Cupcake

I wouldn't mind having a place to discuss ideas and issues with other guild leaders/officers. We are currently building our website & DKP system, and since Wildstar will do some thing differently it would be nice to discuss.. for example how random stats and chips affect DKP values of drops.
  9. Raizar

Raizar New Cupcake

As guild leader of the Ex Infernus, I don't mind the idea of a Guild Council as long as people go into it all with an open mind.

I will refuse to discuss theory crafting and other such topics that turn towards elitism. I often find that when certain aspects enter the realm of discussion, fragmentation happens and makes these 'Guild Councils' completely useless.

My guild already have a lot of ideas going into WildStar and a pretty powerful website to boot. It's all very circumstantial at this point.

We're not against working with other guilds towards common goals come game launch so maybe the forum would be useful. I guess it depends how the demeanor in the chats go but no harm in trying at the end of the day.
  10. Riuuki

Riuuki Cupcake

It could be a good idea, only problem is trying to make it not be a waste of time.

Who will use it? (There will be, many.. Many guilds on WildStar, the bigger ones won't need to use this and the smaller ones might not know it exists)
    How will they know it exists? (word of mouth/ads on this forum?)
    How can they use it? (must someone grant them the ability, i.e via certain steps?)
    What's to stop other guilds from ruining other plans because they read whats going to happen on the forums?

It pretty much all comes down to one Q&A, is it worth it? Forums aren't little puppies you can just house train and then let them go about their own business.. You have to monitor them 24/7 but ofc you know that.
  11. Defiant

Defiant New Cupcake

Waste of time.
  12. Freelancer

Freelancer Cupcake-About-Town

This covers it pretty much. Any group of guilds that need this function will create their own site/forum, because if it comes to discussion that they only wish to share to other guild leaders, they will want to keep it from the potential "opposition".

Logistically, this would also be a nightmare as more and more guilds are "created" just to have access to such forum.
  13. Mizpah

Mizpah Cupcake-About-Town

I see this one as a mixed blessing.

The principle and the idea are great - the pitfalls however are many and numerous, the reality depends on the implementation and community attitude.

This in essence would be (as I see it) a forum for those with a common experience set to share the insight and experiences gained to date with others who would find it to be of value. We might be like minded (or not) but we would all (or should all at least) be active in terms of running a guild and be facing a similar set of challenges. It should be a place to discuss guild issues, share ideas and draw advice. There should be an expectation of quality content, and a low SnR. Things should remain 'on-topic'.

Blank raises some very valid points. Those using a guild leaders/officers section of a website must do so on an equal footing - to play social politics would devalue the potential gains, it should not be a place for ego's!

I could however see the value in a trusted and private place to share experiences and learn from others, but these challenges would need to be met:

There would need to be an innate level of trust that the forum is private, and only those approved / put forward by 'recognised' guilds are involved. Whilst this may sound elitist, its not, its simply a way of ensuring that there is that common experience set, a shared desire to improve (guild) life and a way of ensuring that the forum does not become troll fodder.

We would need to work out what a 'recognized guild' is - be happy with the definition and stick to it. The challenge will be keeping it accessible enough to be of value to new and growing guilds, whilst keeping it private enough to actually differentiate it from any other public sub-forum. Ensuring the audience to the forum is also limited will probably also be critical to maintaining the degree of trust needed to share certain information, and ask certain questions of the guild community.

It would need a high level of moderation (I suspect) to keep it on topic, and need to not be a guild 'advertising platform'. I am sure the guild community will decide for themselves who trusted sources of advice and information are based on the actions of the guild community itself. People involved in this endeavour should be considered valuable based on the help and advise they offer in this forum itself and nothing else - being large, famous, hardcore or well-known should really not factor into it.

I would like to know up front if Carbine have direct access to such a forum - whilst I personally see that as valuable (seeing the trials and tribulations of guild life can only help with allowing them to understand the support they can offer guilds and the challenges faced) for transparency it needs to be clear either way.

On balance if the above points (and others!) are considered and the result is planned and executed well I would be a supporter of the idea, and actively try to support the implementation of it from within the 'guild community'. If a forum is simply opened and left as a free for all, I would make myself aware of it, but would not promise to particularity interact with it until the finished product is better understood.
  14. Ico

Ico Moderator • WSC's Gentle Flower

I'm going to dive in after Mizpah's post, as one of my guild's leaders, I can say we'd have no interest in this.

Now that's not to say we're against community or against working with other guilds, but in our past experience these events have fallen to over engineering and overly large ego's, it really doesn't help that most guilds are trying to subvert others! If Kaeyi reads this I'm sure she'll also attest to the latest mindboggler that was the Desolation Server Council in GW2!

I've found guild friendships/rivalries and alliances etc are much better when they occur naturally and take as long as they need to form.
  15. Aneu

Aneu Cupcake

Pre-Launch I find this to be quite pointless and the input required will be quickly turned into a waste of time due to quite a few guilds considering themselves above and beyond others, new guilds will be talked down upon while attempting to "prove something", you will have pve'ers arguing with pvp'ers on what is more important etc.. etc... etc... overall it would take more moderator time and effort than it is worth. Post-Launch it might be worth while to create specific server forums for all of this to take place but prior is simply asking to open a huge can of worms.
  16. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

Could be good to "lobby" for Carbine to arrange a guild leader channel/circle ingame instead, that only guild leaders can see and join. Because a communication channel is very much needed.

However, we are talking a load of administration for volenteers keeping the guild leader roster up to date, while Carbine should manage to make something out of it with a small amount of pre-programming of some type of game supported channel dedicated the purpose - I assume.
  17. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

Not really singling you out or anything, I just am surprised that this happens, I'm thinking it would be a great read in the morning with coffee you know? I guess I just haven't seen anything like this in a forum setting, where people are arguing with the very same people they are asking for help from or forming alliance with or w/e.

I can definitely add to the notion that any information that is "sensitive" ( strats, theorycrafting, etc ) is not something that progression guilds want to share with whoever happens to have access to read that section.
    They will keep that stuff on their own website forums where normally you need to be in the guild to view it.
  18. Teel

Teel Cupcake

I don't think it'd be that necessary. The guild leaders of the largest guilds probably are already too busy organizing things ingame or on forums etc to have the time to look at the new forum as well. And where would one draw the line for who gets in? Does a guild with 8 members get to have a representative in this section?

In the end I think the current forums are much better and every possible discussion that could take place in the leader-forums can take place in the current forums we have.
    Sledgehammer likes this.
  19. Mizpah

Mizpah Cupcake-About-Town

Now that's an idea I like, a simple 'rule' for entry (are you a guild leader) coupled with the option to join or leave. As it remains (mostly) private, and the audience is only other guild leaders, then the rational behind behavioral patterns that could lead to having a large ego is greatly reduced.

If it becomes a positive force, we keep using it. If negative then we can simply close the tab./channel Bringing it into game may also increase it relevance.
  20. KaeyiDream

KaeyiDream Cupcake

Too many cooks not enough cookies.. guilds should be standalone communities within one big community.. the reason you're ina dif guild is because you like that community.. mixing them up causes issues D: