1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Guild features in Wildstar

Discussion in 'Guilds, Circles and Warparties General' started by Black Wolf, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

Carbine hasn't revealed any guild features yet. But I find these very important in a game. Especially the need of using 3rd-party programs like voice servers and the need to use external websites to communicate with your members is a pain in the ass for me. It takes a lot of effort to get members to use those. My energy is better spend elsewhere.

So in-game features I would like to see are:
    - Integrated voice chat that can be enabled with a push of a button.
    - Guild message of the day.
    - More room to write down information for your members (like a limited forum).
    - Custom and unlimited ranks.
    - People showing AFK in the members list and /or unitframes.
    - Guild recruiting system (I hate to spam messages in-game).
    - Extensive rights management for members.

I'm sure there are many features I didn't think about, so I'm curious to know what you guys and girls can come up with!
    SiegaPlays and Yakzan like this.
  2. Maestric

Maestric Cupcake

- Guild Calender is something cool and helps keeping events scheduled and organized. :)
    Gargantua, Vunak, Whistler and 4 others like this.
  3. Ayr

Ayr Cupcake-About-Town

Integrated Voice... that's the big question mark for me. Watched a Neverwinter Nights Online demo couple weeks back and saw they had it.
  4. Lethality

Lethality "That" Cupcake

I'd like to see some kind of Guild Progression system. I'm a fan of the Guild Perks in WoW and also how leveling ties in access to items... I don't think there's anything game-breaking there.

I also like the GW2 system somewhat, though there wasn't much of a benefit to being in or working with a guild. The new Guild Missions may change that, which would hopefully make that progression more interesting and meaningful (and allow for expansion of it.)

Edit: Forgot to mention a recruiting system. I think this is also necessary... WoW actually has a great one as far as I am concerned. However, the problem is no one uses it... so my suggested would be for an in-game system that ALSO posts externally to a web site (and mobile) which would be browsable via whatever external system they have (armory-type maybe?)
    Patrician, Sick and Yakzan like this.
  5. ObliviousPrime

ObliviousPrime "That" Cupcake

member notes so you can write that this one is so and so's alt etc..

I hope you can have guild raid groups for the large scale pvp and world bosses. I don't know what function it should have since I don't know what you need to know in warfronts.

It would be nice if you can have a large group of people but have the ability to group them up in the UI into smaller groups and then each group will have a color not only in the UI but the name tags have that color too. Also the ability to mark people with different icons on their head.

in raids it will be main healer and tank and DPS lead or something but maybe in PVP you want a group that will focus on defense with a marked leader and an offensive group as well.

this is just of the top of my head. sorry if its unclear.
    Aheadache likes this.
  6. Aheadache

Aheadache Well-Known Cupcake

Your right I forgot all about the recruiting system WoW has. I think if they had it early on it would have been more popular. I was impressed with how well it was and how much info you could see on guilds.
  7. Rogosh

Rogosh Cupcake-About-Town

Being able to mark enemy targets in pvp as a perk would be nice.

Guild hall is a must, with perks for creating new items in your guild hall. Ie you craft a statue of your factions leader and you gain access to your factions guard or military wardrobe(transmog gear for wow fans).
    cali and Sick like this.
  8. Aheadache

Aheadache Well-Known Cupcake

It would be cool to have a column next to the player name showing class or even a symbol on what spec they are like dps or healing. I always like the guild note column in WoW when used right, putting notes like role \ crafting note or being used to note if someone was afk.
    Yakzan, Hope and ObliviousPrime like this.
  9. Fate Flyer

Fate Flyer "That" Cupcake

Integrated voice chat - please! I would love to have that again. Haven't had that in an MMO that I've played since Lord of the Rings Online. I would definitely be happy to see that again. I'm not overly fond of the voice chat apps out there, only because they can sometimes be a little overly complicated.

A guild recruitment system would also a be really nice feature, along with guild perks and a progression system.
  10. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

along with the guild player notes make it so you can make officer notes as well, as in if you have to demote someone you can put in the reason why they were demoted and only officers can see it. or in a different guild we'd put the date invited into the guild in the officer notes.
  11. JarNod

JarNod WildStar Haiku Winner 2012 / Lead Guinea Pig

I hope that the community around WildStar is this good. I don't know if you were suggesting this or not, but I would love to see an application to a guild and the guild officers send a message to the previous guild wondering why he is leaving.
  12. Shadydemise

Shadydemise Cupcake

This is one of the only areas mentioned that I am "iffy" on. While I would love to see an integrated voice chat system, how many resources would it take away from other areas of development. Also, the quality of the voice chat can be spotty and it can be difficult to manage in-game with a large amount of people. I think I would prefer some type of agreement between Carbine and an already established VOIP application (If this would even be possible?). For example, if they had discounts on buying servers for use with Wildstar or if they had more guides on how to set up your own server for those that do not already know. I guess I'd want something a bit more user-friendly without requiring Carbine to invest a ton of resources into an entirely new feature.
    The Duck and Yakzan like this.
  13. Gravy

Gravy Cupcake

I'll be the dissenter in this thread and say that in-game voice chat is terrible. From a technical standpoint we encounter issues related to latency, quality, and location. Unless the traffic is going to a different server you're relying on the network of whoever is running the servers, and this is can lead to some bad situations when they are down. Quality wise I've never had an experience in-game that was anywhere close to the clarity that Mumble provides. The application functionality is almost never as good either, it's the most basic that voice chat can possibly be. Then it comes to location and latency, applications designed specifically for voice chat are optimized for a single purpose, getting that sound to you as clearly, and as compressed as possible. If the server is west coast, but you have east coast players, we increase their latency as opposed to a centralized server.

From a raid leading perspective a secondary application also gives you extensive control over users, and provides flexibility.
    Zinn, Auryn and Sick like this.
  14. Guide

Guide Well-Known Cupcake

Custom guild emblems! The "provocative material" argument means nothing because Aion copes with it very well!
    Patrician, Sick, moneda and 1 other person like this.
  15. Yakzan

Yakzan "That" Cupcake

As much as I understand the desire for in-built voice chat, there are various reasons why they're not more prominent. They take resources to create this feature, which is man-hours and such, then they also are generally not that great quality. Also, the players have far better alternatives, usually. Why use an in-built voice chat feature that has worse quality and not as many options as say, Teamspeak, Mumble or Raidcall. The only way I can see Carbine handling it were to have some sort of promotional deal with one of those voice chat companies where Carbine gives guilds special deals for renting these servers. That's how I see it, at least.

A guild progression system would be nice, like a few people mentioned, another question would be how they'd handle it.

One thing I've mentioned in some other posts that I think would be great to see were some sort of inter-guild interaction tools. With this I mean alliances and guild listings, much like the guild registrars you guys have mentioned, but for the purpose of guilds forming alliances with other guilds to accomplish something, whether it be PvP or to help small guilds gather together to do these larger raids.

A comprehensive roster listing would be great as well. WoW has shown considerable improvement in this regards to the point you can see other people's professions and their recipe list.
  16. Pixie

Pixie Cupcake-About-Town

I'm sure it'll be in there but "last online *date* or *time*" is really important so guild leaders can kick players who aren't active anymore

I wish more games would take a cue from GW2 and make a system where you can see whose alts different chars are, so it's easier to keep track of, because it can be tough for a guild leader to gather that info if the guild is big with several recruiters.

Finally I must admit I'm kind of hoping for a guild hall/guild base, if they want guilds to be able to make housing "communities", then having a guild hall floatin' about in the middle of "town" would be awesome!

But guild halls rarely have much of a purpouse... On the other hand, some of the things they're thinking about implementing in housing (that we've read in interviews etc) sounds like things that could also work for a guild hall, like guild vs guild warplots battles, interactable features (like the cave with goblins mentioned in one interview), or perhaps a hall with added tools for machinima/guild meeting recording (interactable camera "hooks", etc).
    ObliviousPrime likes this.
  17. pseudo

pseudo Podcaster

I took warplots to be a sort of guild hall... albeit a defensive one!
    The Duck likes this.
  18. Sick

Sick Cupcake

Cool Guild Features already listed above... (And my thoughts)

- Custom and unlimited ranks.
    (This! 10 ranks kinda sucks. At least maybe allow for 20 ranks instead of the typical 10.)

- Extensive rights management for members.

(If this means the effective ability to delegate ALL "Guild Master" abilities to guildies, then yes, I'd love this. I run more of a "laid back" guild where we have a lot of officers instead of just a few chosen folks who control everything. Being able to authorize folks to do things is a must.)

- Custom Guild Icons

(We need the ability to be able to brand ourselves in-game much more-so than a knife or blade or star or crescent moon.)

Features I'd like to see...

- Guild Ships (5+ person guild mounts)

(I mentioned this in the "Mounts" thread, but I figured I'd re-post it here. I know there is an intention to have War Plots, but from what I understand that will be instanced. in WoW you have travelers mamoths that can hold 3 folks. Why not have a "Ship or Shuttle" that can carry 5. Put 2x Turrets on it and allow for air-to-air combat! Perhaps you could put a debuff on and a timer and even a limit of # of ships that can be summoned based on how many guildies are on-line.)

- Guild Alliances

(I remember back in Warhammer Online, you could have I think up to 3 guilds you were aligned with. This gave you a "/a" chat that allowed you to chat across guilds. Could be useful for co-ordinating smaller guilds and such.)

- Pre-Launch Guild Registration (Not just talking about beta)

(In SW:TOR you could register your guild ahead of time. This would be nice to be able to do in WildStar too.)

Sorry, BW... Just say NO to in-game voice!

Mumble (Best) Vent (Better) TeamSpeak (LOL) Skype (meh) all do these tasks fairly well already. There are those that don't even want Voice Chat and you would be forcing them to run something (extra CPU time) when they might not need it.

Some people use a whole separate machine for Voice Chat because their main machine can't handle running two things at the same time. Not me, but I know folks.

Anyway, I'm on the "Please, no Voice-Chat in-game tools bandwagon".
  19. Hope

Hope Cupcake-About-Town

I agree, built-in voice chat in MMOs is generally a waste of resources, whether it's the time spent developing their own or the licensing fees when using one of the platforms that are available (such as Vivox).

Most raiders usually have their own preferred solution anyway, which offer way more features and management options. I mean, WoW has a built-in voice feature, but I haven't met anyone who actually used it.

There are just so many better alternatives, Mumble, Ventrilo or Teamspeak, even completely free ones that do not require renting a server like C3 or RaidCall.
    Auryn and Ingsoc like this.
  20. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

Okay, you all seem to miss my point about the voice chat.
    • It would be optional to use it. No one forces anyone here.
    • You have the choice to not use a 3rd party voice chat. Like I said, sometimes it's hard to get people to configure stuff outside the game.
    • The voice chat could be an addon.
    • What if the in-game voice chat could also connect to a external (Mumble) server, just like the normal client would? And have the entire (Mumble) interface in-game?
    • You'll still have the option to use voice chat the 'normal' way.
    I just hate having to go outside a game and do stuff while I'm gaming. I would find it really nice if I can see and control voice chat in-game. Easier to use, for myself and for other players too.
    And this idea also applies to a limited forum, an extra space where you can write down rules, news, etc. Wouldn't it be nice handle everything in-game without the need to pay for a website?
    SiegaPlays, Taters and Yakzan like this.