1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Healers in wildstar

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Bazeleel, Nov 21, 2013.

1. Trunksword

Trunksword New Cupcake

I'm a little late but I totally agree with you. I do not like the look of two guns and healing people like the Slinger will use, but It's the only class I think I'll enjoy playing as a healer. I really wanted an Esper but as you put it perfectly "I have been disappointed by what we found out about their skillset."
  2. Leiloni

Leiloni Cupcake-About-Town

I don't think they'd pigeonhole one class into not being able to participate in skilled PvP. I mean yea a lot of their skills do have that feeling but they have other skills as well as we've seen, so they'll probably be fine. I just won't be playing an Esper because I find it hard to believe I'd be able to get away with only freeform heals on an Esper and I'd rather not get stuck clicking a UI or clicking players to heal them.
    Trunksword likes this.
  3. calebrus

calebrus Cupcake-About-Town

Exactly.
    Hi. New to the site. First post here.
    I think most of you are ignoring one extremely important point with regards to available options. This is that we can only have 8 skills on our LAS.
    I don't care how many tab targeted vs freeform heals an Esper has. The argument that a freeform Esper has X choices and a targeted Esper has Y choices fails completely. It fails because no matter what those numbers (X vs Y) are, you have to choose which you're going to use on your LAS.
    You're definitely going to need some damage as well as healing, and probably sme utility as well. So even of the freeform Esper only has 2-3 heals to choose from.... he's only going to have 2-3 on his LAS anyway, so who cares if he has less to choose from because he has enough for what he needs.
    Unless you plan on loading your LAS with nothing but heals and contributing absolutely nothing to combat at all other than healing, in which case I think this may not be the game for you in the first place.

As to the discussion about which healer will be "best" I think it's a matter of circumstance.
    If the main tank is a Warrior or an Engineer, I think it will make no difference at all who is healing.
    If the main tank is a Stalker, Medics and especially Espers will almost certainly have an easier time healing than an SS would, but a skilled SS will be able to pull it off just as well, even if it is more difficult for him.

All that aside, I'll be playing either a Medic or SS, because the stationary aspect of the Esper dissuades me. If I wanted to be locked in place while using my skills there are multitudes of games on the market where I could do that. I want to be active and mobile, as this is an action combat game.
    That, and I'm not a big fan of the Esper's style. The animations look quite detailed and have been well designed.... they just don't fit my style at all. So animations that I find unappealing and stationary combat in an action game adds up to me not being interested in Esper at all.
    I will most definitely be rolling an SS to start, with Medic coming as my second or third toon most likely.
  4. Bobdolewins

Bobdolewins New Cupcake

A little late to the party here but I myself will be rolling a Medic. I think it fits my heal style more (I was an operative healer in SWTOR), but I've yet to do the research I need to do before I am fully committed.

A question for those of you who have actually put the time and effort in piecing together things about the healer classes we have, which one will be more HOT/Quick Heal based? I've tried using a few of the build websites to get a grasp on things but without any hands on experience I am failing to understand what I am reading as in terms of their abilities.
  5. calebrus

Note1: these very likely need to be updated for patches and whatnot, but this will give you an idea.
    Note2: as we haven't seen everything these are just my impressions, and may be wrong if the wording is ambiguous.
    Note3: each class has ten support abilities, which I have broekn down as to how they target, and then added HoT and Utility after to show the totals that aren't only a static health boost by appearances.
    Note4: skills that apply to multiple categories (such as HoT/Utility and FF/Targeted/AoE) are listed in each, making the numbers seem unequal in some cases.
    With all that said, according to the builder sites I've found, the healers' support abilities are broken up as such:

Medic:
    Targeted: 3
    Freeform (aimed): 6
    AoE (placed and PB): 1
    ----
    HoT: 4
    Utility/Damage/CC/Other/Etc: 4

Esper:
    Targeted: 5
    Freeform (aimed): 3
    AoE (placed and PB): 2
    ----
    HoT: 4
    Utility/Damage/CC/Other/Etc: 4

Spellslinger:
    Targeted: 2
    Freeform (aimed): 4 or 5 (see below)
    AoE (placed and PB): 3 or 4 (Sustain is either FF or AoE, not sure as its ambiguous)
    ----
    HoT: 2
    Utility/Damage/CC/Other/Etc: 2
    Bobdolewins likes this.
  6. Bobdolewins

Bobdolewins New Cupcake

Awesome! Thanks Calebrus! Seems like Esper and Medic are more of my style.
    calebrus likes this.
  7. calebrus

Esper is going to appeal the most to those players which prefer a more traditional MMO style healing.
    Medic is going to appeal to those players that prefer an up in your face type play. Those looking for a melee healer will enjoy the Medic the most, I think.
    Slinger is going to appeal to those players which want a more active healing style than Esepr offers, but don't want to be directly in the boss' face or in the fray like the Medic requires. Kind of a middle ground between the previous two styles.
  8. Todhaseo

Todhaseo New Cupcake

Either a medic or an esper but Mostly a medic, they oddly remind me of medics from TF2.
  9. Bubbalou

Bubbalou New Cupcake

I'd have to say a Medic from what I've read/watched, but as I have yet to play, this is only a guess...
  10. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

The more I think about it the more I believe that mobility in a healer would be a very important trait in determining how effective a healer would be. The three tankable classes are mobile. The stalker being likely the most mobile of the three. The engineer has their movement speed reduced when attacking, but they can still move. They have to dodge, or interrupt, incoming telegraphs. A good healer should also be able to heal while moving, as if to chase the tank with their own telegraphs.

Likewise, a healer should also think about interrupts. Such as crush and void slip and so on. A healer should take at least one, preferable two of these at higher levels. There are dungeon bosses that have interrupt armor, requiring a couple hits from such abilities to interrupt telegraphs, but in regular encounters these abilities may be best thought of as a damage debuff. A tank may be able to interrupt telegraphs in melee range easier, so a good healer should pay attention to telegraphs from ranged attacks too.
    Bobdolewins likes this.
  11. Cananh

Cananh Cupcake

I only recently caught up on Wildstar. Have been vaguely aware of it for ages but not following it. Disappointment with ESO's very dumbed down healing sent me off to look at alternatives. Wildstar's looks fantastic.

Esper is the current clear favourite to me. I love their theme. Slightly concerned about their being a bit less mobile but not enought to put me off them.

Spellslinger would be my second favourite. Just a matter of personal taste but the gun / magic cowboy thing doesn't appeal to me though their combat mechanics and abilities do. I may try them before settling on an Esper as my main.

Medic is my least favourite. Better than Spellslinger thematically (just for my tastes) but two things put me off them. I don't like the appearance of their fields - at least I think that's what I'm seeing in videos. All those blocks sticking up out of the ground. I was expecting something like forcefield domes / cubes. Other thing is the probe mechanic where you get the most out of them by detonating just before they expire. Sounds more like playing the UI than engaging in combat. Other than that they seem fine.
  12. Cananh

Cananh Cupcake

I just watched one of the adventure playthroughs and was delighted to see Medic fields more like what I thought and wanted to them to be. Maybe they acted negative feedback in relation to their appearance. I don't know. But I know I'm happy with how they look now.
  13. Arkana

Arkana New Cupcake

Do you want mobility as a healer? I recorded my medic as a main healer in Stormtalon. I hope you enjoy the chaos :p

As i always say: "Be a medic if you want run like a chicken".

We are from the Wildstar spanish community. I share this video because its hard to find a main healer medic in this dungeons (a lot of espers always and some spellslinger he).
  14. Cananh

Cananh Cupcake

I was curious to see how the medic, with their shorter ranges, would perform in dungeons like this.

But isn't the NDA still in place?