1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Guild features in Wildstar

Discussion in 'Guilds, Circles and Warparties General' started by Black Wolf, Feb 23, 2013.

1. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

Sorry could not make this short, started adding my 2c, but it turned into something else :p

I started a talk about a political inguild system in another thread about half a year ago, including some guild perks ideas and inputs from others here on WSC.

Also, another thread about peoples experience with guilds.

Combinations of prior posts and my thoughts on it.

*Guild administration*

Ingame guild recruiting system - and as suggested by Lethality, accessable outside game, accessable from mobile/browser out of game too.

Customizable 10-tier guild ranks, no more than 10 if combined with the guild team system:
    Guild teams (multiple teams per members) and customizable roles in the teams - for instance one could make a "raid one team" with leader, tank, offtank, heals, dps, or the "guild healer team" could have the roles class leader, main healer, healer and offhealer.

Tag alts to mains.

Extensive rights management/delegation for all guild features, and tied to ranks/teams/teamroles.
    Optional authenticator requirement for withdrawing from bank/depots/guild storage/guild hall.

Officer notes

Alliance tool, that gives access to an extra layer of communications with alliance guild leaders as a mininum, members as a perk.

Guild bank, Guild harvest depot, other specialized storage facility (which I also would want for my characters :p)

*Guild communication*

Message of the Day, accessable from mobile/browser out of game too.

Ingame guild forum or as a minumum a couple of ingame customizable pages for guild information, expectations, guidelines, etc. to outline guild objectives and strategy and dress code. Accessable by mobile/browser out of game too.

Guild chat, accessable from mobile/browser out of game too.

Guild member notes

Ingame voice chat (guild, local, groups, raid), push to talk and optional. I agree with Black Wolf about it being nice for some, and if it is optional, why not. Voice chat ingame in EQ2 seems to work nicely for more connective groups outside guild/friends.

Calendar feature supporting guild events among other things, accessable from mobile/browser out of game too.

Transaparent Guild roster showing professions, recicipies in guild, ranks, teams, roles, alts/mains, paths, class, race, last on, joined, and member/officer notes depending on rights to see them.

*Guild showcase*

Guild hall for guild trophies

Optional Guild bumper/figure/logo for member mounts, speeders, ships, submarines, houses etc.

Short-term "superhero" member title for last week top guild in whatever areas there is. Something they can prance around with for a week.

If guild hall, appearance mannequins for (optional/obligated) member dress codes.

*Guild perks*

Personally I am a great believer in recent glory rather than past glory - I work the same way with EPGP :p - so something that needs maintainance by weekly or monthly activity. Guild perks fades away if not maintained by activity.

This leads me to think along the line of categorizing guild perks to some core playstyle, which get maintained by activities in the core playstyle and activities along the same line as the core playstyle.

Add a scalable tag so even medium to lower activity can derive some measure of guild perk in a category. Exactly how much is decided by last weeks activities. The perks is one or the other, so the guild leader can pick the one more fitting the guild objectives.

So here is some ideas:

Activities: doing content in a social guild setting, group content and raid content, and finishing settler objectives
    Perk: access to open world PvE zone event starters OR access to open world PvP zone event starters, both on a scalable CD.

Activities: finding/opening access to zones, instances, war fronts, maps, and finishing explorer objectives
    Perk: scalable on foot speed bonus out of combat in open world OR scalable speed bonus on flight paths/travelling conveniences.

Activities: advancing through lore, researching, identifying, completing epic lore quest lines and collections, and finishing scientist objectives
    Perk: scalable bonus gold for the guild coffers OR scalable bonus effect/time on some types of consumables (crafting, food, drinks, etc.).

Activities: being in the killzone, both from sheer numbers and quality (normal mobs, players, rares, faction bosses, 20 man bosses, 40 man bosses, etc.), and finishing soldier objectives.
    Perk: summon group members OR teleport to guild flag (maybe from housing/guild hall), both on a scalable CD.
    Black Wolf likes this.
  2. Joshue Monk

Joshue Monk New Cupcake

I like this idea. I would add on to this and say that if people wanted to keep their elite gear, they could do so but as a guild you can add on a pattern and colors to the gear. You could also place the design logo of your guild somewhere on the gear.
  3. FelixAkuma

FelixAkuma Cupcake-About-Town

Don't know if its been mentioned as i haven't read the whole thread but i just hope that the guilds are account based so that we don't have to get invites for seperate Alt characters, that is one thing i liked about GW2, that your whole account was in the guild. :p
  4. Joshue Monk

Joshue Monk New Cupcake

[quote="I don't know it just feels that guilds are always rather underdeveloped. I think members of a guild need much more visibility of how the guild is achieving and that they are contributing to that achievement so that it builds guild loyalty. I would like to see guilds take on much more of the idea of branding: if you are part of this guild what does that mean about you as a person? How is your guild contributing to the community?[/quote]

Interesting. It would be a neat perk if you could put up signage for your guild in town advertising or just giving a shout about your guild? That would bring prestige to your guild and everyone will know who has been contributing to the community. That would be a nice feature.
  5. Rogosh

Rogosh Cupcake-About-Town

Mumble is solid, vent is old and laggy. Currently most pvp guilds are leaning towards skype because of the lack of lag and open/closed mic option. And skype is free ;0
  6. Alverad

Alverad Well-Known Cupcake

I like that idea :) One fear I have when it comes to guild perks is having it done 'a la Blizzard', or even GW2 to an extend, where in order for the guild to progress swiftly you require masses. Makes it nearly impossible for smaller establishment to keep up with the big guilds, very soon becoming less attractive for others due to not having all the top perks. The whole concept the way I have seen it implemented also discourages guild loyalty. People hop around for the benefits, rarely stopping to try and actively participate in building one themselves.

I can't really think of a solution, and hence I'm leaning towards scrapping the perks altogether. That said, there is probably a way to tackle it right :p
  7. Yakzan

Yakzan "That" Cupcake

This is actually precisely why I don't like how they did it. It looks good on paper but in practice it's counter-productive to building a good guild community. Now everyone is in a guild where they never talk to each other just to benefit from these perks, along with other factors that further discouraged actually talking to each other. Like in vanilla WoW people usually gathered in guilds while leveling to find other people to group up with while questing or find other players to do dungeon runs with. At least there you had people communicating to some extent.

I do like giving guilds benefits but I honestly can't think of a good system that does so without creating that mentality I described above. I guess the best compromise I've seen from my own experience was LotRO's system where it was time based rather than contribution based and provided more options like kinship mail and the kinhouse. That's not for everyone, though, and I didn't like having to 'unlock' officer chat, for example.
    Fate Flyer and Alverad like this.
  8. Angelo Cocco

Angelo Cocco New Cupcake

I absolutely hated that part of WoW because it forces you to be in a certain guild if you want to level quick and get cheaper items! Please don't do it!
  9. Lethality

Lethality "That" Cupcake

But... if you want to "level quick" or "get cheaper items" don't you think there are concessions you have to make? Contributions to the structure that provides you with those (the guild?)

If everyone didn't always have their eye on "the end", in this case for example... if players simply formed a guild of friends and progressed through the guild systgem together, that's what it's all about (and what it was designed to do). If it's "gamed" by players, only the players are to blame (well, the developers a little too ;)
    Angelo Cocco likes this.
  10. Yakzan

Yakzan "That" Cupcake

It's a good point about the "Gamed" aspect. It's something rather prevalent in all MMO systems really. It's something that developers need to keep a very careful on. You can design a system with the best intentions but if you're not careful it might end up becoming counter-productive to your true intention of the system. From my experience, I've seen the whole guild perk thing go both ways, the players using it as intended and players "gaming" it (Just look at all the massive "zerg/perk" guilds.) While it's true that it is the players's fault, the developer's job is to use the system to direct the player to do something. So if the system is being counter-productive to its intentions, try to find ways to alleviate it. That said, I'm not saying that I can come up with a better way on the fly, just that it's something to keep in mind whether it be a system in a game that's already out or a game that is being made now or in the future.
    Angelo Cocco likes this.
  11. Angelo Cocco

Angelo Cocco New Cupcake

This game was made to stop by and enjoy every bit of game play I don't think that it would fit well to be blasting through everything because they put so much content into everything. Although this is just my opinion and is no more valuable than yours I really hope they let guilds be friends and not forced into one like it was in WoW.
  12. Fate Flyer

Fate Flyer "That" Cupcake

Yeah, the way LotRO has guild perks set up probably worked best, in my opinion, as it allowed guilds to remain smaller and more close-knit while still enjoying all the perks the large guilds had. The longer a guild is around for, the more that should become available to them, I think.

I really didn't like that either in WoW, where everyone wanted to join all the biggest guilds for no other reason than the perks that came with it. Not my idea of what it means to be in a guild.
    Yakzan and JarNod like this.
  13. Lethality

Lethality "That" Cupcake

Well, I have to respectfully disagree that anyone was forced into a guild in WoW, in any way.

The perks are totally benign, not required or game-breaking in any way, and indeed simply a benefit for working within that specific team. The "forced" idiom is cast upon by players and players alone. It's the perception of some players, but not an actual requirement.

I definitely think there needs to be guild progression of some sort, minimally a guild achievement system. If you really look closely at WoW, they did it pretty much right.

If guilds *start* as friends, as intended, then this all takes care of itself. :)
    Angelo Cocco likes this.
  14. Vyver

Vyver "That" Cupcake

Hmmmm, just give me a customizable base, a bank, and a good chat system and I'm all set :cool:

Maybe they can do the CoH thing and all guilds to purchase teleport pads to different zones (after a guildmember has fully explored them) but even then it was merely a window dressing in CoH so I dont really..care.
    Lethality likes this.
  15. Lethality

Lethality "That" Cupcake

You're right, and that's all it needs to be... just *some* form of guild progression that shows a) commitment by the guild to the members and b) commitment of the members to the guild.

A guild hall/base that is persistent over time would be a great way to measure and represent that!
  16. FluidD

FluidD Cupcake-About-Town

Warplots! Warplots! Warplots!

Yipee!

From the way they described warplots I pretty much took it as guild battleground/fortresses... thats coo if you ask me
  17. ObliviousPrime

ObliviousPrime "That" Cupcake

I would like to add the feature of demoting inactive members a rank if they are inactive a set period of time (a month or two). So you won't have an inactive leader they would be demoted and the most senior of the rank below gets automatically promoted.
    Kataryna and SiegaPlays like this.
  18. Fate Flyer

Fate Flyer "That" Cupcake

Hm, I hadn't thought of something like that, but that actually makes a lot of sense! No point in letting a whole guild fail and fall apart just because the guild leader decides to stop logging in and caring. It would be in the best interest of the guild to have an officer promoted to the guild leader in a case such as that. This also would be effective in sorting all the inactive regular members.
  19. Whistler

Whistler Cupcake

"Message of the Day, accessable from mobile/browser out of game too.

Ingame guild forum or as a minumum a couple of ingame customizable pages for guild information, expectations, guidelines, etc. to outline guild objectives and strategy and dress code. Accessable by mobile/browser out of game too.

Guild chat, accessable from mobile/browser out of game too.

Guild member notes

Ingame voice chat (guild, local, groups, raid), push to talk and optional. I agree with Black Wolf about it being nice for some, and if it is optional, why not. Voice chat ingame in EQ2 seems to work nicely for more connective groups outside guild/friends.

Calendar feature supporting guild events among other things, accessable from mobile/browser out of game too." (sorry, couldn't find the quote button)

---

YES! This is a great idea. I have always wanted some sort of out-of-game app, preferably a guild app for smartphone that lets me type in guide chat, view messages, calenders/events, etc. I would gladly poney up a few bucks for this (although free is better).
    Gargantua likes this.
  20. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

you want the "reply" button at the bottom beside "like"