1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Guild features in Wildstar

Discussion in 'Guilds, Circles and Warparties General' started by Black Wolf, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Whistler

Whistler Cupcake

Thanks ;)
  2. Alverad

Alverad Well-Known Cupcake

I don't think I like that idea. I realize there are various possible scenarios in regard to guild leadership, I, however, am inclined to think that unless the founder(s) of the guild wants to pass it on, it should stay as his/theirs property.

In an extreme case of someone vanishing for a long period of time, when there really is no contact with them, those things can potentially be sorted via customer support.

I really don't believe you should be able to automatically demote a GM because he happens to be on long holidays/sick etc. The guild can still run just fine, that's where officers step in. And if for whatever reason, the majority isn't happy about the state of things, there is always the option to split and create a guild of your own.

Trying to remember various guild related dramas across my years of gaming, most were not caused buy long term players/founding members, rather impatient, entitled new ones. While a guild is a community, it isn't a democracy, at least, I am yet to see one. You make one, you set the rules. Quite obviously, it's in everyone's best interest to make it as appealing as possible to others, that does not however, entitle anyone and everyone to managing it 'in lieu'.

Should the founder of the guild not care and guild leadership gets passed around periodically, the situation idd becomes a little more complex. However, that's where this idea (by SiegaPlays)
    could come in handy :p

Should we have some sort of guild perks that required constant activity to maintain a certain level, we'd never end up in a situation, when the whole guild chooses to leave, but it's the twatty GM that keeps the biggest assets. If people leave, the guild looses value. Motivating enough if you ask me, and elimiates the need for fiddling with management and ranks.
  3. ObliviousPrime

ObliviousPrime "That" Cupcake

I speak for experience our guild leader in GW2 disappeared then came back for a few days then left again. no means of contact and no word of what happened or when she would return.
    We had someone who was a co-leader and had all the privileges so we did not care.
    Until guild missions arrived and the activation can only be done by the leader.

Anet support could not do a thing. I think its against customer policy to mess around with a persons settings and they can't give us her email for the same reason.

If you say just make another guild, then what about the influence (or of the guild points systems in the game) and unlocks we have in the guild. what about our guild reputation that we built. A guild isn't just about the leader.

so yeah, if some wants to be a leader they should be responsible enough to actually play the game or just turn over leadership.
  4. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

they actually put in a system in WoW before I left that would, after a certain amount of time of the Leader being offline, put it to a vote or something for the officers to "Dethrone" the current Guild Leader.

link to how it works: https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/guild-dethrone
  5. Alverad

GW2 has abominable in-game support, in fact, it's non existent. And I do understand it can be frustrating, however, it's still that person's guild, like it or not. If he is being a prick, then maybe it's a good idea to take your business elsewhere. My point is, guild perks are directly linked to requests for shift of power, because people do not want to leave behind the benefits. The problem is not random pain in the ars GMs, it's the system of perks as it happens to be implemented in some games. It doesn't encourage people to try to build a community of their own, it just seems easier to cling on to something that's already there and potentially take it over. That's wrong right there.

I understand that guild reputation is an important factor, as well as the individual and collective effort put into making it what it is; one thing to bear in mind is that it applies to everyone, GM as well. Guild founders often invest a hefty amount of time/effort and money initially into creating the guild in the first place. I'd dispute if it's ok, to just kick them out. In my eyes they are the rightful owners of the establishment. I'd compare it to a pub you like to visit, and you have been visiting for years. Feels like home, you know everyone there, and then it goes down hill. You won't be happy about it, but it's not your property, despite the fact that it got where it is because you kept on spending your money there. You can try to convey your concerns, but it's as far as you can go.

Truth is, even the best perks in WoW/GW2 are not game breaking enough to stop you from reorganizing and starting fresh, if you have enough active players around that share your concerns. And maybe I'm naive, but I honestly think, incidents with absent GM's are nowhere near common enough to merit such drastic measures.

As for Blizzard's solution, it's a very rational one. However, if someone is being purposely mean about things, he can make sure he logs once a week for an hour, just in spite, rendering the whole tool useless. To summerise, if a GM wants to act like a twat, he/she will find a way to make sure guild leadership remains in their hands. If they are simply absent for other reasons, it's always better to get in touch, discuss the matters and settle everything amicably. It does require a bit more effort then an auto demote system :)
  6. TheJedi

TheJedi New Cupcake

Not interested in voice chat in game.
    I would rather see more resources focused on guild features and perks.

My guild has a 500 member teamspeak3 server that I was able to get with a non profit license before they changed their rules for it. And honestly the administration features I have available the tweaking we can do to it.. and the other little things like avatars with also links to our guild's web page. Are things my guild have fallen in love with.

Games like Borderland 2 did fine with voice chat because .. you only had groups of 4.
    But in a game with raids.. The tech required to handle it.. would require a ton of development time.

I would rather see that time focused on guild content and game content.

Plus there are millions of players who are used to setting up third party voice chat software. This has been going on since roger wilco .. so its not that big a deal. It takes 30 seconds to download the average voice chat client. Nothing worth worrying about when there are more important issues for guilds.
    serenedream likes this.
  7. Alverad

I agree about voice chat, it seems to be fairly challanging to setup a good, functional voice chat in a game, and frankly, delivering a subpar solution, in comparison to third party software that is out there, seems more like a waste of resources, then anything else.

One thing that could potentially be considered in agreement with any of the big providers out there, like Teamspeak, is facilitating paid access to the service via the official website. I can only imagine companies would be willing to cooperate on a solution like that.

Though again, as you say, in most cases it isn't neccesary, more of a convinience service then anything else.
  8. serenedream

serenedream Cupcake

I would agree with you 100%.
    It takes very little time to download and install third party voice over systems that would be way easier then developing and balancing an in game version (see defiance in game voice chat).

I rather see features like:
    • integration with websites/mobile (armory/guild applications/ chat/ ect)
    • Calenders
    • Banks/Vaults
    • Achievements
    • Ranking system versus other guilds/circles/warparties)
    • Allies/enemies system (for other guilds/circles/warparties)
    • Social media tie ins
    Gargantua likes this.
  9. Nymaen

Nymaen New Cupcake

So many good ideas in this thread! Some of these aren't original, but worth reiterating as they are things that myself (as GM) and my guild have mentioned we'd like to see.
    Guild and Guild-Centric features
    • Website integration for guilds is a great idea. We have a chat box. shout box on the guild page and it really helps keep the community in contact. A mobile app with chat and access to guild features like member list and an in-game events calendar would be even better if possible.
    • A guild achievement, perk and ranking system is always a nice way to do extra things with the guild. the GW2 missions etc and influence system have given us a casual platform to do stuff as a guild which serves as a nice break from more competitive game aspects.
    • In game voice chat support might be nice for pugging, but most large or serious guilds have a paid or free VoIP. To me it's a waste of dev time that could be spent on something more crutial to the enjoyment of game play.
    • I enjoy the system of inviting an account to a guild, so you don't have to worry about keeping track of alts etc. However, this system may not apply to a multi-faction game. It would be nice to see some kind of implementation of this in Wildstar though.
    • Guild Hall. Yes. Wildstar has player housing, so why not a Guild Hall? Although I suppose I could just donate my house to the guild... You could have a hearth stone to this location as well as some kind of achievement for the guild.
    • Pre-launch guild registration would be excellent. Even if just to save your guild name and allow players to join guild via the website.
    • Guild armour, either a default design or something customizable. Even just one armour piece with the guild emblem/ colours on it.
    • /who feature for identifying a player guild, and even a /gm <guildname> feature for contact between leadership. Even a report feature that can let you report a player to the GM of that guild.
    • Guild info page or system ingame for recruiting without having to spam big messages in chat.
    • Player inspection system (armour, build, class etc)

Guild Interface Features/ Management:

• Last time a member logged in, even if only viewable by GM/ Leadership
    • Some kind of noting system on the member list
    • System of searching member list with useful filters. ( Name, level, class, role, location, crafting profession.)
    • Built in guild events calendar and system
    • Unlimited and customizable ranks, with extensive rights management
    • Custom guild emblems. Put heavy restrictions, make a fee attached to it, heavily moderate it whatever, but let guilds who really want to display their emblem in-game do so.
    • Showing guild members on your map and mini map so you can join up with them.
    • Guild bank with different sections for customizable rank tier access. (Keep more valuable items for higher rank distribution etc)
    • Guild fund bonus or tax system, where when a player loots X amount, the game puts Y amount in to the guild bank. Not from the players pocket, but as a bonus for playing. This could be limited to guild parties, or situational like dungeons etc.
    • Guild rules/ information page
    • Guild message of the day
  10. Denied-a Wildstar Guild

Denied-a Wildstar Guild Cupcake

Guild milestones - a list where you have predefined objects to choose from e.g. raid kills or warparty defended or custom ones that you can setup on your own e.g. 30 member reached.

Custom notes in guild or some sort of alt handling in guild so you know who is main and alt.