1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Guild Websites

Discussion in 'Guilds, Circles and Warparties General' started by Sabre070, Apr 16, 2013.

1. Sabre070

Sabre070 Cupcake-About-Town

I've read a couple of the posts here (firstly thinking it was more of a recruiting forum) and wondering what people really want a guild website for?

I run a guild with ~20 active members without a website, all communication done via our teamspeak server, it works well for us and does everything we'd do on a website anyway.

Personally I think its better to have the entire community based in one central location rather than split between a website and a voice service, what are your thoughts?
  2. Shu

Shu Cupcake

I like to use a website as a form of communication between me and members. Sometimes I'm not able to be online, or access teamspeak (work, out of town) etc. It's an easy way to make a bridge and discuss something while not on teamspeak/voice.
  3. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Voice service for me mostly is for in-game.

While with a website you can also reach those who don't have the means to be on voice chat at that time.

At work you can check a guild website for the latest raid news for that evening, while i don't think you can sneak into voice chat while at work :p Unless your boss needs glasses :geek:
  4. Sabre070

Well I do all my work from home, and I'm my own boss.. so.. maybe if I got glasses I would stop procrastinating so much?

While it is true that you can check updates on what's going to happen that night, the question is.. do you really have to?

For the most part we have secondary contacts (steam/facebook/email/phone) but really while at work there isn't much you can do if anything were to change with the raid plans that night.

I'm coming from more of a casual group so having the extra structure may help for more hardcore guilds (especially when you get to people applying based off of how much dps they do).

The only problem that I can really see with not having a website is the recruitment process, which is one of the reasons why my guild hasn't really changed numbers in the past couple of years. However (again from a casual perspective) I'd rather have someone that I know is easy to talk to and nice rather than some luck of the draw with an application (also rather just have someone come into teamspeak and have a chat, then having their acceptance based on that).

TL;DR: Any benefits for casual vs hardcore guilds?
  5. Silvers

Silvers New Cupcake

I am sort of in the same boat as you, we operate entirely using steam and ventrilo. When it came time for guild wars 2 to come out, i felt like i had to create a website, which i did but we never used it.

Likewise, the biggest issue we had was recruiting with this. We started with a friends only idea, then picked up the occasional person. I usually just whispered them in game and gave them an interview almost in there. It worked alright but we only recruited a few people.

After they were in though, i found it annoying that guild wars 2 only had a message of the day as any means for a guild leader to post info about the guild. I originally used that to link to our website with more info, but i ended up just using the message of the day to post the ventrilo information and that was it.

Long story short, I am really hoping W* has some key in game features for guild leaders so we do not even need to bother with a website.
  6. Mizpah

Mizpah Cupcake-About-Town

Well I will firmly come down in favour of the guild website!

Enigma has been around since 2005, and from that time onwards we have evolved what we need, want and use from a guild website. Before I go on, and to provide some context, here is the current guild website - http://www.enigmaguild.org - This as you can imagine is still a work in progress as we migrate towards wildstar. So what do we actually do with it ?

These are the current features, not everything will be available without a guild login, and I should also note that some of these are awaiting further information, or won't be possible until the game is live:

• News Updates - Stay in touch with the guild
    • Recruitment Status (who we want)
    • Recruitment applications system - apply, get a response, a TS3 interview etc
    • Boss kill 'reporting' with videos
    • Blog - on both wildstar, and wider MMO mechanics (such as websites!)
    • teamspeak 'at a glance'
    • Articles (many guild only)
    • Information on Enigma - overview history rules etc
    • User Profiles - including the optional sharing of personal and social contact details (to guild only)
    • A live calendar showing raids, with the option to sign up
    • Raid signup status for the logged in user (selected, not selected etc) by raid event
    • Guild Roster - players, ranks etc
    • Guild Forums
    • Email Alerts and Newsletter signups
    • Social Media integration
    • Patch Notes
    Other things we will hope to do, if the API's and technical interfaces for the game allow:

• Server Status
    • Display and details of builds (via roster)
    • Display of crafting information and capabilities (i.e. who can make what)
    • Recent in game drops block
    • Achievements stream
    • irc and chat integration
    • guild chat interface ?
    • Smart Phone Integration
    • Personal Paperdolls
    • Armoury type functions
    As you can see, many of these things are functional, and make life easier running and managing the guild.

If anything raises any questions, please shout and I will do my best to answer.
    Blankspace likes this.
  7. Tiberius

Tiberius Cupcake-About-Town

I was in a casual guild as well as a hardcore raiding guild.

Both had websites, and both had about three total posts in the multiple years they were up. I don't quite see the purpose either, but asynchronous communication would be the major selling point imo.
    SituationSoap likes this.
  8. Alverad

Alverad Well-Known Cupcake

Guild websites are an awesome idea. Really can't see a reason to limit yourself to just ts or in game comm options, especially considering how easy it is to set one up nowadays. It allows members to actively participate in the guild community no matter where they are. You can't hop on ts at work, or when travelling. You can't always log and play when you want to either. A guild site is a great extention to any in game or voice tools.
  9. Nymaen

Nymaen New Cupcake

My guild would fall apart if we relied on TS for sole communication. As a gaming community, we need people to be kept up to date on information, and people can't always get on to TS.

Our site uses a forum for each game we have a significant number of members in, places for people to discuss and organize real life events, a place for people to share things about themselves including art portfolios and music.

It's also a great place for me to post guild information, updates and guild meeting notes for anyone who missed out. Almost all of our leadership discussion, polling and major guild decisions are discussed and made on the forums.

The site is also a medium for chat while everyone is at work as well. It doesn't split our guild population at all, I think it improves the cohesion.

With applications, we look for someone who is a good fit. If they impress us in the application (personality > skill> dps) we invite them to TS for an interview/ chat. This way we get to know someone before saying yes, but we're also able to recruit enough numbers for raids and to have a large pool of players to game with.
  10. Denied-a Wildstar Guild

Denied-a Wildstar Guild Cupcake

I understand the OP here, I´ve also wondered from time to time to not have a website but to maybe have a facebook or google+ group instead but as many are saying with websites comes alot of benefits.
  11. SituationSoap

SituationSoap Cupcake-About-Town

In my experience, people only use guild websites when they're forced to. It's pretty hard to create internet communities that reach self-sustaining critical mass. It's much harder when you're limiting that to a couple dozen people who happen to share a single common interest.

Honestly, I think you could effectively do signups for your raids by using something like a shared Google spreadsheet. No need for a full website.
    kur1 likes this.
  12. Sabre070

Yeah, I just made a signup form to attempt to get a few more people in. Depending on how Wildstar is monetized I may not be able to get that many of the other members interested but still want to have a few friends on there (other than you guys) :)
  13. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

We had an active guild website back when the guild was active for planning and talking content and keeping in touch with those who stopped playing. Our guild would have been less of a teamworking community without it.

I would not consider a guild for raiding that only had voice chat, because it shows me that the leadership only cares about the members, who are online at the same time as themselves. If they adding to that do not make calendar invites for raiding in a timely manner, I would consider them very disorganized.

Timeliness would be a major dealbreaker for me if I were to raid again, my life is fast getting too short to spend it waiting around for the last slackers, who obviously do not give a damn about me and the rest of the team. I do not mind 30 wipes and raid leaders taking time explaining strategy to newcomers, but I do mind waiting 30 minutes for the last 5 people to arrive to start raiding at all.

Yes, guild websites are mastadonts and sometimes there is a need to make it a requirement to use it, depending on how big or ambitious the guild is. Naturally it would be so much more awesome to be able to use something ingame as efficiently, so everything named guild is accessable directly.

I would like to see a game that implements guild/circle forums and a more customized communication in game - with mobile app support for staying in touch out of game too, maybe even accessable for players not currently subscribing to the game, since it could be the tease to get them back.

But a guild without some sort of official forum/hangout/offgame communication and information, I would not consider it worth my time.
  14. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

I agree, a small guild can use facebook groups, google hangouts, whatever, as long as they do not spread it over multiple places without updating each and every one of them.
  15. tr1age

tr1age Cupcake

I will say this. A website is good if your motto is like mine and my communities (shameless plug):

"A Community That OUTLASTS Release Dates"
    It is really that simple to us, we play lots of games, we have jobs, games come and go, and sometimes,God forbid, we don't want to login; there is always a place for us to chill out, talk to each other when we can't access Mumble or in game chat, play forum games, shoot the _ _ _ _, talk about our lives, post boobs or moobies, we cater to all tastes haha.

Anyway the idea behind our website is simple, a game doesn't make the relationships, WE do.

You can check it out if you want to see all the mottos and read our WTF are we page at: http://alttabme.com

We have had quite some time to really define why the website is important to us. As well we love to iterate as the games change and the ways we communicate do too!

I will say this however, if you are a smaller community I suggest a facebook page or a google hangout. A website is work. You have to constantly iterate and keep it a fun, modern, updated place to be, just like the games you play. And it can be a royal pain in the ass haha.
  16. Yorobashi

Yorobashi Cupcake

My guild is the same way honestly. Almost none of them can be bothered with a guild website unless they need information on something from it. We do store information on raid encounters, best raiding builds for a class, so on and so forth, but we've never been much of a community that COMMUNICATES through our websites.
  17. Alverad

Alverad Well-Known Cupcake

Websites are a great place to get to know people closer, post pics, get a bit more up close and personal then you do ingame, showcase things that aren't necessarily game related, share info, resources, introduce your community to a wider audience. Forums are also a great place for debates, sometimes not so friendly; but allowing members to voice their concerns/opinions without taking it into the game, where you really just should have fun.

It really all depends what you expect from your guild. But if you happen to be social by nature, like me (!), it's really a must. It's like having a cookie within reach and not eating it...some people don't care for cookies, that doesn't change the fact they are awesome ;)
  18. Steelheart

Steelheart Cupcake

Websites are great community builders. They allow your members to interact with each other beyond just gaming.
  19. Purple Rose

Purple Rose Cupcake-About-Town

Dunno.
    For what type of guild we are talking about?
    For a casual/friendly guild i think a TS3 server is enough with people that like to communicate outside of game to share skype/msn and staff like that.Nowdays most mmorp'g provide all infos needed from in game or with an armory search.
    For hardcore raiding i cant speak really cause i last time i was hardcore raider there wasnt enjin or guildlaunch around.But for those guilds ok.

I was always in guilds with 25-30 members.I was never someone that liked big communities and this is why i dont find the idea of a website mandatory.
    Those years i manage to keep in my skype or in my life i can say so 2 people.Those people are now considered my friends.
  20. Calsic

Calsic Cupcake-About-Town

I depends on the type of guild and the type of members. If you've got a lot of working adults and/or a fairly structured guild I can't see how you could get by without a website.

Personally, I wouldn't join a guild without a one. I mostly use my mic when I'm raiding, grouped, or in pvp, but not otherwise. Those guilds who put "If you're in game, you're in teamspeak with the guild!" in their rules section get an automatic rejection from me.