1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Helmets

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Mr_Wayne, Apr 26, 2013.

?

Helmet clipping

1. Hide ears/ horns/ other head accessories

22.7%
  2. Have it seem like the helmet/ hood accommodates the ears/ horns/ other head accessories

62.1%
  3. Let them clip through

13.6%
  4. Other ideas (please say in response)

1.5%
  1. Mr_Wayne

Mr_Wayne Cupcake

So, I just wanted to start out and say the races in this game look incredible and cannot freaking wait to play. However, I just started to think about how most of them will wear helmets. Especially Draken, Mechari and Aurin. While it doesnt bug me alot but it does pick at me when horns/ears/ others head pieces clip out when I wear a hood or helmet. Does this bother you? and how should they deal with it?

In my opinion I wouldn't mind the first 2 ideas but prefer for the head accessories to hide when wearing something.
  2. crowsong

crowsong Cupcake-About-Town

3. Vunak

Vunak Cupcake-About-Town

Mat already said there is helmets in the game. They just don't show them very often in screen shots and videos because they feel it is more important to show off race/character facial features.
    Khrusky likes this.
  4. Dwel

Dwel Cupcake

At the 'Late Night Domination' show yesterday, Matt Mocarski mentioned that there will be helmets and that there's also going to be an option to hide it if you want to. He also said that the reason why most screenshots don't show any helmets is because they wanted to show the faces of the characters more at this point.

On-Topic: It would be cool to have special helmets that accommodate ears / horns, though I don't believe it's a viable option to follow in terms of resources. There could be a few specific ones I guess. I'm fine if the helmets just hide the features if the helmets are nice to look at.

Edit: Vunak beat me to the punch :p
  5. Seagrey

Seagrey Cupcake-About-Town

It sounds like we can toggle the visual of the helmet on or off. Nice to have.
  6. Kasabian

Kasabian Cupcake-About-Town

Yep, helmet visibility toggle is in the game.

Personally I like the approach to accommodate for various head types(horns, ears etc). It would be great to see on all of the helmets, but I can see how it would take added effort to edit for each combination. There's probably quite a few combinations, too.
  7. Daynejah

Daynejah Cupcake

Honestly, I genuinely hate it when I equip a helm and the game basically acts like my character is bald. There was a badass hat you got in Rift for recruit a friend and on females it put the hat on your head and wrapped like a hankerchief on the back of your head so it didn't have to deal with your hair :/

This is one thing Tera seemed like it actually started to think about. If you had a long hairstyle and your new armor piece was going to conflict, they allowed the front of the hair to remain the same but the back would be in a hairclip.

For other head accessories I do like it when they are allowed to poke through the helms. Especially with the Aurin poor things shouldn't have to stuff those adorable ears inside of anything!
    Malorak and Calsic like this.
  8. Asch

Asch New Cupcake

I voted for the hide option. However, I only agree with that for ears and beards. I think horns should still clip through the helmets. You can tuck in hair and flesh, but not extended bone and keratin.

Edit: I forgot about Aurin ears. (Sorry, I'm Dominion and selfish). Ok yeah, those ears should clip through. lol

Here are some Draken in helmets, by the way.

[​IMG]
  9. Blaquknite

Blaquknite Cupcake

I said hide because it is easier than making a different model for each horn/hair/ear type (and char creation vids show many drastically different horn styles) I would like a way to look like u have them but I understand the amount of programming, modeling, ect would be too much to expect... but just letting it all clip isnt a great option in my opinion.
  10. Cowboy

Cowboy Cupcake-About-Town

I'm all for helmets/hoods that accommodate ears/horns but I also want this game out as soon as possible. Hopefully this is already something that Carbine intends to have in the game. Otherwise, I don't want to stack on any more work than they already have. At release if horns/ears clip through, I won't be heartbroken.
  11. Naunet

Naunet Well-Known Cupcake

See, when it's done that way, it just looks lazy and like a glitch. The helmets should have actually-modeled ear/horn holes.
  12. Daynejah

Daynejah Cupcake

I agree with this-especially if they aren't giving us height/weight sliders it should (/begins raising pitch of voice because not sure if this makes sense at all) be doable?

But really as long as we don't have eyebrows outside of our helms- I see you night elves... I won't be super annoyed.
  13. Vyver

Vyver "That" Cupcake

That would be great, but considering all the different positions of draken horns it would be impossible to do.
  14. Mr_Wayne

Mr_Wayne Cupcake

Yeah, its definitely not a deal breaker for me, just a nit pick but those draken actually look pretty good. I also don't really like when helmets are stretched and look awful (srry tauren) but I think these races have "humanoid" heads so theyll fit.
    Naunet likes this.
  15. Domichi

Domichi New Cupcake

I've always opted to show my helms whenever given the option. I like to see my toons in all the new gear that I get for them, but yeah it can be pretty annoying when racial features just clip through. I can imagine that it would be a major undertaking to model every piece for headgear for each race. So if it lets the devs focus on more important things, I can just deal with horns and whatnot clipping through my helms.
  16. Skean

Skean Cupcake

Half way between hell and the state of confusion.
    I voted for letting ears and horns through, but like many have said, realistically it would be near impossible to accomplish so clipping through is the most viable option.
    Khrusky likes this.
  17. Soylentgreen

Soylentgreen Well-Known Cupcake

Yeah I don't really see anyway around this other than clipping as I sure don't want my horns to disappear if I have a helmet, though realistically I'll probably hide helmet all the time.
  18. Inimicus

Inimicus Cupcake

I'd like to see something like in Diablo (i know it's not the same situation) where the helmets look different dependent on race (in Diablo its by class)

As helms aren't that important (most people i know turn them off if they have to option) i don't see any issue in each race having a single helm skin that just changes colour or something to match the gear set it belongs to.
    Daynejah likes this.
  19. Jarinolde

Jarinolde Cupcake-About-Town

Twi'leks in Star Wars: The Old Republic had their Lekku clip through hoods and light helmets (though oddly enough not the heavy helmets). For the most part this was fine, though I still think they should of made it so that the Lekku were wrapped around your head and neck (like you see in the movies). Later on they made a change that permanently disabled hoods on all Twi'leks, which completely ruined many outfits players had spent tons of time building up.

Either way, I feel that if you're going to take the time to make a race that has a unique feature (Aurin's ears, Draken's horns), then you better damn well commit to making sure they have modified equipment to conform to those features. Anything short of this shouldn't be tolerated.
    ruff_ethereal likes this.
  20. Jynetik

Jynetik "That" Cupcake

I don't mind some clipping / tucking when it comes to helmets. What I CANNOT STAND is when helmets just flat out remove the hair from your character and have a gap around them which allows you to clearly see your bald head under the helmet. Guild Wars did this constantly and it looked awful!
    Daynejah likes this.