1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Guild Perks

Discussion in 'Guilds, Circles and Warparties General' started by thrastorm7, Feb 9, 2013.

1. thrastorm7

thrastorm7 Cupcake-About-Town

It is pretty successful when the guilds are rewarded with perks, my estimation is that one way or another perks will exist in Wildstar aswell...

What guild perks would you like to see?

Personally, i would love to see one that increases your running speed!
  2. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

No guild perks. It's too hard on new guilds to recruit new members.
  3. nomotog

nomotog Cupcake-About-Town

This is true. I'm even experiencing the effects now. I'm in a guild that is kind of behind on the perk tree and I feel pressure to abandon them in favor for a guild that comes with more perks.
  4. Vhiral

Vhiral Cupcake-About-Town

I like the idea of guild perks, but it really does make it hard for new guilds to emerge.
  5. Azzurri

Azzurri Podcaster

If they do have guild perks it needs to be something that doesn't effect the game, fluff type stuff so it doesn't deter recruiting.
  6. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

In WoW the perks come with the guild level as well. Level 25 guilds are being sold and bought, because it's too hard to level one up. People are less likely to join non-lvl 25 guilds unless it's a group of friends.

Totally broken system imho.
    Praiz likes this.
  7. Gravy

Gravy Cupcake

I really don't see the need for guild perks as it creates a few issues. The most important is a lot of people join guilds JUST for the perks, which is really dumb to me. We also encounter issues where some players are contributing towards perks, and others are not, creating resentment and annoyance within the guild. Overall it just creates a competitive environment around guilds for some ridiculous benefits, as opposed to friendly competition within the guild (top DPS, tank with the most health, most HPS, etc.). If I join a guild I have several questions, are the people in the guild nice/friendly and willing to work together? Do their goals fit my own? How is their guild structured? Would their guild benefit from my skills? I've never gone 'oh man if I join this guild I get an extra bit of rep, and a repair discount, yea!'. I don't see the point in it, you are a guild and supposed to work together, not join up with people for some bonuses that aren't provided by the players themselves.
    Tiberius likes this.
  8. Lethality

Lethality "That" Cupcake

The nice thing about Guild Perks is it gives a sense of explicit group accomplishments. None of the abilities are in any way mandatory, just nice to have (at least in WoW, not sure if there are other games with that sort of thing.)

I sort of liked GW2's idea for guild progression at first but it quickly showed its grindy and uselsss colors. I think that could have been much deeper and cooler.
    Crimzen and Ender like this.
  9. thrastorm7

Who said that guild perks should be implemented this way? can't you reward perks that affect other aspects of the game? such as raiding... And also, why not to change the way a guild win the perks, should never be from the contribution of each member... it can be from example if you as a guild achieve somethign really difficult, w/e this might be.

Problem have the guilds that focus more on lvling, if the perks though, do NOT benefit that aspect of the game, or they do not benefit the professions etc... can easily be implemented and will actually MEAN something... i am bored of all stupid perks "10% more chance to gain a skill while crafting", i want things that have a true meaning and acquired not with quest farming, or individual contributions, but with hard teamwork.

Guild perks should not be for everyone, should be for those that work harder than others to achieve something... That sounds elitist? well it is not... this is the only way to protect the casual guilds from getting struggled to get more people, and at the same time rewards real teamwork.
  10. Elthic

Elthic Cupcake-About-Town

To me guild perks are only necessary if the game itself doesn't view guilds as anything needed, or that players don't need them in order to accomplish their goals. So these benefits force players to join guilds whether they want to or not.

In WildStar guilds are going to be needed for warplots, and 40/20 man raiding. You are going to need large groups of people in your guilds in order to do this content, thus I don't see guild perks being necessary. People will have incentives to group up, and join guilds because of these things.
  11. thrastorm7

You said it very well.... You need guild for raiding and warplots.... Why not to reward that aspect with perks? that's my whole point...
  12. Elthic

I think giving out titles or mounts would be fine for completing that stuff, and have guild achievements. Remember there will be leader boards either in game, or outside the game that will be supported by Carbine. I just don't just think the 10% crafting speed buff, cheaper repairs, and whatever little bonus stuff is needed. Plus leveling a guild is just lame, and doesn't really add any game play.
  13. thrastorm7

You didn't get what i said.... my point is exactly NOT to give perks like that (proffession or lvling based), what if you give perks related to raiding and/or pvp... in other words, reward the team effort, and not on something simple, but on something that was hard to accomplish as a team
  14. Elthic

So are you saying if a guild beats a certain raid the guild gets access to a mass resurrection spell that could be used if you wipe or something?

If so I think something like that could be cool, but there has to be limit to the usefulness of these things that don't give a distinct advantage in combat. I am all for rewarding accomplishments to those that complete the content, just not game breaking rewards.
    Recruiter likes this.
  15. thrastorm7

Correct, this way such benefits wouldnt affect new guilds to recruit (obviously) and would be an extra motive or reward if you like for each progressive guild outthere... also i thought that the perk should be a bit better, something like (its just an example don't yell at me) raid leader gets to 1 combat res per 2 hours... or something like that, something that will have a true meaning and will help the guild to progress (ofc there will be tiers)
    Elthic likes this.
  16. Vhiral

Vhiral Cupcake-About-Town

What kinds of perk do you think would fit this category? Would it be something like "Healers get a 2% heal boost if the entire party is in the same guild, and they have beaten <REDACTED> before?". Or the same boss may have 5% less health if you have beaten him twice? Even something like that would still make guilds more popular then other ones, and create problems. I think a better alternative is achievements, so if the guild beats <REDACTED> in 10 minutes. They will get a guild achievement, that will allow them and the other guild members to purchase and exclusive pet/title/mount etc... From a guild vendor or something. I still however see problems in that also, because certain guilds can advertise that they have beaten a certain boss for this mount, and people will want to join them over others because they can join the better guild and get the mount.
  17. thrastorm7

And now you say what, that someone that look to raid and he is in search of a guild will go where? where they have more perks? that's out of question... i hope you understand why...

Problem with perks is that new guilds are not able to recruit cause other guilds offer perks that affect every gamer, either he is a lvler, or a profession whore, or a pvp farmer etc.... In case of a raid, you don't benefit individuals, you benefit the WHOLE guild...
  18. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

What about decaying perks, so an active guild, even a new one, has them, but only so long as people are active? Not saying this is better, but it is kind of an option, right?

EQ2 guild hall amenities is guild perks and they depend on guild level for how many to access and guild status points (which members earns through activities) and normal ingame currency to pay upkeep. But if we removed the level requirement from that equation, could it work?
  19. cali

cali Cupcake-About-Town

I thought the way that WOW did a guild perk system was absolutely awful. You got a speed and xp bonus for just joining a level 25 guild. That forced people to be in a guild, but not to be part of that guild. I would like to see maybe small bonuses to gold collected from mob drops for leveling with a guildy, or doing a dungeon with a guildy, but nothing that would force someone to be part of a group that they didn't have any association with.

I think these perks were meant to encourage social behavior which they kinda failed to do. There are so many better ways to encourage social behavior and develop bonds with people you meet in games. Honestly I'd rather not see any perks, being in a guild with people you enjoy playing with is a perk in and of itself.
  20. nomotog

nomotog Cupcake-About-Town

What if you made guild perks temporary. Like you guild completes a quest so they gain extra EXP for a week. This would give guilds something to work for and you could even gain a reputation as a guild that finishes a lot of quests, but the playing field is always level and you wouldn't be punished for being new.