1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Healing: Self-sufficient or dedicated class?

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by nilihanth, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Tiktak

Tiktak Cupcake-About-Town

The Esper is one of the healing classes!

Looks pretty interesting to me. The only heal we've seen so far is that flag planting ability. Not sure if it's AoE or just 'heals everyone in your party'...
  2. MrTeddy

MrTeddy New Cupcake

Like many said before, having to worry about mob positioning and teammates health would be a huge task for a single player while the rest of the team, the DPS, would just have to press 1-2-3 to deal damage.

But I guess the main issue is that in PvP, if a single class could take a huge beating and still cast powerful healing spells, it would be way overpowered. Think of the protection paladin that would take forever to kill in PvP and the Resto Druid that could out-heal most DPS and live forever... put both together and you've got a class that cannot be killed.

Anyway...
    I'm a big fan of the trinity where each member of the group has a definite task to accomplish which makes the group win. The Tank has to keep the mobs away from the other players ; the Healer has to make sure nobody dies ; the DPS has to kill the ennemies fast enough. If any of the players fail in their role, the group could whipe...It has a feeling of responsability and accomplishment.

In Guild Wars 2, without the Trinity, I felt like I had no role in the group, no impact on the encounter... I would just Dodge - Rez someone - DPS... with a few CC along the way... but I didn't feel like I was an important piece of the group, that I was doing something important to help the other succeed.

I hope you like my answer.
    Keep up the good work :)
    WildZhen and Aheadache like this.
  3. Aheadache

Aheadache Well-Known Cupcake

I can't wait to see how healing classes will be. I think having a mad scientist healer would be awesome. I am a big fan of the trinity and miss my priest from WoW to be honest. I hope there will be a class that’s compatible to the healers of WoW, and I hope they allow them to level without the "holy stuggle" and have a dps line like "shadow priest" or "ele shaman".
    Maddog Charlie likes this.
  4. ZephyrAM

ZephyrAM New Cupcake

I have no real problem with the Holy Trinity used occasionally, so long as it's not in 'all' MMO's. It has worked in the past and allows for some tried and true raiding mechanics.

But developers can do better.

The Holy Trinity should be used as a template, a starting point, from which to expand, not simply copy, accept, and move on with. The more character customization we can get, the better, so long as you start with lots of options and actually have to choose certain ones farther down the line. Make us create a character that's all our own, and do it right, so that we don't all end up choosing the same options anyway because they're clearly 'the best'.

Like healing; two characters of the same class should be able to start out the same and end up very different - with one becoming a dedicated healer as they chose to, and the other ending up as pure dps... or support, or a hybrid there of.

GW2 was not perfect, but it filled a hole in the MMO market that needed to be worked on, if for no other reason then just to show that it could be done. Wildstar is welcome to go back to classes and roles, but that doesn't mean it should get lazy and just takes WoW's system and run with it.
  5. Scooter

Scooter Carbine Studios

We've actually moved around the animations a bit since last you saw them, so that animation isn't for the ability it used to be for. However, I just saw the latest and greatest abilities/animations, and this is really one of the most unique healing experiences I've ever seen. Telegraphs make it super interesting and more active than any type of healing from other games.

I don't want to talk to much about it because it's bound to change over time, but right now the various ways to build a healing Esper are really interesting and unique; I may actually find myself interested in playing a healer for the first time ever.
    Tiktak, Maddog Charlie and Sarcan like this.
  6. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

Ow, you're killing me with this healing experience you talking about!
  7. Dyraele

Dyraele "That" Cupcake

Hmm, since I played mostly healers in other games this has me intrigued. I guess I will have to try it even though I still want a settler first.
  8. Kurik

Kurik Super Cupcake

Sounds like I'll be a healer again. :)
  9. Maddog Charlie

Maddog Charlie Cupcake-About-Town

I think you are my first choice for a healer in Team Fortress buddy, we should call you 'The Doc' from now on :) - Behind every successfull group there is a medal worthy, partially insane, under XP'd, fun loving Doc !
  10. Maddog Charlie

I can tell Scoots is gonna spill the beans if we keep the pressure on ! :) Beta beta beta
  11. Aheadache

Aheadache Well-Known Cupcake

At least get them to come out with a cool video I can watch for a few months until release. I need healing info!!! Really two games I am watching and waiting to see what one has the best healer so I hope Wildstar dose it right :alien:
  12. Manes

Manes Cupcake-About-Town

Don't push Scoots too far...Or they might lock him up again and shoot tazers through the bars.
  13. Teedis

Teedis New Cupcake

Would really love a dedicated healer class. I would also love for that class to be able to be a damage dealer to. One of the big things that actually turned me off of GW2 was the lack of the trinity in dungeons.
  14. Maddog Charlie

Its nice to hear that way of thinking for a change,
    basically though if you choose Dominion you will need to heal (a lot) (may even wanna think about cloning as youre going to be spending a lot of time falling down) but if youre Exile you will be fine bud ;) AND WELCOME to the community :)
    (Disclaimer - do not take anything this man says as serious)
  15. Noa

Noa Cupcake

From what I could understand from the videos and the official comments is that everyone is capable of DPS, everyone is capable of healing/taking care of themselves for a time, but having a dedicated healer REALLY helps in the long run. There are classes in the end, that can be built to fill a specific role and generally they fare better in those roles then say a class that's naturally tanky/dps... y right? Forgive me if I get any of this wrong.

The holy trinity, isn't necessarily a 'bad thing', the only bad thing I have ever heard about is A) having to wait for a specific person to fill a needed role (most notably the tank and/or healer) and B) that generally people don't like to play those classes if all they can do is 'just' that, watching health bars or keeping aggro on themselves constantly which carries more responsibility then say being sure to keep attacking the needed target.
    Darkspur likes this.
  16. Hope

Hope Cupcake-About-Town

Indeed, most group content in GW2 was essentially a massive zergfest.

You need to have defined roles in order to have more interesting and especially more complex boss fight mechanics.
    Darkspur likes this.
  17. arnold

arnold Cupcake-About-Town

I don't find being completely self sufficient to be fun. Sure, having sustain for questing and solo content is good but if you can kill a boss, in a raid, without a healer, that's pretty lame. There are too many buttons to push if the content is hard (read: fun), for that to be viable so if it is possible the content is probably too easy.
    Darkspur likes this.
  18. Patrician

Patrician "That" Cupcake

You know, as Guild Wars 2 was coming out I was a staunch defender of their system. I still am unsure why I was so convinced. Maybe I was just blindsided, or I bought into the hype, but I will freely admit now I MISSED defined roles in group content. I missed being so specialized I was needed. It helped me identify better with my character, and feel a greater sense of attachment to him as well. I think removing that Holy Trinity was just a mistake, and a case of throwing the baby out with the bath water.

If we can all do anything group content just becomes so dull. If I don't need specific experts with me in certain fields, I can just grab any warm body. On paper that sounded great for grouping up, but in practice it made every dungeon encounter go like this:

Ok so what do we do here?
    Well, you spam your abilities whenever they are off cool down, and dodge the boss abilities. Oh and Rez people if they get downed.
    Ok, but what's the strategy?
    Well... Just use your abilities when they are off cool down and dodge-
    Ok, ok...

I mean, there was some group utility with Guardians, but compared to other games there just wasn't enough synergy.

I also think that some people are born to just not pay attention to their health. There is just no way they will EVER do it, and they desperately believe if they wear plate, they should stand there and TAKE it and never dodge away. >.> Those people need our help, for they make such lovely tanks and meat shields! We must protect them! Not throw them to the harsh cruel world and say "heal yourselves!"
    Darkspur likes this.
  19. Wayoverpowered

Wayoverpowered Cupcake-About-Town

I prefer mostly-defined spec roles, with some customization options to hybridize your classes a bit. Making everyone self-sufficient makes for relatively boring combat with no real co-dependence in group situations. Allowing for some hybridization but not making everyone a jack of all trades allows for good, deep characters that you can tailor toward your playstyle, without making there be no purpose for alts at all.
    Darkspur likes this.
  20. Wayoverpowered

Wayoverpowered Cupcake-About-Town

I found GW2's combat system fairly boring due to how self-sufficient everyone was, and the lack of any real "roles", with everyone having some form of basically everything. It was a major downside for the gameplay IMO.
    Patrician and Aheadache like this.