1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Having a hard time picking a faction: need help...

Discussion in 'WildStar Races' started by Destian, Nov 21, 2013.

1. Thordran

Thordran Cupcake-About-Town

I had some trouble trying to figure out what I wanted to play originally as well for similar reasons.

But then I remembered what happened when I played Warcraft for 5 years. Both factions had good people, bros and girlbros (if that's a thing) and awesome players, as well as creeps, lunatics and horrible people.

I thought alliance chat was dumb in some places until I saw barrens chat and realized that there was no "mature" faction.

Although I pretty quickly settled with Alliance in Warcraft, I realized after a bit of experimenting that good/bad/weird/pervert/insane types tend to end up on each faction pretty equally.

Part of my reason for eventually picking alliance was that they had dwarves. Always pick the team with dwarves to increase the odds of finding cool people to play with. In Wildstar, I think Granok are most dwarf like, and are attracting the same people that I played with who liked dwarves, so I figure I will find the most awesome gaming bros on team Exile.

YMMV of course. :)
  2. Elloa

Elloa Cupcake

I'd say: look for a guild first and then make your choice.

If I wasn't in a guild I suppose i'd have prefered Exile (I prefer the Rebel kind than the Emperial kind), but my guild is going Dominion and so I'd be. It's fine, really. There is nice races on both side. Instead of being an Aurin, I'd be a Draken.

Concerning Tera, I disagree. Elin was part of what made this game awesome. I know they were really creepy otaku, but not everyone that played an Elin was creepy. Who would resist to play a little girl with cute dresses and squirrel tail, really :D
  3. Nunizillion

Nunizillion New Cupcake

Play both factions mate! best of both worlds! (unless your not an altaholic like myself)
  4. FelixAkuma

FelixAkuma Cupcake-About-Town

Just because you're an altoholic dosn't mean you have to play both sides.. Ew.. Exiles for life~!
  5. Satarn

Satarn Cupcake-About-Town

I doubt the people you're talking about will be very noticeable in Wildstar. Most is probably getting far more excited about Blade&Soul because of lyns and it generally being more "pretty". The art style in W* will scare many TERA players away and lots are actually hating on the game, because they believe it's the reason BnS is still not released in the west.
  6. Destian

Destian Cupcake-About-Town

Yeah, and elins were half of the reason I left Tera. The community it gave rise to was horrifying...

I love the mordesh and granok primarily, so while I'm slightly leery on the aurins, I'm just too much in love with those two races.

And oh GOD the male mordesh spellslingers look awesome...
  7. py00q

py00q New Cupcake

Aurin are closer to Miqo'te (FFXIV) than to Elin. At least you'll feel a bit less weaboo'ish as Aurin.
  8. Evgen88

Evgen88 Cupcake-About-Town

You have seen the Aurin, right?
  9. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

Exiles are the only real choice.

Be a man and stick it to the man! No homo, of course.
    Skippy likes this.
  10. Ralphie2449

Ralphie2449 Cupcake

ALL OF THE HOMO :p

i would suggest dominion since it os perceivably the bad faction and most gankers will be there, plus all cool pvpers will be CHUA!!!

So it simply is a choice of either killing or being killed :D
  11. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

I like playing the underdog. Makes outplaying bandwagoning scrubs all the more pleasing. :D
    Skippy likes this.
  12. Felion

Felion Cupcake-About-Town

In every single mmo that I've played, I don't know how many of them now, the free-spirited side is hailed to the moral heights while the cultured and historic side is deemed evil. The rebels get a free pass for their lack of philosophical exploration while the nobles are condemned for the very intellectual conclusions that they're the most proud of. Not to say that the nobles don't have problems, but it's all too distorted: the hero's faults are automatically "inevitable human nature and thus can be forgiven", while the villain's faults are "abomination of all things holy". Is it justice? I think not.

Wartime and peace time are different concepts, a free-lance community without strict and detailed social structure and/or law enforcement is indeed free of shackles for the spirited individuals. But if that community stablizes and grows, without changing its attitude it will certainly crumble into chaos within 2 generations once reaching a certain size, we've seen that in history over and over. Yet no one seem to be giving the current regime any due respect or credit for their effort --- they were once young too, but they've grown and adapted because time have changed, and that survival throughout the years and throughout different stage of social growth is worth our appreciation.

Examples of the mistreated factions/races? Let's start with the high elves in WoW. An intellectual race, elegant, noble, yet the lore aligns such notions directly with arrogance, and exaggerate these arrogance into anti-intellectual decisions. Doesn't make sense right? Well the lore can simply say: exactly, that's how evil and crazy they are. It makes us gamers feel good being the average person and not the highly intellectual magic geniuses, but I question, when intellect and social structure itself is automatically linked with degradation and corruption, when there's nothing in the whole wide world that is worthy of any praise, what do us average people look forward to and upward to when going through our mundane lives? The high elves gets corrupted, turn into blood elves, underwent tragic recent history yet are still portray in game as "power hungry half-villains" --- That's the price they paid for being better in most aspects than most of us, enforced by the lore department. Longevity and sophistication is no longer important, instead the spontaneous and rash decisions made by younger races are simply forgiven or even hailed because they're "young and natural".

That's just one example set in one particular universe. Then there are the immortals overthrown by mortals depicted in countless games, where the immortals are given no credit at all for their wisdom and continued support, instead all were made to sacrifice for the making of a few individual heroes. And yet more are other games following the same pattern: elves in the Elder Scroll series giving way to humans, humankind in Guild Wars 2 giving way to Charr. We're so ready to get rid of the old, to make a dent into the world that seems too "rigid" to us, that we haven't ever had the chance to appreciate their wisdom before cutting them down --- And those wisdom and hence lost forever, such that the new generation will one day inevitably pace into the same destiny.

It used to be that players are simply told to kill bad guys. Kill bandits, kill robbers, kill the people who disturb the security and order of your home. Then, players are made into the bandits and the robbers themselves, overthrowing regimes. It's time for the next step in this evolution: it's time to realize that, structures and orders happen because of very solid reasons, and cannot be simply done away with without intricate planning along with lengthy preparation and execution time. It's time to come back full circle to realize that, there is much beauty within stubborn old-fashioned wisdom, if we only take the time to think about it, and put ourselves into their ancient shoes. It's time to appreciate elegance and poise once again, to embrace the cruel side of the word "society" --- An individual is not a society, and no individual can do anything without affecting some other people in the society in some shape or form. Freedom is a price we pay for a collective prosperity, it's an eternal truth. Without recognizing the darker side of society, without seeing the full picture, one simply cannot be said to have understood "society" at all, never mind building one.

Join the Dominion, join the thousand years of wisdom, be in our shoes and understand the true meaning of "management" and the price that comes with it. The time is now, the Dominion is the new rebel.

(I don't know why I wrote this much, it just happened...)
    Sonntam likes this.
  13. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

I don't know why I didn't think of this until now, but....

From what we've seen, chua mustaches are in!

Unfortunately there are few, if any, body sizing options from what's been stated and shown on videos so far. The very most we might have would be kind of like body type options that Guild Wars 2 has. Even those are pretty doubtful. Full body sliders are becoming kind of uncommon in mmos I think.