1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Handling loot between two guilds

Discussion in 'Guilds, Circles and Warparties General' started by Cretz, Jun 4, 2013.

1. Cretz

Cretz Cupcake

Back in the earlier days of WoW I remember being in a guild that would jointly run 40 man raids with another guild. Things ran pretty smoothly, drama free, for a while. Eventually the arrangement fell apart, and I don't remember over what, it may have had something to do with loot distribution.

I am strongly considering starting my own guild but really don't want to make it a 40 man guild, so my options are to either raid with another guild as a benchwarmer (usually both guilds have issues with this, the hosting guild always views the fill as an outsider and not deserving of loot) or run 40 man content jointly with another guild.

Are there ways to make the joint raid setup work, and be fair to both parties? As much as I'd hate using DKP (I've always prefered raiding with a small guild and just letting everyone agree on loot - it works very well once you find a good group of people to play with who aren't greedy and are level headed) or ...loot concil...I may not be able to experience raids in Wildstar.
  2. Alverad

Alverad Well-Known Cupcake

We've done joined runs in the past as well, and we had a rather simple system. We used EPGP, the other guild had a custom made system. First piece of loot, we'd have a roll between two people, one from each guild (chosen based on their respective priority) However, if guild A got a piece of gear, then next drop was without a roll for guild B's highest priority member. Then back to roll for the following, and so on. Loot was alternated between our guilds on per piece bases, and both our loot systems could co-function without issues. We didn't need to keep track of anything, it was quick and smooth.

Loot is really only an issue in guilds without a trasparent system. It doesn't matter what your prefered method of distribution is, you can hold a dancing competition in between bosses if you like; as long as members know, upon joining, this is how you handle the matter :D
    Androssi and Silvers like this.
  3. Freelancer

Freelancer Cupcake-About-Town

In our experience in the past (wow raiding) we auctioned out spots on raids we classified as "farm mode". Essentially we scheduled 3-5 raids for the next week, and players and small guilds on the server would "bid" on the spot in the raid, led by us. Usually it was a 5-man or 10-man slot for said guild or players.

Their bid would include a "guarantee" for one specific item per boss, should it drop. Winning bidders were not required to be a major part of the raid (farm status was a term we used for raids we could do without a full complement of players).

Before you criticize it, know that it was immensely popular on our server. It gave chances for high-end 40 man raid gear to individuals who otherwise would never get a chance. We were thanked often for giving those players and small guilds a chance to not only get some great items, but have a ton of fun.

I'm not suggesting this system will certainly work for you, but this is our experience with dealing with other smaller guilds.
    Androssi and Xlugon Pyro like this.
  4. moosh

moosh New Cupcake

Well thats selling gear, ive been there aswell but that wont work with merging guilds, in progression raiding.
    We used council and dkp back in vanilla when i raided with 3 guilds merged into 1 raid.
  5. Soylentgreen

Soylentgreen Well-Known Cupcake

Honestly in my opinion the best way to deal with this is if you can't field 40 players for 40 man raids then merging with another guild rather than trying to run a partnership is better. It may be a blow to pride to have to do this but it saves loot hassles and who does what more when you unite under one banner. Of course you have to pick and choose who you'd want to take that approach with and most guilds are gonna just want to eat you, so flexibility is key on both sides.
  6. Veckna

Veckna Well-Known Cupcake

Completely agree with this - in WoW TBC we'd help out other guilds with gem crafting/recipes/enchants from content they hadn't/couldn't do yet (raids/attunements/heroics etc). Also taking specific members along on farm raids to gear them up to help their guild with content (MTs usually but all sorts over the course of TBC).
    Farming the Amani warbear mounts from Zul'Aman was also a good way to pay for raid consumables/guild expenses (we'd take in someone who bid for the mount and they would just afk at the entrance/near the boss until they needed to loot it).
    Aside from some few rival guild officers we had a pretty amazing relationship with the entire server.

Unfortunately I haven't seen that in my guilds since then, maybe because the 'gap' between competing guilds wasn't as large.

Edit: I doubt we'll see it much from competitive guilds in Wildstar though due to the leaderboard - essentially you'd be trading rankings for helping randoms by giving them raid spots. Unless there's alt raids or stuff like that where you don't have to go for your top performance each week.
  7. Bolt

Bolt Cupcake

This.

Anytime there are 2 parties involved, there is always some underlying tension of a "us vs them" mentality. Usually this just sits dormant until a catalyst of some sort reveals itself, and people feel "required" to choose sides in a dispute.

However, if one of the organizations can't successfully check their ego it won't really work either. You can't have the two previous guild leaders butting heads the entire time, either.
  8. Cretz

Cretz Cupcake

Not really a matter of being able to find 40 people, but the desire of organizing and appeasing 40 people. I've had a lot more positive experiences in smaller guilds, but would like to still experience 40 man content. What I fear will happen is after a few months of either jointly raiding with another guild or having everyone do their own thing for raids & PUG with another guild, people will want more of that content and choose to leave - which is fine I guess. If I make it clear that my guild isn't a raiding guild and they join knowing full well not to expect weekly scheduled raiding, then change their minds in the future, it's their prerogative. I just really hope raid content will be added for smaller groups. I'd be fine with scaled down versions for 20 people, or new dungeons specifically made for 20.
  9. Ico

Ico Moderator • WSC's Gentle Flower

The fairest way I've ever seen guild partnerships work, in terms of raid loot anyhoo, is to just have a round robin on which guild takes the item, then allow that guild internally selected it's recipient. Of course if you've got a anything other than a 20/20 split you need to figure out how many consecutive items a guild gets before it swaps (so a 30/10 split would see guild A get 3 items to every one of guild B's). Keep strictly to that rule and things will stay simple and fair.
  10. Soylentgreen

Soylentgreen Well-Known Cupcake

Well it depends on how seriously you want to raid but in my experience a joint raid will never be as good as a single guild raid team can be. I think there is a big opportunity here with circles in the game as well to have your preferred smaller social environment in a circle and then be a part of a larger raiding guild as well.

Hardcore or not being in a single guild that can field all spots and is halfway decent will save you an immense amount of headaches. Also it should be pointed out that there are in fact 20 man raids planned for launch they won't be scaled down versions of 40 mans they will be completely separate instances.
  11. Cretz

Cretz Cupcake

Ah, I wasn't aware there were 20 man raids planned for launch. That's good, I suppose. While hardcore raiding guilds are focusing on progression in 40 man raids I can tailor my guild to enjoy 20 mans, warfronts, world pvp, and other group oriented activities.
  12. Alex Moore

Alex Moore New Cupcake

It's going to matter how many people from each guild are participating during the raid. Assuming a 20/20 split, you really only need a system to grant which guild gets which items. Then each guild can have whatever system they want to decide who in their ranks gets the item. I wouldn't want to over complicate the system. Split the loot 50/50, take turns picking which item you want. (Two items drop, guild A picks first, guild B picks first next boss). Maybe have certain added rules to make sure weapons are fairly passed around.