1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Healing: Self-sufficient or dedicated class?

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by nilihanth, Sep 19, 2012.

1. bitbandit

bitbandit Cupcake-About-Town

After a decade spent in various mmos, the idea of a trinity free game seemed too good to be true to me, I've been in gw2 sine launch, and still am. But I've come to realize, dangit i want my roles back! I like to tank,heal and dps, I also like knowing the the people in my party/raid in those roles know exactly what is expected of them, it makes it SO much easier to focus on just your role, when other folks know theirs :D
  2. Slyndria

Slyndria Cupcake-About-Town

I have a feeling, that as the game progresses you will see "dedicated" healers. It is hard to shy away from them in trinity games.
  3. Noa

Noa Cupcake

In the end, I think it's how you pull it off, if you can make the game work fantastically with/without the trinity then awesome! I've played a lot of MMO's out there and I do sometimes miss the 'check list' of the defined roles, you know going down the list with your friends and trying to see who will be this and who will be that to make sure you don't double up on classes? Or is that just me and my friends?

I just hope that they'll make being a tank or being a healer more rewarding then spamming the same three to six buttons and watching aggro/health bars.
  4. Drasas

Drasas Well-Known Cupcake

This is the nature of the trinity. The devs have admitted from the start it's a trinity game so one can expect dedicated healers in the group game. Also, I'd assume the admission of an LFG tool is the proof of the dedicated roles in groups theory. If you could just invite anybody around you for any given encounter an LFG tool isn't that important.

From a healing standpoint they can make the role more enjoyable by focusing on movement/positioning, intelligent use of resources, and a large toolbox of useful abilities to select from. I'd like to see spells that play off other healing spells (Inc. Warcraft reference) Swiftmend/Rejuv, Riptide/Chainheal, (Early Wrath) Infusion of Light/Holy Shock.
  5. Veckna

Veckna Well-Known Cupcake

I loved the GW2 combat system. I played Ele though so I could offer a lot of support/mitigation and healing to the group I played with which made it interesting for me.

I do agree with comments above though that the trinity system is much better when it comes to raiding simply because it allows players more control over the fights (ie a dedicated tank can control mob facing/position). This in turn allows the developers access to more fight mechanics such as instant wipe frontal attacks that only tanks can withstand/block etc.

With a self sufficient system you don't get those moments of 'Oh <REDACTED> you pulled agro from the tank and Vaelestraz turned and one shot half the raid' etc. I felt raid bosses that could do that had a much greater sense of danger/presence than something I'd just kite around/dodge if it turned on me.
    To put it another way I guess I relied on my teammates more in those scenarios which made the fights seem more epic.
    Just a matter of personal taste I guess - hopefully I worded that well enough to get across what I mean.
  6. Ayr

Ayr Cupcake-About-Town

I went from scoffing at Trinity based games like WoW and a having a sense of elitism because of the variety of non-trinity set ups we had in GW. It was very rare to play trinity in GW.

Now after being around the block, I realise there is great worth to be had in having a defined role and doing it well. I'd even go so far as to say I prefer trinity now, but wish there were additional roles. These two at least:

Mana Batteries should be key to larger raids. Best mana battery gameplay I've seen has been 55BiP Necros in GW. That was the most insane thing ever. Shadowpriest in WoW in TBC was pretty good, but a bit tame and didn't really explore self-sacrifice enough.

Scout. Will set up really difficult pulls and move deep into the instance and feedback to the rest of the group. Instances should have randomly generated content that needs careful stealthing to explore. Trapping could be a key part of the pre-pull setup by a scout. I liked the misdirection skill Hunter's had in WoW. Trapping and pre-pull setting up has been done well in a lot of games, just instance design has been so poor in recent years in MMOs this stuff hasn't been needed.
    Aheadache likes this.
  7. Aheadache

Aheadache Well-Known Cupcake

Kinda sounds like controllers from DCUO, they had two roles at once, restore power to the group and control \ debuff mobs. I like the Scout idea you have.
  8. Zee

Zee Cupcake

For a game that wants to have raiding, the easier way is to go with the trinity system. It's a lot harder to design encounters without the defined roles.
  9. Slyndria

Slyndria Cupcake-About-Town

Since the game does have a "talent" system I would assume there will be a pure healing tree for classes like the Esper. I am just curious if Carbine will go as far as having a class that is ONLY a healing / buff class.
  10. Drasas

Drasas Well-Known Cupcake

As much as I'd enjoy that style of class I could have sworn there was an interview where they said that all classes would have multiple roles to select from. Typically Healing/Buffing is considered a single role within the trinity.
  11. Ashiktara

Ashiktara Cupcake

imo i hate the GW2 style. it encourages less group play. Its more of every man for themselves as you Cluster F* your way through a dungeon. I like tight organized groups. I usually heal however i will tank if i need to. I however Despise doing dps. its mind numbingly boring to me. I just dont care for it. I want to sit back and keep everyone alive throwing out my little spells here and there. I love the high stress of healing in a raid. If we had every man for himself in raids.. i think that would go really terribly lol :)