1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Guild Faction/Server Differences?

Discussion in 'Guilds, Circles and Warparties General' started by MOGKash, May 22, 2013.

1. MOGKash

MOGKash New Cupcake

Question: How is your guild handling players having different interests in faction and server choice?

I realize this may not be an issue for new guilds, as you have the choice to choose your interests prior to recruiting. But for existing guilds who may be moving into Wildstar from other games, we inevitably face the issues of differing opinions in faction and server type choices (PvE versus PvP). As we are having the discussion right now in our guild forums, I was curious as to how other established communities are handling this issue.

Our biggest goal is to provide a sense of belonging within our guild. We have a pretty close family atmosphere and we have a hard time having to segregate folks based on a certain playstyle, although it may be out of our hands. Having been through the mistake of forcing a certain faction or server type down someone's throat before, I don't want to make that mistake again. Whaddya think?
  2. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

If you're asking for advice with a particular issue that you're facing, you should just go right out and make it an advice thread and ask questions.

If it really is just a discussion thread, I don't have too many thoughts since I rarely if ever guild lead, much less guild lead before a game's release. However, this type of issue should be anticipated by any pre-release guilds and be explicitly warned by the guild's application process prior to application. As a result of recruiting prior to dedicating to a specific server or faction, you WILL have some who will just leave because they don't like the choice. Most likely this'll only happen for server types and factions though.

However, it sounds like you want advice on a difficult issue. I'll provide whatever support that I can.

Of your current members, I would first gauge what their faction preference is and why. Perhaps a series of polling to see where everyone's mind is at. Some examples of how you can poll it on a thread:

Faction Preference
    Dominion - Will Play No Matter What (may not be best to include for negotiative purposes)
    Dominion - Strongly Prefer
    Dominion - Prefer
    Dominion - Leaning
    Impartial - Will Go Wherever Guild Goes
    Exile - Leaning
    Exile - Prefer
    Exile - Strongly Prefer
    Exile - Will Play No Matter What (may not be best to include for negotiative purposes)

Reasons for Faction Preference
    Dominion - Races
    Dominion - Lore/Background
    Dominion - Friends/Family
    Dominion - Another Reason/Other
    Exile - Races
    Exile - Lore/Background
    Exile - Friends/Family
    Exile - Another Reason/Other

Racial Preference
    Dominion - Cassian
    Dominion - Mechari
    Dominion - Draken
    None/Will Min-Max Based on Selected Faction
    Exile - Human
    Exile - Granok
    Exile - Aurin

You could go even further and gauge what people's second racial choice would be. This kind of polling will show you not just where people want to go but why and will also provide a starting point towards convincing the minority of the guild to accept the guild's choice of the majority voted faction. Obviously you'll want to word this wisely so that the person doesn't feel too pressured. For example, if someone wants to play Exile but chose a human for their race, you may still be able to convince them to be Dominion since that faction basically has humans as well (cassians).

The best thing to do is communicate clear with each and every member and be sure that their voice is heard and respected. The decision should take time and if there are other friends and family that will be joining the guild as well or following some of your core members around, make sure they can be consulted too since sometimes people will play a faction because their friends want to be there. You can't please everyone but you can still be reasonable.

Personally, I would not form a guild and begin recruiting unless: A, I am sure which faction I/the guild will be with; B, I am sure which server type I/the guild will be on; and C, I am sure that I will be playing and enjoying this game for the foreseeable future. These things can be absolutely critical in some people's gameplay experience so often times just waiting until game details are set in stone before recruiting is the best option to reduce potential friction within membership later on.

Hope some of this helps.
  3. Alverad

Alverad Well-Known Cupcake

For us, it's an ongoing poll that will be followed by a final round of arguments just before launch atm things are looking Dominion, but that may change. We figured, some of us will get to play the beta, even if just the open one, and when we do, that's when the final discussion will take place. Granted, it's easier since we did reach a consensus, that faction is secondary, as we all enjoy playing together too much to fight over which side to join.

That's one of the reasons we aren't recruiting to the WS guild per se, to avoid confusing others that may or may not have strong feelings for a particular side, then end up disappointed that we're leaning towards another.

Regardless of our main choice, nothing stops us from doing what we did in WoW. Have another guild on the other side of the barricade. We played Ally, but all had alts in our horde guild, so we could experience the things we potentially missed.
  4. Relapse

Relapse Cupcake

Out-Burst is leaning towards Dominion at the moment, just simply based on majority vote. However, the core of the guild being from hardcore backgrounds, we are well aware of the advantages that racials can have on min-maxing. We are easily willing to go Exile if racials are ever announced and we see a greater advantage from one or the other.

As for any guilds that are interested in the game from a more casual to semi-hardcore standpoint I think the most fair thing to do is wait for the majority of content relevant to factions to be released and hold a poll with majority winning. Hopefully everyone on the other side of the majority would be mature enough to accept the guilds decision as a whole. Plus, there's always alts!
    Thrice likes this.
  5. Nemeses

Nemeses Well-Known Cupcake

Things like faction you will find end of the day are not major issues, (even though they may seem so|) yes you may lose a few, what we do with faction choice is run a poll, winner takes all rest be ***** :p.

You need to decide who your core members are and get a consensus from them, we (being The Immortals) have a core of players who run the guild, we make the broad decisions, ones like faction, go to a poll, ones like are we going to be PvP or not never happen as we ARE a PvP guild, and those who don’t want or like that should never then think of joining us.
  6. Bisqquit

Bisqquit "That" Cupcake

Polls and votes do more harm than good. As GM, pick whatever you like and tell them it's like it or lump it.
    tubthumper likes this.
  7. Kaelang

Kaelang Cupcake-About-Town

I agree with this statement.

If you allow members to vote and discuss then sometimes these can fuel semi-flame wars in-house, which is never good. As a guild 'lead' it is sometimes inevitable to take control and say 'look, we're doing this, and that's final'.

At the end of the day, you want players who will follow the guilds direction, if you set a solid goal and ground to walk on, people will follow. Some may not and choose to leave, but that's fine, the application process, mostly, is always open.

(I sounded so mean when I typed that but I'm a nice guy, honest)
  8. Bisqquit

Bisqquit "That" Cupcake

No you are quite right. Guilds that vote on everything either fail miserably or wallow in mediocrity.
    tubthumper likes this.
  9. Xlugon Pyro

Which is why sometimes it's best just to wait until the faction/server decision is final before really opening the doors for recruitment or even forming a guild at all. Although I've noticed most hardcore players usually don't care too much about these kinds of things so it's not as likely to be a problem anyway. However, some people do care a lot about their server type and faction. Those types generally need to be responsible for their own decisions though and not join a guild that is indecisive when the player's own mind is already made up. You're likely setting yourself up for disappointment then. Which is why I'm not actively guild hunting right now because there's a chance I might not play Exiles or even like the game at all for that matter. Not to mention there are and will be big guilds, hardcore ones at that, that will have their server type and faction already decided.

Know what kind of guild you want to be, make those terms known to the membership even before recruiting them, and stick by them. It's important to listen to your members, but sometimes it's better to just take charge. If the members don't like it, they can leave, no sweat. But leaders who are too dictatorial and don't listen will soon find their guild turning cliquish and later break apart due to bad leadership. It's a balancing act in the end.
    Azhdaha likes this.
  10. MOGKash

MOGKash New Cupcake

Xlugon, I really appreciate the effort you put forth into your response. Much of what you mentioned we have either already done or we will be in the process soon. Yes, I was asking for advice and/or specifically how other Multi-Gaming guilds are dealing with existing communities and their difference in playstyles, so sorry if I didn't come out with it and make it more clear. The communication part has been pretty easy for us, we're a very established community with very experienced leaders, so luckily that's a no-brainer. Unfortunately, we don't have the luxury of "not forming a guild until {our faction choices are decided}. In large communities like MOG Nation, you have to roll with the punches and do your best to satiate everyone to the best of your ability. That's where we're at now. Thanks for the response!
  11. MOGKash

MOGKash New Cupcake

Although the advice is much appreciated, gotta disagree with this one :( We have polls all the time, make many discussions as translucent as possible, gather the majority vote and move from there. Eventually when we need to make a split decision, we have a vote with our Council-type leadership structure. IT works great.

Leaving community members without a choice or a voice, in my experience, is what makes guilds "doomed to fail." I've been using a diplomatic approach to big decisions for several years and my community has yet to fail. As a matter of fact, we thrive from fostering this flexibility within our community. Don't take that the wrong way, I completely understand that other communities may be a bit more hardcore than my own, but we've enjoyed 'great success' (Borat pun intended) thusfar, and we have plenty of hardcore folks :) Yes, we do occasionally lose folks, but its pretty rare. We'll be monitoring our polls, gathering data and making an informed decision based on the majority in this case, methinks :) Thanks for all of the effort here , though, guys. It definitely helps to see what others are doing.

Our basic goal is to provide the tools for our members to play how they wish. We've done it in several guilds and it seems to work well. What we will probably do is something like this:

1. Once we're closer to launch, poll the members and find out where the majority lies (PvE vs PvP, Dominion vs Exiles).

2. If a majority of members want PvE Exiles, that becomes the main guild on that server type. An Alt guild would house PvE Dominion toons.

3. The next largest chunk of players may prefer PvP Dominion. That becomes the main PvP guild on the PvP server type. An alt guild would house PvP Exile toons.

4. Create channels for each guild on Mumble, put a "WIldstar Lounge" channel at the top of them all. That would encourage folks to hang out and mingle while they quest unless they were doing a raid or group work.
  12. Xlugon Pyro

It sounds like you have things handled then. I'm sure it's a difficult decision to come to, but if your community is as big and as tight-knit as it appears to be, I'm sure you'll be able to learn from your past mistakes and make the best decision for your guild.

Good luck!