1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Hop on the MOBA bandwagon

Discussion in 'Gaming Arena' started by Extatica, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Well as most of you guys know there are already 2 major titles in this genre, and some other big titles.

The 2 I consider the biggest:
    DotA (2)
    League of Legends

And now there will be another one:

From Blizzard:

Will this be a possible new Major title for this genre? Or will it fail?

Nonetheless that Muradin looks freaking awesome!!

What's your 2 cents about it?
  2. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

Something tells me Blizzard's endeavor will flop harder than a guy's wang as he accidentally glances at a naked wrinkly old man.

Also, I need to play a MOBA but I have no motivation to get started. :(
    CaRaDaGaiTa likes this.
  3. Inukeu

Inukeu Well-Known Cupcake

well I heard about this freeking ages ago and tbh after the difficulty they had with steam and there dota name stuff they just went quiet I thought they might of scrapped it and hearing its going to be a standalone game now is kinda crappy since I was looking forward to playing it on starcraft 2's arcade instead of the meh moba games we have on there atm

well I guess I will just have to wait and see.... psh :(
  4. Laban

Laban Cupcake-About-Town

Well I doubt Blizzard is going to make anything as complex as Dota, they seem to be more into trying to attract the more casual players judging by their later WoW expansions, Diablo 3 and Hearthstone. And I doubt they'll be able to compete with League of Legends, it's just way too big and established, similar to how WoW has the MMORPG market in a firm grip after all these years. It's probably going to be pretty polished and attract a decent amount of players (Blizzard sure knows how to hype up their games, gotta give 'em that), but I doubt it will find enough space in an already cramped genre, and it's most likely going to be another cash grab like Hearthstone. I have zero confidence in Blizzard making anything decent at all since Activision got involved, and I feel they're a bit too late to the ARTS party.
  5. Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky Well-Known Cupcake

LOL, this game is going to suck but of course Blizzard will make tons of money because of their mindless fanboys. Hopefully, this game isn't lame like other MOBA's out there and has more than 3 maps, LOL.
  6. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

As a expansion for Starcraft I did too, but now I got the news it's an game on it's own.

But i'm with you, that you'll have to see how it turns out...I do somehow hope it can best with those 2 major titles and mayby push some changes into the entire MOBA genre.

But then again, seeing the LOL changes that will come....I only see LOL becomming bigger, they will try to implement a system so it won't be ''Call/take the lane'' anymore which was a huge downside to LOL.

Have you checked Magicka magic wars?

I do feel that, that game CAN (can) be a game were skills pay off more then in some other games.
    Seeing how many spell combo's you can make...if you are really good in it you can get very strong.

But then again...I don't see that game becomming anything big....although I personally like the approuch of the skill combo's.
  7. CaRaDaGaiTa

CaRaDaGaiTa Cupcake-About-Town

ROFL, this game will fail so hard, hahahaha

League of Legends > all mobas
  8. Kiyo

Kiyo Cupcake

I don't like what I've heard of this so far because from a lore point of view... well, there really IS no lore point of view to it when they're just smooshing all their big titles together to produce champions for it. I prefer games that at least try to have some kind of a sensible story behind all the MOBA action. Riot has been producing better stories for their champions lately so I can sort of imagine the world all the League of Legends champions live in, but I'd have a hard time imagining WoW and Starcraft crossing streams.
  9. Tribe

Tribe Well-Known Cupcake

I find LoL more fun to play than the original DoTA, I've yet to play its sequel. But for me DoTA 2 is more enjoyable to watch than LoL, and I watch a lot of LoL. DoTA 2 just feels like it has more depth. The International 3 (DoTA 2 championship) provided a much better viewer experience than LoL's Season 3 World Championship.

When is the last time Blizzard had an actual failure? The Diablo 3 launch? How many millions in profit did D3 make, horrible game that it was? With Blizzcon they already have a venue to showoff the game/have a championship for a captive audience.

Hopefully The Lost Vikings will make an appearance in the game.

I can only recall hearing one concerning thing about Blizzard's MOBA. At one point Blizzard was considering not having a last hit mechanic, and thus lowering the skill cap of the game, I'm not sure if they ultimately decided to go that route or not. At the time that sounded insane to me. But Riot dropped the deny mechanic from DoTA when designing LoL, lowering the skill cap, and that game still provides plenty of challenge. Solo queue terror...
    Motivation wise, you're on your own. But if you ever want to learn to play LoL, I can help you with that.

Better stories, maybe? But Riot set the bar pretty low for their champion backgrounds, what I assume you mean by stories, at least in my opinion.
  10. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

I just need people to drag me in because it's not a genre I would probably start playing on my own. So far I haven't found a group of people long term who enjoyed my company enough to drag me into some of their other hobby games. At some point I'll have to try it out regardless but getting started with people who can help me learn will give me a much better start.
  11. Tribe

Tribe Well-Known Cupcake

I'm not a miracle worker :laugh: but if/when you care to learn, I can offer some assistance.
  12. CaRaDaGaiTa

CaRaDaGaiTa Cupcake-About-Town

Well, the Alliance vs Na'Vi was a <REDACTED>ing final, 3x2 with an amazing last game, while the LoL s3 championship, SK Telecom just stomped Royal easily, so the Dota 2 finals had a better viewer experience because of that.
  13. Tribe

Tribe Well-Known Cupcake

Far from the only reason.

• Valve keeping all games at the same venue, Benaroya Hall > Riot's decision to use three(?) venues for various stages of LOL's championship.
    • Valve housed players in a sound-proof booth for matches, which also served to block player's view of screens* showing the game to the crowd. The lack of such booths allowed the reprobate fans of some teams, one in particular, to warn players when ganks were coming.
    • The established analysis desk at the International 3 was greatly superior to it's first-year counterpart at LoL's Season 3 World Championship.
    • Riot's attempts to cater to a worldwide audience by having matches played at inane times... left a lot to be desired. The tournament should have scheduled all matches for convenient viewing at the local time where the venues were. Alternatively, Riot could have changed the format of the tournament so that teams from the same continents faced each other in the earlier rounds. Later rounds should have been scheduled on local time. And, in the case of this year's final, the last matches could have been scheduled on some neutral period between KST (Korean Standard Time, UTC + 9) and CST (China Standard Time, UTC +8), admittadly easy because of the two teams involved.
    • Fountain Hooking was more fun to watch than anything at the LoL tournament, even √úbermensch Faker's plays.
    *refers to an incident at the Season 2 World Championship
  14. FairyTailisBack

FairyTailisBack Cupcake-About-Town

LoL is old and is ripe to die.

Blizzard could easily take over this genre.
  15. teh_ninjaneer

teh_ninjaneer Cupcake-About-Town

SMITE might be a sort of "transition game" into the MOBA genre for you. It would be a way to learn the basics in a shooter-style setting. In my experience there are a decent amount of players and they are generally more friendly than the typical League member.
    Xlugon Pyro likes this.
  16. FairyTailisBack

FairyTailisBack Cupcake-About-Town

Smite is very similar to WS combat style. This game appears to be similar to League of Legends.
  17. Azzurri

Azzurri Podcaster

Here's what I think about MOBAs, MEH!
  18. AcidBaron

AcidBaron "That" Cupcake

It won't flop due to it being blizzard and it always attracting a large crowd.

Remember, this genre came from a WC3 mod.
    Don't write it off too quickly as the production value will also be high, it doubt it will surpass the top games over night but i do think it will get its own crowd.

Considering it will be F2P i see no reason why not to try this game out.
  19. Inukeu

Inukeu Well-Known Cupcake

DOTA2 is easy to get into....*cough* no it isnt *cough*
    Extatica likes this.
  20. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

*cough* for people with skill it is *cough*

Sorry Inukeu...but you just had that one comming :D But then again i've been playing it since it was ''new'' at WC3 ;) So what do I know?

But the reason I see for this becomming a bigger hit then some people think:

Look at LoL....they have so many champions. I've played it (almost) since the beginning, and i'm not someone who plays a lot so I don't have all champions. But I can imagine that you lose hope when just joining.....cause how would YOU get all those champions so fast???

Some new people would want a new game with new champions that they can follow and not be behind on the rest.