1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Guild Websites

Discussion in 'Guilds, Circles and Warparties General' started by Sabre070, Apr 16, 2013.

1. Ico

Ico Moderator • WSC's Gentle Flower

That's a fair point, I feel differently about it though as having members on voice comms just chatting is part of building a great community. Sure don't impose it as a rule, but definitely encourage it, otherwise people won't feel as connected and may just disappear over time.
  2. Sabre070

Sabre070 Cupcake-About-Town

Well my guild isn't "If you're in game, you're in teamspeak with the guild!" it's more of a "come into teamspeak when you want to chat with the guildies". I mean if we're playing together then we expect you to come in, but if you've had a bad day and just want to go muck around by yourself then that's fine too.

We may ask you to come into teamspeak but it's definitely not forced upon you.

This would probably be different in more hardcore guilds - if you're primary focus is raiding for competitive pvp then you'd want everyone to be on comms as much as possible, if only to get used to their voice. Can help so much if you can instantly recognise who is saying what.
  3. Screenager

Screenager Cupcake-About-Town

From a personal pov teamspeak or voice comms is a great tool and I treat it as such. Your website as well as a social forum that can be used out of game i a fantastic advertising tool to show everything from member base, to activity to longevity. Its your public face to the world and says a lot about who you are and how you run your guild. It doesnt need to split your community across another platform at all and it can only benefit you if used in the right way :)
  4. Skean

Skean Cupcake

Half way between hell and the state of confusion.
    For my, the easiest answer is 'Why not?'. Utilize what ever tools works for you. Some use sites for keeping in touch, some use it to update raid times. Maybe keep track of loot if you use a DKP system. No tool is better then another IMO.
  5. Classix

Classix Cupcake

Heh, we have a similar rule for the LG vent. Though its my belief that its only used to gauge activity level by LG and not Terminus it self. I mean we'll have an in game interface to tell who's online, and while its nice to chat with your guildies its not always nessicary when your doing a quest 15 levels above them. So our leader tells us to still do it, but we can mute it and use other services. (Loophole!)

I don't think a website is needed for a successful guild but I don't think it hurts, it has value for the guild. Right now we still don't have our website up because we held a competition between the web designers from our guild and LG. (We had the better website concept, but they had the better logo. Tie game) The only thing I see the website is going to help us for is promotional uses and directing applicants to the forums. Were they can read our novel of regulations! (legal mobo-jumbo to cover our asses).
  6. Freelancer

Freelancer Cupcake-About-Town

A website can be a lot of things, but for us, it's a "tool" more than a social hub. I highly recommend others designing their sites around the idea that once the game comes out, you want your members spending more time *in* game than outside.
  7. Eight8Eight

Eight8Eight Cupcake

In my community we have talked about several other things than just the game. Also a Website allows for you to progress past the game. If the game dies the community does not. Some people like to play the game others like a social experience.
  8. Fish

Fish New Cupcake

For a casual guild with 20ish people, I see no need for a website. Certain people do expect a website though, so you'll lose out of recruitment there.

My personal opinion is that I wouldn't even consider joining a guild without a website of some form. But I'm weird about that stuff... I have a hard time even looking at guilds with guildlaunch websites, as a serious guild. It's not expensive, or difficult, to setup a proper domain with PHPBB or something. :p Your website is what your guild's community is based around. Not only does it give you a way to communicate out of game (as so many people in this post have outlined), but it also gives you a way to build relationships with members.

The last guild I ran had a VERY active website (we had around 10,000 posts in the first 4 months of going live). Some of the people in that guild are people who I consider good friends to this day. Even though I don't play that particular game very much anymore, I stay in touch with them and play other games with (and they will probably join my in Wildstar). Without that site to get to know each other, we would have simply been faceless characters that logged in to the same guild chat text and nothing more.
  9. Wardin Novascrub

Wardin Novascrub New Cupcake

I have to agree that it's about what you are trying to accomplish. Smallish casual guilds probably gain very little. But If you're trying to keep a 80-100 member guild informed about 40 man raiding schedules, 20 mans, what lockouts the guild is reserving, PvP, current recruiting efforts, vacations, etc, no amount of communication is enough. Not everyone will use the site, or twitter, or mumble, or (god forbid) facebook. You have to meet people where they are, and do all of them... its all about shots on goal.
  10. kur1

kur1 Cupcake-About-Town

Broken down to its fundamentals, a guild website accomplishes the following:
    • Recruitment - What's needed, what's not, and applying.
    • Guild Application - Directing prospective members to an application form.
    • Guild PR - Killshots, kill movies, endgame progress (or upcoming social events if not raiding/PVP).
    • Forums - For member discussion, storing/discussing applications.
    • DKP/EPGP/Loot Spreadsheet - If you raid and use a point system for loot, best to have it accessible via the website for tracking unless it's all available in-game via an addon or tool.
    Any more than that is superfluous and is probably unnecessary. Only add things as demanded by the majority of your guildmates, or listen to their complaints and see if website plugins meet their needs. Complex websites often scare away people from using them, which is counter-productive if you're trying to get people on it.
  11. kur1

kur1 Cupcake-About-Town

This is exactly the kitchen-sink approach to guild websites that scares people away. Members see a bunch of things that don't apply to them whatsoever, recruits get confused by 400 features scattered across the page from TeamSpeak to Server Status to Blogs to Social Media (you have a website, why would you also be pushing a Facebook page?), and it's just gobs of features nobody asked for but 'look cool'.

Do people really need character dolls? Do you really need a roster on the page (they'll just visit the WS Armory)? Do you need profiles, a blog AND news section, patch notes, recent in-game drops, IRC, etc.?

You might be a community that's 500+ strong and therefore have people demanding and actively using all these features, and if so, you might be doing right by your members by meeting their demands. However, you're making your website a jack-of-all-trades amalgamation of features, when there's arguably standalone websites with smart developers that could deliver each 'feature' on your list better.

• Blog? There'll be a Wildstar Insider, I guarantee it.
    • Patch Notes? MMO-Champion for WS is in the making, no question about it.
    • Character dolls, achievement stream, loot drops? WS will be making an armory- it's practically expected of games at this point.
    • IRC? Do you expect people to be logged out / interacting out-of-game to that high of an extent?
    • Crafting Information? Why would someone need this out-of-game?

That means stripping down your website to its core community and guild-growing features, meaning member interaction and recruitment.

You have a really sleek-looking website with the fundamentals of something good. It'd suck to see it stuffed up with all these tacked-on extras that clutter it up.