1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Hardcore Servers Plea!

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Serah Wint, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Serah Wint

Serah Wint New Cupcake

Edit: Yes i am aware of the problem with the name "Hardcore", and that it is not entirely appropriate for what we are discussing here.

--------------------
    Regarding the controversy on cross server LFG functions and its affects on the community.
    Please give us the option for a hardcore/oldstyle server!

This would involve server side only LFG function and server side only PVP functions.

Personally i remember the good old days of World of Warcraft(before crappy expansion packs!),
    when you knew the people you where raiding, questing, dungeon running and fighting in PVP.
    It creates a special sort of community, and granted it won't be for everyone.

But the hardcore/oldstyle servers solve this issue. If you want to play casually, play on a normal server.
    This way the different player styles won't interfere with each other.

Ps. Reguarding the "Option" for a server side only LFG function that is a toggle in the menu.
    This won't adress the possible problem that might occur. You need to make people commit to their decision when choosing playing style, otherwise the community will gravitate towards convenience.
    And if people rally feel like they have made a poor choice, they can always change server
    (could be without a fee once a given time period).

--------------------------------------
    Edit: I feel i need to add a few points to the conversation after reading the response.
    The point is not to make a "harder" gamestyle, but a different playstyle, and foster a different tighter community.

And as an additional, conveniance is not always a good thing, just think for a second on that fact.
    A game is meant to challange us as players, otherwise whats the point of the exersize?
    I feel that this is a crucial point where the developers has to make a hard choice not to cater to what seems like the diplomatic way out. This is where World of Warcraft lost its glamour.
    Please don't repeat the same mistakes.

Glacius likes this.
  2. Bisqquit

Bisqquit "That" Cupcake

That's not a hardcore server, just a more limited one.

Phakz likes this.
  3. Lethality

Lethality "That" Cupcake

4. Serah Wint

Serah Wint New Cupcake

5. Serah Wint

Serah Wint New Cupcake

Yes but those limitations form the community!
    Thats what all this is about.

And if you don't want to play on a hardcore server, no one is forcing you to.

6. Bisqquit

Bisqquit "That" Cupcake

I'm not saying those limitations are a bad thing. I actively supported server only LFG and more importantly PvP as a way to build community.

I may be arguing semantics but it's not a hardcore server. Hardcore server means full pvp, corpse looting, no guard presence and possible perma-death. See AOC's Blood & Glory server ruleset for reference.

7. Serah Wint

Serah Wint New Cupcake

Right... yeah i get what you are saying.
    People might get the wrong idea, because they associate with the classic idea of what a hardcore server is about.
    But as you say, thats semantics. And ultimately up to the developers to decide.

8. Bisqquit

Bisqquit "That" Cupcake

I totally agree with your original point OP. And I'd love to see some form of what I mentioned. Fact is, they compromised with the tickbox Lethality mentioned. Which I think the RP servers will embrace. Everyone else will choose the path of least resistance.

9. Teri

Teri New Cupcake

I would like a hardcore PVE and PVP server too.
    - more ressouces needed for craft
    - xp penality on death
    - Servers where you have to solve long and complex quests chains to just be able to enter a raid
    - end game Items becoming rare again

10. Kalmander

Kalmander Well-Known Cupcake

Well, why stop there? If we have a xenophobic server, why not have a girls only server, then a boys only server. A 18+ server, a seniors server, a no-expansions server, a no raiding server, a 1 faction server....

/sarcasm off

The problem with this is that it breaks up the community even more. We are already breaking it up with 2 factions, with PVE and PVP server, and now break it up even more? While this may have worked in a game as large as WoW, if this game does not get to the same levels of population, then we'll have big problems. People will them complain about empty servers...

So no, I do not think it is a good idea to break up the community even more.

Zilvoran, Bonezz and Chomag like this.
  11. Chaii

Chaii Cupcake

Someone should change the topic title to "Familiar servers pls!". Hardcore is the wrong word.

Rakkis likes this.
  12. Chomag

Chomag Cupcake-About-Town

I want a super hardcore server, with crappy graphics as well. We can call this server Runescape.

13. Bisqquit

Bisqquit "That" Cupcake

You clearly don't know what xenophobia is. Look it up, expand your horizons.

As to your point about breaking up communities, I heartily disagree. Having a hardcore ruleset server gives people choice. Sure, I wouldn't have my main there but I'd roll a character for funsies and I'd imagine a lot of other players would too.

14. Kalmander

Kalmander Well-Known Cupcake

Thanks for the response, and I do know what xenophobic means. And in a weird and twisted way, it fits exactly with many of the reasons why people do not like x-servers features.

The problem with many choices comes down to the amount of people we get in the game. If we get very few people and 10 different choices, then the servers will be empty. If we get the same amount of people, but only 2 different type of servers, then they will have more people. MMO success/failures is in great part due to the community. We need people in the server to even establish a community.

So I'm not against the idea of more type of servers, but it's not something that should be done at the start. If I was Carbine, and after 6 months I still have 2M people in the game, and 20K of them want a new server type, then I would make the new server type there, and open up free transfers. But it's not something I would do from the start.

15. FlamingRuby

FlamingRuby Cupcake-About-Town

A two shifts game is not welcome!
    Carbine will publish an awesome game.
    Some features we may not like and we can avoid them(Like me using flying mounts all time).
    Having a game with many different types is not good and is not welcome.

16. Zinn

Zinn Cupcake-About-Town

I would play on a hardcore server but I would like to add a few rules

1. All mobs would be elite and all elites would become super elite.. There would be no soloing. Everything would be group.
    2. Exp would be nerfed. Leveling would take a minimum of 50+ days played to cap.
    3. Any exploiting would mean a long term ban form this server.
    4. Severe Death Penalty I rally do miss corpse runs.

If your going to do a hardcore server then isn't group content, long leveling and grind what helped make old school games what they were? Group content only forced people to group, made reputation matter and forced players to team up and create bonds. Long leveling made levels actually meaningful. Actual death penalties to rewarded and encouraged good play and reputation. I recall running into two players shortly after EQ1's release. They told me they had been level 16 for two months because they kept dying. After playing with them a few minutes I found out why. They would aggro everything and then die. Playing smarter and intelligently should matter and people should be afraid of death.

17. FlamingRuby

FlamingRuby Cupcake-About-Town

So you want to play a Lineage 2 Wildstar?

18. Zinn

Zinn Cupcake-About-Town

I would prefer more EQ1 (at release) type rules than L2. I offered my rules as we we are talking about a hardcore server. I am not sure how a server can be hardcore without a long leveling curve, severe death penalties and group only content. Or at the very least much great XP from group content.

19. Serah Wint

Serah Wint New Cupcake

Updated my original post.

20. kiri

kiri Cupcake-About-Town

I don't think "hardcore" is the right term for that kind of server (I'd say, "off-the-grid"), but I'd LOVE a single alternative server that did not have x-realm LFG.

I think the in-realm checkbox is a nice gesture but ultimately it isn't going to solve anything on the community level. When everyone around you is playing the game like a lobby-game, the whole attitude of the server changes (see pre and post LFG-wow), whether you are using the tool or not. I almost never used LFG in wow (didn't get my perky pug until pandaria) and mostly only grouped with my guild, but the community and atmosphere of the game was fundamentally changed.

One of the carbine blog posts touches on novel server types, so they are definitely open to the idea of including non-traditional servers. Given how split the community is on the LFG topic, I think trying out a new server type would be a great move. Everyone gets to enjoy the game the way they want, and to be surrounded with a server full of other people who share their playstyle.