1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Hearthstone discussion

Discussion in 'Gaming Arena' started by Tiberius, Aug 7, 2013.

1. FairyTailisBack

FairyTailisBack Cupcake-About-Town

Well they actually claim it is f2p, which is new.
  2. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Wait...but it is!

Strange day when people think F2P can't be P2W.......

You can PLAY for free (playing and winning are 2 different kind of things)
    You can WIN for money

It's nothing new, and they still use the correct claims/labels etc. Just the perception of the words ''F2P'' by people is way off, and in this case yours aswell.
    Also this is NOT new, go play some Asian F2P games :p you'll notice soon enough.
    Malorak likes this.
  3. FairyTailisBack

FairyTailisBack Cupcake-About-Town

Misnomer for marketing purposes.
    Game is p2w. Which was also denied by blizzard I believe.

If you have the patience to only do your daily quest each day, have no self respect, thus don't mind playing in the wood leagues for eternity, then you can argue the game is f2p.
    So, if you are like a pussified monk, then you can say the game is f2p.

I know what F2p means, which is why I know it is misused by about every game developer on the planet to attract customers. It is a marketing gimmick! Similarly all these game developers deny their game is p2w, as it has a negative connotation associated with it.

All I am saying is that if you plan on trying that game out, then you better go in expecting to dump at least some money on it. Honestly, the game is too cheap to justify the sums necessary to be any good at the game. So it is indeed like other typical card games, except you don't have any physical cards. Blizzard spent a few bucks making each card, yet they actually cost 50% more than physical Magic the gathering cards! So, if you are happy knowingly being ripped off, then go for it!
  4. Tiberius

Tiberius Cupcake-About-Town

While paying does get you more cards the game is by no means P2W. I got every card I needed for my VERY strong constructed deck without spending a penny simply by earning packs through dailies. I even got a legendary, but that doesn't even mean much. The worst claim you can give it is P2HMOTYO (Pay to have more options than your opponent). Since there's such a small deck size, often trying to pick the 'rare and fancy' cards often fills a vital spot that other cheaper, meatier, and free-er cards need to fill.

Most 'P2Wers' claim that legendaries win you games, but in my case they often lose them. The more rare a card is in Hearthstone the more unique it is. They aren't better, just different. Rarity normally does not equal better damage or cheaper. Some of the best cards come with the core base sets that you earn for free. The three straight-up no-gimmick best cards in the game are Chillwillwind Yeti (4/5 for 4), Boudlerfist Ogre (6/7 for 6), and Stormwind Night (6/6 stat boosting minion for 7), all of which are the base set. Booster cards just sometimes give you more utility. I have actually been killed by my own legendary on multiple occasions and there's so much removal and board clear in the game that a good player won't let them exist for more than a turn, unless the card is indirectly buffing them.

I've seen more people lose to base-set decks than anything else. Yes, it takes forever to earn boosters, but if you're a smart card player that shouldn't matter worth a damn.
  5. Malorak

Malorak Cupcake-About-Town

I'll just repeat myself: Card games make you pay? omaigaw wat a surpriz.

Stop being mad about cardgames being p2w if the game even gifts cards to you, no wait, it gifts you a great amount of basic cards AND 10 cards for each class.
  6. Infamouz

Infamouz Well-Known Cupcake

So I thought I'd start a thread about Hearthstone where players can share their decks, tactics and such.

I haven't played the game too much my self yet to actually be able to make to interesting decks but guess I could share my "Win fast lose fast" deck I use at the moment to grind:

My deck's idea is to

A) Zerg enemy fast during the first few turns
    B) Buff small inexpensive minions and gain good damage per turn
    C) Use small inexpensive minions which have additional summon as their battle cry to boost Frostwolf Warlord.
    D) Use Murlocs, to make quick inexpensive damage.

A mage deck

Pros:
    Win fast
    Good defense
    Good attack
    Board dominance

Cons:
    Extremely vulnerable to AoE spells such as Fan of Knifes, Blade Flurry, Arcane Explosion, Flamestrike, Blizzard etc etc.
    Weakness to caster builds
    Weakness to Turtle builds
    Weakness to control cards such as Execute, Polymorph, Assassinate.

The deck is not too strong, and it mainly consists of common cards. Deck's idea is to "Win fast Lose Fast", so you can get maximum amounts of games done, in order to farm gold faster. It uses synchronization of cards such as Frostwolf Warlord, Raid Leader, Direwolf Alpha, Stormwind Champion, Flesh-eating ghoul, Mirror Image, Murloc Oracle in to it's advantage.

I will include the full card list later on, when the Battlenet maintenance is over. I also want to point out that deck is not supposed to be strong nor it is supposed to give you great win ratio. It's only idea is to give you ok win ratio, but very fast games.
  7. Infamouz

Oh, was there HS thread already? Fuuu I just started a new one :p
  8. The8thHammer

The8thHammer New Cupcake

I used a modified version of Force's F2P pally deck. Diamond 1 in less than 20 hours. It relies on swarm, using buffs (might , kings) as removal along with truesilver champion and consecrate. I put in knife jugglers and a windfury card to bait/punish.
    Thinking about getting some silence in there as 80% of the people I play now are priests who inner fire/divine spirit/PWshield one thing and win with it. Close to 75% win rate with this deck.

Blessing of Might x2
    Humility x2 (for trading, turning big guys without taunt into something i can forget)
    Knife Juggler x2 (synergy with all the swarms, typically gets killed early but that puts them out a remove)
    Murloc Tidehunter x2
    Novice Engineer x2
    Ironfur Grizzly x2
    Raid Leader x2
    Razorfen Hunter x2
    Thrallmar Farseer x1 (only have one lolz)
    Truesilver Champion x2
    Blessing of Kings x2
    Consecration x2
    Dragonling Mechanic x2
    Senjin Shieldmasta x2
    Lord of the Arena x1 (made room for farseer)
    Stormwind Champion x2

All free except the jugglers and the farseer, just DE'd all the stuff i got in the free packs.

Mage's are typically the most difficult to deal with with all of their aoe but if they run out they lose pretty quickly. Hunter explosive trap is also a doozy, usually try to bait it out. Druid hero ability can hurt with free trades on your swarmlings. Getting might or kings on a farseer(windfury) can really ruin the game for your opponent. Don't hesitate to use might just to trade out a 2/1 for a blocker!

edit: no clue why the text is that color.
  9. Infamouz

When I get somewhat decent cards, I will definitely take silences in to the deck. Alot of people are starting to play Lightwell priests, and if you do not have early silences to counter that with, you can be in trouble faster than you can say cat.

I actually lost against LW Priest today on the 4th turn (I can't remember my own turns, it was mostly low level minions, as I was S.o.L with card draws):

Enemy was 2nd to play.
    1st turn:
    Enemy used The Coin
    Enemy used Light Well 0/5
    2nd turn:
    Enemy used Power Word: Shield @ Lightwell, LW now has 0/7
    Enemy used Northshire Cleric.
    3rd turn:
    Enemy used Divine Spirit @ Lightwell, LW now has 0/14
    Enemy used Inner Fire @ Lightwell, LW now has 14/14
    Northshire cleric attack enemy hero, I now have 29/30
    Lightwell attack enemy hero, i now have 15/30
    4th turn:
    Northshire cleric attack enemy hero, I now have 14/30
    Lightwell attack enemy hero, I now have 0/30
    Game over.

The healing from Lightwell combined with my attrocious card luck, made me unable to kill neither the Lightwell or the Northshire Cleric.

If I had an early silence, I could had silenced the well and completelly ruin the early / mid game for the opponent. I had no luck getting polymorph either, so there was really nothing I could do.

Ironbeak Owl seems to be the way to deal with that opening.
  10. Yakzan

Yakzan "That" Cupcake

<Mod Monocle> I've merged a few directly related threads into this one, so excuse any confusion that may happen. Also, to avoid more confusion, I've changed the title from "closed beta incoming" to "Hearthstone discussion." I hope I haven't driven anyone mad with these changes. </Mod Monocle>
  11. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

[​IMG]

Anyway Force got around 28 different Decks atm. Some of them are F2P Decks wich you can make without having any legendary/rare cards.

It's nice to check them out, and if possible adjust them to your playing style :up:
  12. Tiberius

If you guys want to share Decks, a really easy way to do it is

1.) Make the deck at "http://www.hearthpwn.com/deckbuilder"
    2.) Save the deck to their server (free)
    3.) Share the perma-link here!

This way anyone can see all the card artworks, game text, flavor text, and stats.
    B00TE likes this.
  13. Infamouz

Yeah I am using F2P decks my self, as I will only buy one deck with money to get the "Special gift for testing the RL$ shop during beta".
  14. B00TE

B00TE Cupcake-About-Town

I'm very happy with my shaman deck right now and it's all stuff that you pretty much have right at the start.

Slowly learning to not play everything right when I have mana for it. Too many minions blown to pieces in one turn because my opponent had a AoE card that took out my low cost units. Always feels good when you successfully guess what your opponent is going to do.
  15. Eternalfootman

Eternalfootman Cupcake-About-Town

Anyone here in the beta? I would be down for a match. @Tiberus : Y ea hearthpwn is awesome. I've made way too many decks on there >_>
  16. Isgu

Isgu Cupcake-About-Town

Ah I found you, thread!
    So I got a key a week ago or something and been playing for a bit, nice little distraction till W* comes along ^^
    If anyone is up for a match or just some chat hit me with a pm and we can set something up! :D

Shaman ftw :D
  17. Eternalfootman

Eternalfootman Cupcake-About-Town

I am reviving this thread. *Revives* Is anyone on WSC in ze Hearthstone beta? I would be up for a game XD. Also, for anyone who has been keeping up with the game, what do you all think of the changes they made to Priest?
  18. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Nothing but deserved in my opinion. I still hope they do something to the warrior though, he needs a little bit more love.

And I do hope they improve the mage her secrets a bit, the secret decks are so weak....it's pathetic.
  19. Tiberius

Yeah, the removal cards were really needed for the priest as before that patch the only way to remove important creatures was to try and buff their own and hope for a relatively even trade. I'm gald they plan on nerfing Mind Control though, because with all the new removal (which has REALLY low mana cost) I have to rely on bigger creatures late game that always just get yoinked by MC.

I think the warrior is pretty strong. My Enrage deck is destroying ladder.

Mage secrets are good, but rely heavily on you building your deck around them. Either fill your deck with Ethereal Arcanists or Secret Keepers to get the mad buffs, or frost spells and armor/immunity secrets to delay until the opponent is in Pyroblast range. If you don't want to heavily commit to that play style then yeah, I'd stay away from them.
  20. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

You know how easy it is to win against those Secret decks???

They don't do anything, it's overall just a weak mage deck! The secrets aren't that good in ladder.
    Or have you seen it the other way around?