1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Guild Perks

Discussion in 'Guilds, Circles and Warparties General' started by thrastorm7, Feb 9, 2013.

1. cali

cali Cupcake-About-Town

How would it work for those that didn't want to join a guild? If you give any bonuses to xp or movement speed that puts a lot of pressure on the players that would rather solo it. If someone wants to level solo and just enjoy the story?
  2. Lethality

Lethality "That" Cupcake

Well, that's why they are called "perks" - i.e. somethibg you get to take advantage of if you choose.

I think it's ok to provide perks for player to be group-minded in an MMO. T he players that want to go it alone can still do so, but just without the "perks"."
  3. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

Exactly, by decaying guild perks and making them depend on wether or not the guild do activities together (crafting, pvp, pve, quest, transport, decorate guild hall etc.) to earn the upkeep would be beneficial for all guilds new and old, depending on how much they teamworked the past week.

Remove the level requirement for guild perks, base it on recent teamwork activity.

Naturally that would give a new range of issues, like "forced" member labor and huge member numbers, unless it only counts the top # contributors, etc. :oops:

Make guild level just a count of how many active months the guild has lived, so it does show longevity.
    Tiberius and Black Wolf like this.
  4. nomotog

nomotog Cupcake-About-Town

I see what you mean, but I am cool with that.
  5. nomotog

nomotog Cupcake-About-Town

Same thing different tone. People hate with a capital H Hate up keep. Calling it a temporary bonus dosen't feel like upkeep to me even if that is exactly what it is.
  6. arnold

arnold Cupcake-About-Town

I think there should be weekly/monthly requirements to be eligible for the perks. WoW had the ranking system for guild activity, but it did absolutely nothing. I could be one of the top 3 overall "earners" for the guild, but I got all the same things as the casuals who played an hour here and there.

I think a good way to go about it would be to have a tiered ranking system for guild activity. Earn points for doing stuff with the guild, reset weekly or monthly.. More points unlock more tiers with better perks. There can be passive perks that just come with being in a guild, but it's not going to be XP or move speed or anything that greatly affects play. The point of being in a guild is to be social. Playing with the guild, leveling alts with your guildmates, raiding, pvp, what have you. You can do this stuff at any level, so it should work. Make something very appealing be the top tier, after spending a lot of time doing guild things. Something like +% proc chance on crafts/gathering. Maybe something that would require 3 weeks of good "xp" to get a bonus loot chance for week 4 of the month?

Or maybe just leave guilds out of it. Make it a "social" requirement. Queue for pvp, group for quests, run LFG for dungeons, etc. Lots of things to encourage being social. SWTOR tried to do this, but it was for things that weren't THAT cool, and didn't appeal to a whole lot of people.

I'd like to see something like that.
  7. Furday

Furday New Cupcake

The only guild perks I would like to see are a guild hall, access to an emblem editor, and capes.

Guild halls would be great for those trying to recruit new people into their guild. If someone would like to join a guild, just team up with that person and transport them to the guild hall. There would probably be quite a few members hanging around to interact with. You could probably show them how much your guild has achieved by showing them buildings, npcs, vanity items that are awarded to the guild from them playing the game together. This would probably make the newcomer feel "more at home" rather than just saying that your guild is very friendly. And with the housing system, people can visit other guild halls and see how one differs from the others.

Emblem editors are just there to make emblems for your guild to visually stand out, nothing more. Could be used on flags and armor to show your dedication to that guild. You could also use it on...

Capes. Who doesn't like capes? I sure don't (though I don't like capes that are just static and have no physics, but that's just my preference), except if I'm wearing an piece of armor that looks like a duster, any other armor that has loose clothing on the back, or armor that already has a cape on the back.

But for those who want advantages (like extra experience from kills and extra gold from loot) for grouping and doing something hard, I would not really know how to make these perks viable so that people don't just join because of it giving them a better advantage.
  8. thrastorm7

thrastorm7 Cupcake-About-Town

Guild perks should not be connected with lvling or Xp related mechanics... should be related to really challenging GROUP achievements... and the reward should be something to help the guild progress in the future. Should never favour players as solo.
  9. cali

cali Cupcake-About-Town

I'm a fan of guild banks too. Especially when you can limit certain tabs to allow 1 or 2 withdrawals a month for expensive stuff and open tabs for everyone to use for leveling crafting mats and lowbie weapons.
  10. jordan coughlin

jordan coughlin New Cupcake

Running speed is good! Maybe the Dash/Roll/Dodge distance, Things like Rift had. Banners/Flags to place down which Temporarily buff people within distance.<-- Help in raids. Also things like "5% of gold looted by guildmates goes to guildbank" , Maybe a drop chance increase if there are pets /mounts that drop from bosses. A guild mount, With customizable skins like a flag on the side of the mount with the guild emblem attatched for people to rep their guilds in pvp, or even in town.
  11. Praiz

Praiz Cupcake-About-Town

Please, seriously, nothing that improves your character in any way. I would really rather no guild perks at all, whatsoever, but if it has to be anything make it so minor that no one is going to decided against joining a guild based on perks.
  12. Honoracy

Honoracy Cupcake-About-Town

I also think that guild perks were a fail system in World of Warcraft. If Carbine had a new angle with them though, I would be interested to see it.
  13. Evgen88

Evgen88 Cupcake-About-Town

A perk can be beneficial and/or cosmetic.
    If it's beneficial then you run into the problem mentioned that everyone will want to join a high level guild.
    And only a small group of people in that guild could be working as a team, but the rest still get the benefits, so it's not really rewarding team work even if you base it on team accomplishments.
    If players took their guild xp or accomplishment points with them that might help with making new guild.
  14. Praiz

Praiz Cupcake-About-Town

It's just a pointless feature to me, if everyone can have it, it's nothing special, there is no need to ruin something like which guild you join, by introducing some fake perk, that in fact the game is normalised to you having. In WoW it's basically a given that you have the 10% bonus EXP. It's not some rare special feature where you get 10% more exp, the game assumes you have it. I really don't think guild levels or guild perks need to happen, quite the opposite, but that's only my opinion on the matter.​
  15. Riamu

Riamu Cupcake

I'm sorry but that's easily the funniest statement I've read so far. Please explain why it's to 'hard' to recruit players.

Time and effort = results. You can't expect everything to be handed to you from the get go.

I don't think WoW is a good example to choose, WoW is nearly 10 years old. You are forgetting when WildStar starts everyone will be at Lv.1.

Perks are a must, it gives a guild something to strive for; via crafting dailies, weekly guild quests. Though no information has been given yet, but I am strongly in favor for them.
  16. Praiz

Praiz Cupcake-About-Town

Reserved.
  17. Bisqquit

Bisqquit "That" Cupcake

While I can see an argument against any guild perks (and I'd be ok with it) I feel that guild perks brings a bit of flavour to guilds overall.

The problem is often these perks are implemented poorly, forcing people who'd rather not group up into large, anonymous guilds merely for the sake of some perks. I feel WoW's system is not only awful, but actually detracts from the community aspect.

My own personal take on it, is that guilds should be difficult to create in the first place. You really should have a purpose to having a guild. Every time I create a new character (particularly in WoW) theres always some beggar in the barrens looking for more to sign his charter. What is the guild for? Why can't he get his prospective guildies to sign it? I'd make it that anyone who wants to start a guild must have at least 5 founding signatures and they must all sign at roughly the same time in some kind of guild admin hall in a main city. The guild must then stay over 5 members for it's lifespan or else it is immediately disbanded. I have nothing against 2-4 people but its not a guild. Neither is 5 but I'm cutting slack.

In terms of progression, no-one should feel like they have to be part of a group in order to progress as an individual. Therefore, no xp boosts, speed boosts, faster mounts, better stats, quicker rep gains or anything like that. The perks should be guild focused only. I'm talking raid perks, warplot perks, bank tabs and cosmetic guild hall stuff. Nothing game breaking.

These perks should be obtained only by participating in group content with guild members. Playing in a dungeon with guildies = Guild XP. Grouping up with guildies to quest = Guild XP. Raiding with guildies = Guild XP.

I'm also in favour of a currency based system, where perks can be cherry picked in order to focus on a particular aspect a little quicker.

This encourages guilds to actually function as a guild without offering something a solo player would need for their own progression.
  18. cali

cali Cupcake-About-Town

If you've been in wow the past couple years you are probably familiar with their system. Guilds that are anything below level 25 are normally lacking things like xp bonuses for being in that guild and movement speed bonuses. I know a couple people say it's not a game breaking system to attach movement speed or xp gains to a guild but that's kinda like saying you could level 20-90 without using a mount. Mounts just increase your movement speed so it's not necessary to level. While this is true, you could level without getting a mount but how many people actually do that when they have the option to get one. People will naturally take the path of least resistance, taking a page from Jeremy Gaffney's book here, if the option to making something easier is there, people are naturally going to gravitate toward that option.

What game's guild perk systems do you think work? I'm of the belief that the simple having people in a chat channel that are available to play with is in itself the biggest perk a guild could give. It's really unnecessary to attach things that make you play the game faster solo, to a guild (woah you mean if I join this chat channel I run faster? OK lets do that!) The true perks are something that's naturally part of playing with a guild. You have the same group of people available to group with for certain things like questing, pvp and group challenges like raids or dungeons. You have people that you can talk to in chat and that are more likely to help each other out if you're trying to level a crafting profession, getting ganked, or need help killing that level 10 boss that you really want to do. These are people you get to know and become friends with. Being part of your own little sub-community is perk enough, no need to include all the extra stuff that forces players to play with people they would otherwise not.
    JarNod and Yakzan like this.
  19. qqmoarploxify

qqmoarploxify Cupcake-About-Town

Guilds survived without perks for many years, they can damn well survive again. Perks are kind of lame.

Also, Carbine has said they recognize that players would the majority of players nowadays like to play Solo. This is a game where you can do what you want and not be penalized. If they added perks like increased move speed, increased damage or whatever else, then those solo players would feel much more pressured to join a guild when they don't want to just to have equal footing with other players.
  20. Praiz

Praiz Cupcake-About-Town

Yeah, my reserved post was changed on the basis of asking myself "Is this constructive, positive, or nice? - or just inflammatory?" No one can argue they actually had a better guild experience with perks... :p