1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Healing: Self-sufficient or dedicated class?

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by nilihanth, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Kurik

Kurik Super Cupcake

That's pretty true but I just enjoy the Mesmer class and their illusions too much. :p
    Patrician and Kataryna like this.
  2. thrastorm7

thrastorm7 Cupcake-About-Town

I love trinity, i think it can make or ruin a game... having a trinity system, allow for better fights design.... i hope that healers will be able to target players and single heal, and ofc some aoe abilities that require no targeting
  3. Fate Flyer

Fate Flyer "That" Cupcake

Does this mean that there won't be a dungeon finder in the game? :cry: I really dislike having to advertise LFG and try and organize a group that way. It seems like the old generation style of MMOs to me. It's so much nicer and more convenient when you're wanting a pickup group to just have a finder pair you up with people after you've chosen your roles for the group. I recently quit WoW to play Guild Wars 2, and that's one thing I really despise about Guild Wars 2.

Anyway, I do like the holy trinity style of gameplay in an MMO, mainly because I seriously enjoy being a healer (and sometimes a tank, and sometimes a DPS, depending on my mood), and I like just having that one role to concentrate on and to perfect. So, I kind of hope that there is a healer class.
    SiegaPlays likes this.
  4. Aheadache

Aheadache Well-Known Cupcake

They have said there will be a dungeon finder(LFG tool of some kind).
  5. Fate Flyer

Fate Flyer "That" Cupcake

Oh, nice!
  6. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

Could mean just a lfg tool to announce that you are looking for group or group member, and I have seen some of those in games, that people routinely do not use, when they can spam (any) chat instead.

I experience that Dungeon Finders have more backing than LFG announcers, so even though those against DF in generel boycot using it, it will still be usefull for those, who dislike sitting in the city to spam chat for a group.

When both fail in implementation, people use (any) chat. So all games that have a high level of lfg chat spam failed in the implementation of a good lfg tool of any kind.
  7. Aheadache

Aheadache Well-Known Cupcake

Right thanks for the correction, LFG tool.
  8. TattooedWalrus

TattooedWalrus Cupcake

Great debate over here on this and there isn't alot I can say that hasn't been said but I do have an opinion.
    I have always appreciated and enjoyed the HT. In fact, I was terrified that W* wouldn't do it because its becoming somewhat rare these days. I think that the assumption is it makes things easier because there becomes no need for commitment. If everyone can do everything it makes the game more accessable right?
    I believe that is wrong personally. I could not stick to gw2. I tried to like it but running away from HT so much actually caused me to hate the game. It doesnt make you special anymore, it doesnt feel like you are the master of your craft. it just feels like you may do the same thing as someone else, just using a staff instead of a sword (for example) and that bothers me.

I love the rigidity of the HT system. Maybe not as hardcore as Black Wolf in that I really like the idea of two roles. tanking and dps or healing and dps. Never at the same time, but having the possibility there is nice for several reasons.

1.) I know that for new MMO players, being hit in the face right off the bat with the choice of "if you choose tank, thats all you can ever do, healing will make you suck at leveling and I know your new to MMOS but hey you better get used to being social or you will never make it past level 5" seems kinda brash to me and might make it tougher for us to get loved ones or other types of gamers to give our genre a try.

2.) I also know that history states a fair amount of MMO players have that "one" character they spend forever playing and though they dabble in alts, they can never get themselves to fully commit to a alt character to level it fully. This has been a problem for me personally simply because I have severe ADHD and after doing something once, I have a tough time doing it again and really enjoying it, it becomes more of a chore. Though I may enjoy new mechanics to a new class, seeing the same things over again is tough for me. End game has never been a problem for me because though boss fights might be the same, the group your with or the possibility of different loot keeps me interested. (side note: I do think the path system will be my savior from my mental battles because it will let me do things new each class)

2.5) Combining with above paragraph, I have played tanks healers and dps in almost all my MMO experiences and the one nice thing I can say is whether it be from the mental issues I deal with or just natural boredom, it has always been nice to be able to respec to dps to either fill a spot for a raid member who became ill, or just to switch things up for pvp. Maybe I wouldnt do as well as pure dps because i was in tanking or healing gear, but it still meant I was a threat to the enemy and I could level a bit quicker if I felt like having some alone time and soloing.

Sorry for the wall of text but I felt like most of it was a worthwhile read so I didnt want to take anything out.. whatcha guys think?
    Psy
  9. Draogon

Draogon Cupcake-About-Town

I'd take dedicated healer over the mess that is GW2 grouping system. Don't get me wrong, i understand the reasoning behind it but nothing beats good old Trinity system imo.
  10. Rumze

Rumze "That" Cupcake

I do enjoy gw2 system of being self sufficient but that being said, I find myself playing a support buffer elementalist as my main. Go figure :p

I've always played a healer or tanking character. Healer in raids, tank for dungeons and quite happily as well. I played them when healers had a hard time soloing anything and still soloed because I just liked healing and buffing others.

So I do miss the holy trinity and will happily play it. I do hope we get a dual spec of some sort though or have the ability to easily respec though.
    Fate Flyer likes this.
  11. TattooedWalrus

TattooedWalrus Cupcake

People will flame the hell outta me for this but I honestly think the perfect "posterchild" for a HT system is to watch a youtube vid of any other MMO in a dungeon, raid, or complicated group encounter WIHOUT a HT system lol. It just looks like a huge clusterf with a bunch of people zerging all over the place. I get the idea and I can respect and appreciate it, but its not for me.
    SiegaPlays likes this.
  12. Taters

Taters Cupcake

In a game with emphasized dodge mechanics positioning is tricky. You will need either everyone healing themselves (GW2) or dedicated healers. I much prefer the dynamic of designated healers. I hope WSO allows for very mobile healers with a mix of targeted and AoE heals all with short cast times.
  13. CantCatchGoonies

CantCatchGoonies New Cupcake

I hope its a GW2 system of everyone healing themselves. People forget you can still be a dedicated healer with a GW2 system.It opens up more possibilities, I mean its bad enough some of the races are pigeon held to a couple classes.
    With the system in place you decide with equipment/team planning which role/strategy you want to fill.
  14. Zee

Zee Cupcake

Since they've said that they are going for the holy trinity system, I doubt there will be a self heal as it is in GW2.
  15. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

Holy trinity has been confirmed, and is tentatively set to 5 group members:

However, if ability picking is flexible cross the two role ability each class have access to, I could see a regular group running with 2 hybrid dps/heal rolers rather than 1 full roled healer - just because that is the way they roll.
  16. Taters

Taters Cupcake

Sounds to me like your Esper will switch gear and switch skill loadout and effectively move from dps to heals. I think you will already have all the abilities, just need to switch your stats to hit the milestones you want.
  17. TattooedWalrus

TattooedWalrus Cupcake

so hopefully this doesnt derail the thread but its a healing question: How do you guys think healing with telegraphs will work in raid groups? For example, we all know in 40 mans and 25 mans, usually healers are designated to groups of five, or to main and off tanks right? so with telegraphs being a huge part of heals, does anyone else wonder how we healers will keep our groups organized to help us keep our groups together for telegraph heals? It just seems that MOST heals may be telegraphs, rather than the AOES in other mmos are usually just a couple abilities we use from time to time.
    What I am saying is I forsee us needing to learn how to communicate and manuver our toons better in raid groups so our healers arent running around like chickens with their heads cut off trying to hit multiple group members wtih our telegraphs hehe.
    Who knows, maybe we wont be designated to heal groups in raids in W*, maybe all healers will have an equal role in just healing whoever comes in your "area" :)

Thoughts on that for dedicated healers?
    Psy
    Elsie likes this.
  18. Taters

Taters Cupcake

Did you ever try healing in Tera? Combination of small-radius AoE, large-radius AoE and lock-on abilities that really helped to combat how much everyone is rolling all over the place. You can modify your abilities with glyphs to buff up your AoE or your single target depending on what you're doing.

Not really a fan of the game but they had some great ideas.
    moneda and Psyvir like this.
  19. TattooedWalrus

TattooedWalrus Cupcake

I played about 2 hours of Tera hehe. But that does sound like some cool ideas. I have no doubt Carbine is figuring it out, just interested to think about what they may do :)
  20. Patrician

Patrician "That" Cupcake

I think it's going to be a mix of telegraphed heals and single target stuff. For example, one of the Esper abilities puts that golden warrior buff on people, that appeared single target. However, players are going to NEED to pay attention and run into the healing areas.

I once had an off-tank tell me he was "too busy" to pay attention to his health and it was my job to keep him healed even when he could have easily run out of a massive AoE and then run back. I'm tired of that mentality with healers. If you can avoid damage, well darn it, just DO it for Pete's sake. Stop DPSing for 2 seconds and use the freaking healing well. Run into the healing spring.

I hope telegraphs as a whole just teach players to be more self aware and environment aware. We'll see if it works ^^