1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Help Save Widow server

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Neralyte, May 16, 2014.

1. Neralyte

Neralyte New Cupcake

Hey everyone,
    Carbine have just anounced that they may be pulling the oceanic tag from the Widow PvP server (or even shutting down the server completely) citing a lack of traffic during open beta.

Link: https://forums.wildstar-online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/47542-oceanic-pvp/

I'm appealing to anyone and everyone, whether you're from the oceanic region or not. Please, login to the Widow server, create a character and spend an hour or two on the server. Please, take the time to follow the link and show your support as well.

Carbine is taking data collected during Open Beta as a sign that there's not enough interest to have the server open. This isn't the case at all! Many oceanic players and guilds already setup shop on the other servers and have designated Widow as their primary server when Wildstar goes live.

Widow only opened at the start of open beta, well after the majority of the oceanic player base had settled in to other servers. Don't let Carbine make the decision to pull a server we fully intend to roll on during live. Login, make a character and show your support for the community, the more people that simply login and play on the server for a few hours during this beta phase goes towards showing Carbine that their data is wrong and to trust in what the community wants.

It doesn't matter if you are oceanic based or not, the server is simply flagged so that new oceanic players have a starting point and don't have to troll through forums in order to find out what servers the majority have rolled on. This server is for everyone and Carbine are considering shutting it down before we even get the chance to use it. Please, unite with us and show your support for Widow.
  2. c4semtex00

c4semtex00 New Cupcake

Everyone should get behind both servers and show your support for the oceanic community
  3. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

Showing support by creating toons wont do any good unless people plan on actually playing on Widow at launch ( especially considering its Pvp), so asking for anyone to start creating toons on there is just going to misrepresent the count and at launch it will be a ghost town.
    The best suggestion would be just to lend support in the thread for the NA+O Label.
  4. Neralyte

Neralyte New Cupcake

Convicted, I fully appreciate where you are coming from and I understand that people may think we are simply trying to skew the data in our favour.

This is not our intention. I, and I believe anyone else involved in this, have no desire to retain a dying server if that is the case. The problem is though, that Carbine are taking data gathered during open beta (less than 2 weeks) for a server that only opened at the start of open beta and claiming that traffic is terrible compared to servers that have been up since the beginning of closed beta. They are basing this decision on numbers that are hardly representative of a fair comparison.

On top of this, because there were no character wipes for open beta, the majority of players and guilds that will be rolling on Widow for live have not done so during beta because it means starting fresh on a character that will be wiped shortly anyway. I know for a fact that despite my guild rerolling on Widow, a large portion of players have barely logged on there during open beta because we still have a functioning and high level guild on Pergo.

What I am asking is for people to show support in an unjust situation, where we may have our server shutdown based on data that is neither relevant nor correct.
  5. Zastra

Zastra New Cupcake

I am from the land down under as well. I understand Carbines need for good numbers on servers to make them viable, I just hope that a workaround can be done to keep oceanic support going with wildstar. even though the server is in the same data center as the rest of the severs.

2 cents
  6. Livnthedream

Livnthedream Super Cupcake

Neralyte, with the sheer number of new characters that have been made since open beta began, its a pretty fair assessment. You can't just say that their numbers are "wrong" when you both haven't seen them nor have the experience that they do to determine these things.

I mean in the Developers Unleashed livestream they said that there were 1.9 million new characters created during that point of the open beta. Even with noticing what server you are on being difficult apparently, surely as being an Aussie the majority would know to look for a chance at better ping right? I mean my gf knows that and she is a complete scrub when it comes to mmo's. The only one she had played previously is The Secret World, which doesn't even have separate servers.
  7. Neralyte

Neralyte New Cupcake

First off, yes plenty of characters were created, but that is across all servers (not equally distributed either). There is also the preconception that oceanic flagged realms are oceanic only which tends to mean less people flock to them in the beginning. Another factor being that new players are automatically assigned to a PvE server and most never realize there are other servers to choose from. finally, the oceanic flagged realms do not offer better ping, they are located in the same place as the rest of the servers so coupled with the fact that open beta characters get wiped meant there was literally no incentive for anyone to reroll on there.

The oceanic PvP community is quite large, you can tell that very simply by check out the official realm forums, there are plenty of guilds recruiting on Widow (but don't currently play beta on Widow). You're idea of a fair assessment is the fact that Carbine are relying on traffic data that doesn't represent in any form, live numbers. To top it off, there was absolutely no transparency in this matter, no one told us that we would lose the server before live if we didn't all reroll and start fresh there. So no, this is not a fair assessment.
  8. Livnthedream

And none of that is going to be similar at launch? Just as the possible lack of an rp pvp server is being harangued over, do you really want a "dead" server?

First off, the bold part is entirely false because the forums are not a good judge of anything as it relates to in game. The forums are nowhere even close to being representative of any population.

As for the rest, even if you all had rerolled, do you honestly think there would have been a difference? Do you really think they don't have the metrics of who is connecting from what ips to make an educated guess of who may roll on that server come launch. You say the oceanic population is huge, yet every single game "neglects" you. Ever wonder why exactly that is? Cause the obvious answer is your community is nowhere near as large as you think it is.
  9. Neralyte

Neralyte New Cupcake

Despite your obvious reservations on this matter I would still invite you to check the post on the forums and see how the community on widow have tackled this.

You can see a very lively discussion on the realm forum. We are past stating this as a bad move on Carbines part and have been actively working to find a solution that suits everyone that may even involve merging the RP group with our server tag to provide a more lively home for everyone.

We are prepared to embrace our available options and move forward with this, we have no intention of sitting and arguing moot points when a solution can be found.
  10. Livnthedream

Yeah, I read all the responses by Cougar, including him flat out stating that even counting for lack of rerolls the interest was scary low. I wish your server success, but there will always be complaints about it regardless.
  11. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

And now Cougar is exploring tagging it Oceanic PvP/NA RP-PvP to make both sets that are complaining and maybe get enough people on the server.
  12. CaRaDaGaiTa

CaRaDaGaiTa Cupcake-About-Town

Delete it and make a south american server! :up: