1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Guild features in Wildstar

Discussion in 'Guilds, Circles and Warparties General' started by Black Wolf, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Yakzan

Yakzan "That" Cupcake

I understand what you're getting at and I don't disagree at all. The main points we're just getting at is that if they managed to do it right it'd be an enormous precedent in this field and one we doubt will ever happen, due to the reasons we mentioned. If it would work out like you say, then that'd be awesome. We just have our doubts, that's all.
  2. Slyndria

Slyndria Cupcake-About-Town

The problem with most in game "voice chat" is that generally sucks!

If done right and well, I could see it being useful.
  3. Zinn

Zinn Cupcake-About-Town

Nice post and I agree. I would also add that it is a waste of limited Developer time and resources. I also agree Mumble is the best. With easy to use 3rd party programs that almost everyone uses I just do not see the need for in game voice chat. Maybe a few years after release when a game is more complete. But I would argue that it should not be a priority.
  4. Shadydemise

Shadydemise Cupcake

Hmm, now this is actually an interesting idea. We could create an addon that is essentially a simplified extension of an external server (Also looking at Mumble). While I don't think it would be able to be as in-depth as the native Mumble UI, that's not necessarily a bad thing. It could require you to download Mumble (and provide easy instructions for basic setup) but then attach it inside the game in a better way than overlay.

I assume this would be a pretty difficult task and might even violate some ToS that Carbine will come out with for addon development. That said, with the user-accessible stance Carbine has taken on addon creation, it may not be impossible. It could be that a community-driven team attempts to create this addon with direct communication with the development team. That way, the resources spent by the company would be limited but we could still have the addon be worked on.

I'm not sure the addon would be entirely needed but I can see the potential benefits of not having to alt-tab or switch to another screen when dealing with small issues.
  5. Patrician

Patrician "That" Cupcake

I would like to see guild leaders given the ability at max level (or max guild level, if that is a "thing" at release) to design guild uniforms for their players.

Basically these would just be unique armor sets that look sort of "uniform" across the classes. Then the guild leader would design things like, what kind of shoulders to go with the uniform, the colors, and simple things. Then people could wear the gear in their wardrobe slot (since we know those are in) whenever they want once they reach a certain rank in the guild or something.

This would allow guilds to sort of "parade" around for community gatherings and events and show themselves off in a new way we've rarely seen in a lot of MMOs.

Obviously someone's gear sets are the most important to them when they want to show off that, but this would be more about certain special times when people want to display extreme guild pride. I know there are sometimes we've had that desire in some guilds, to be able to wear a "uniform" that's unique to our guild.
    JarNod, Kurik Lein, Ender and 3 others like this.
  6. Gravy

Gravy Cupcake

Mumble actually provides overlay functionality built into the client so you get functionality inside the game your're playing. http://mumble.sourceforge.net/Overlay
  7. Zinn

Zinn Cupcake-About-Town

Teamspeak also provides overlays in games as well.
  8. Kurik

Kurik Super Cupcake

Guild chat app that you can download onto your desktop or mobile device for when you're not in-game. :)
    cali, Patrician, Yakzan and 1 other person like this.
  9. Zinn

Zinn Cupcake-About-Town

I would love to see a return of what DAOC did allowing guilds to make guild emblems and put the emblem on their cloaks as well as the cloaks of any npcs the guild controlled. I thought that was a fantastic feature.
    Patrician and Yakzan like this.
  10. Shadydemise

Shadydemise Cupcake

Understood, and I think you are misinterpreting the intent of my post. I should have focused more on this part of my comment:

I am well aware of the current overlay systems but dislike it when dealing with a large number of people. Generally, the only time I find overlay useful is prior to learning every person's voice. Even then, I have found it can be a bit distracting.

The purpose of my comment was an attempt to address what Black Wolf was trying to say. Some people dislike having to deal with an out-of-game voice server. While I do not mind using the mumble application outside of the game, I could see the benefit of having an extension of mumble plugged directly into the game UI (as an addon). Something that can be toggled on/off and displays simple functions like showing users connected, moving channels, muting/kicking people, etc. It does not have to be as feature-rich as the native Mumble client is. I'm merely suggesting that it could be an interesting feature to look into that does not require many resources from the development team.
  11. Patrician

Patrician "That" Cupcake

That would be great as well!

Also, I was thinking about my guild uniform idea... and I could make it even easier on the Developers and even MORE robust for the players.

Basically, allow Guild Leaders to put an armor set together in a special wardrobe window that is just for their guild. Then everyone they allow has access to this "set" and THAT is the guild uniform. This would allow guild leaders to custom tailor their own guild uniform out of whatever they find in game and dye it however they like and then bam: A uniform that can be used by their entire guild.

If you want, you could even restrict it by saying only one type of gear together is an option. Like, only medium can be in one uniform look.... or only heavy. The guild leader has to choose one set for everyone to "wear."

This makes it so the developers don't even need to create unique sets for this feature. All they need to do is allow a cosmetic option to be obtainable through joining a guild, perhaps being "unlocked" by either progression, or the guild leader choosing certain ranks access to the uniform.

One could even say it doesn't work in combat if people are worried about that.
    Zap-Robo likes this.
  12. Ender

Ender Well-Known Cupcake

I would love to see that, really! A full uniform could be so cool. Sure, symbols on cloaks and such is nice, but an actual uniform would just be amazing.
    It could even stretch to guild mounts, say, the colors carrying over to a specific model of hoverbike or something like that.

I'd also like to see some sort of minor reward system guilds can work towards together. It shouldn't be something too heavy that required you to be in a really large guild, but temporary buffs for instance, 24 hours of 5% extra exp or something like that. Just little things that feels like a nice little reward for helping out your guild.
  13. moneda

moneda Cupcake-About-Town

One that interferes with my chosen gameplay recording software. :(
  14. Khade Deveron

Khade Deveron New Cupcake

I have mixed opinions on in-game voice. I have seen it done fairly well in games like DDO. At the same time, there are lots of options out there. Lately I have been testing out C3 and have been VERY impressed with the technology.
  15. thrastorm7

thrastorm7 Cupcake-About-Town

Ah lets see...

1. Unlimited ranks or at least a huge amount of them
    2. Guild Custom Banner and Tabard
    3. Calendar that people will be able to sign up, even if they are logged out.
    4. A well designed control panel where you ll be able to check at any point, how many people there are from each class and what rank (being able to exclude ranks would be great)
    5. Guild Perks, that each guild will be able to acquire ONLY when completes some hard in game challenges, such perks should not affect individuals for their activities (such as leveling crafting etc), but should benefit the whole Guild on upcoming challenges (raids, pvp etc).
    6. Guild Bank
    7. On /who <guildName> (or similar command) to be able to check people's ranks, or at least officers and guild master.

that's all for now
    Gargantua likes this.
  16. cali

cali Cupcake-About-Town

Most of what I want is pretty basic:
    1. Guild Bank
    2. Warplots/Fortress - the ability to assign players other than the GM to maintain this. What can I say? I like to delegate.
    3. At least 6 ranks within guild - basic notes that I can allow players to change based on rank in permissions.

I don't think an in game voice chat will get used. I've never, ever used the one in WoW because the people that I would pug with either had a vent/mumble server or wanted to get on Skype...which is free. In theory it was nice to have available but it was a huge waste because it is used so very little.

I HATE systems that force people to join guilds in order to play the game. Perks like +xp or run speed are pretty much game breaking and should be available to everyone, even people that would rather level outside of a guild. Just please don't do it, I believe the guild perk system in wow is part of the reason that the game doesn't feel very social. People should want to be in a guild because it gives them a group of people to play with while they're online. They should not join a guild because it's pretty much mandatory because you miss out on extra XP if you fly solo.
    Elsie likes this.
  17. Clowne

Clowne Cupcake

I'd like to see guild "event starters" like the Guild Missions that are coming in Guild Wars 2. So a guild that does enough things together (raids, social gathering, open-world PvP attacks) can purchase and start events for all of us. Aside from that, guild uniforms and a complex (but not entirely custom) emblem creator would be nice. Maybe just some movable layers and colors like APB had (despite the gameplay flaws, you have to give the game some credit for a good custom content system.. that was horribly abused).

I'd like to see perhaps just a few sets of mass-produced looking gear, maybe 3-6 different sets of armor for each armor class, that you can mix and match as the guild leader and manufacture as sort of wardrobe "tokens." So it would take guild points to make them and give them out, but once a member used the token to add the uniform to his wardrobe (and it would change automatically if the guild leader ever changed it), he would have it until he left the guild.
    Malisent likes this.
  18. Taters

Taters Cupcake

Imagine an indicator in the default UI raid frames showing who's talking...shhhh...just imagine it.
  19. Dragnog

Dragnog Cupcake-About-Town

I personally feel that the guild bank is often underutilized because you are out questing and it is back in town. I would like more universal access to it.

I don't actually think that most guild systems really utilize the potential of what the guild members have to offer and so I would love to see some more automation in this area.

For example:
    You are starting a new crafter you have no idea what you will want to make and there are only limited number of things that you are going to need, but you have a skill that could be useful to the rest of the guild. I would like to see it automatically put out work orders on what you can provide to guild members. When a guild member reaches the appropriate level for an item the guild automatically sends him the item for him to use.

I would like to see much more ability to create automation for management tasks a GM has to do.

For example:
    You are running a relatively large guild with a significant turn over of people. Instead of you having to go through the list every month to look for when people were last active (over all characters in the guild) it is done for you automatically removing those who you have logged in on any characters.

I would also like to see much more automation on guild recruitment though WoW seems to be doing a relatively good job of this.

I would like to repetition of guild events on the calendar so that you don't have to setup each one separately and make this profile visible to potential people joining so they can see your grouping day right away.

More automation means less time that the GM has to spend doing housekeeping instead of playing.

I don't know it just feels that guilds are always rather underdeveloped. I think members of a guild need much more visibility of how the guild is achieving and that they are contributing to that achievement so that it builds guild loyalty. I would like to see guilds take on much more of the idea of branding: if you are part of this guild what does that mean about you as a person? How is your guild contributing to the community?
    Malisent likes this.
  20. Malisent

Malisent Cupcake-About-Town

I love the idea of guild quests that are more than just 'guild needs to kill/craft/loot x' for an achievement or rank. Some guild related missions where you really all have to work together would be great for getting everyone to feel like a team outside of raids.

Be it for alliances/guilds whatever, I'd love to see some sort of optional loot system built into the game that goes beyond N/G/P, with options to utilizing guild ranks, time in the guild, etc (EPGP type thing). Sure takes a big headache off of guild leaders to not have to manage loot outside the game or using a bunch of add-ons.
    Emmerich likes this.