1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Horde syndrome ?

Discussion in 'Gaming Arena' started by Grinndo, May 2, 2013.

1. Thordran

Thordran Cupcake-About-Town

The Alliance in Warcraft was a diverse group of folks that teamed up for a common purpose that was more or less irrelevant around the start of World of Warcraft. Their leadership structure was primarily human guys are running the show with the help of the other races here and there.

The Horde was a group of folks that were bonded together in struggle in order to ensure their own survival, lead by a messianic individual that lead them to the promised land basically. At least at the time of World of Warcraft's lore.

From that standpoint, I'd say that the Exiles share far more of the lore traits of the Horde as of World of Warcraft. Bonded in struggle against an organization that has traditionally oppressed them, led by a figure to the promised land of Nexus. Given that the last race to be revealed on the Exile side may be zombies of some sort, and it's even more apropos.

I'm not sure if one faction is going to be more favored than the other before seeing the other races to be honest. Unless something really strange happens, we might actually see a pretty even split of people in the factions. Exiles are the underdogs and have the fighting for survival vibe, with a couple bad ass races and a cute race, and the Dominion have the whole stylish overwhelming force vibe to them with some bad ass races.

What they need to be careful of is something like how Star Wars the Old Republic was marketed. The Empire was portrayed as immensely powerful, totally cool, and they had an unstoppable Darth Vader type mascot who just wrecked everything in the promotional material, where the Republic wasn't really given anything that was cool in the promotional materials that I ever saw. Because of that, Empire was way more popular and their whole world PvP experiment became a huge joke.

If Wildstar wants to have faction balance, they should hopefully have been paying attention. I think that they have as they've shown that both factions are equally funny and competent in their own way. I don't see anything like I did from Star Wars that made me think "man, everyone's gonna want to play empire in this game". Most of my friends that I've talked to are fairly split over which faction is "coolest" whereas for Star Wars everyone wanted to be Empire, so that's something at least. :)
    Jarinolde, Mudfin, Yermoh and 3 others like this.
  2. Syn

Syn Cupcake

Great point, never thought of it like that.
  3. Yermoh

Yermoh Cupcake

Agreed, from my point of view:

Survivors = Exiles & Horde
    "We must clean these lands" = Dominion & Alliance
    Rakkis and Malorak like this.
  4. Chomag

Chomag Cupcake-About-Town

I hate to be...THAT guy who says this, but that was for good reason: they wanted to hype the game, and when it comes to SW, the coolest character that kids (10-16) like is Darth Vader, not Luke Skywalker, and since the game was mostly aimed at kids, you can understand their choice. They wanted to show THE most attractive things, and did just that.

Besides, in all MMOs, the evil faction is generally a magnet as everyone likes the good...bad guy Snake Plisken, Riddick, the renegade, the rebel, as opposed to the whiny, bland knight in shining armor blathering about friendship and honor.

Few factions in MMOs are shown as truly evil and with no redeeming qualities (ex: Warhammer Online: Destruction faction) and generally those MMOs turn out to suck anyway.
  5. Yinello

Yinello Cupcake-About-Town

Why feel sorry? It's not like I am so gravely wounded by these people or anything that I can't play PVP ever. I'm just aware that PVP Guilds simply aren't going to be all Braveheart-esque - drama will happen and I'm not planning to get mixed up in it. Perhaps I am jaded but I simply expect people to behave immature until they manage to surprise me - which will be a good thing.

I can understand why perhaps you wouldn't like a LoL system - any ideas on how to encourage better attitudes?
  6. Thordran

Thordran Cupcake-About-Town

That is true, I understand why they did it, but if you design a whole planet with the idea of a balanced PvP experience it's not a good idea. Empire had Darth Vader and Boba Fett, which most people that like Star Wars really like. It'd be fine if all they expect is PvE stuff as it doesn't matter where folks end up. But if you have a two faction game designed for PvP and one faction has all the awesome? That's just stupid.

Thankfully, I don't really think that the Exiles in Wildstar are painted as knights in shining armor good guys really. Maybe the bunny people sort of have that vibe, but I don't see Jedi tendencies from the Granok or the Human Exiles. People don't really like playing super pure characters as a rule as they tend to be really boring, so at least they aren't taking that route.
  7. Hallow

Hallow New Cupcake

You guys compare Wildstar factions to WoW, to me, it's more like Firefly.

Independents vs Core worlds.

People who are trying to form their own lives instead of conforming to a centralized empire.

Good and evil are irrelevant, for it is a matter of perspectives.

The Dominion see's themselves as bringing peace and prosperity through domination and subjugation.

The exiles believe they are bringing peace through freedom and coalition.

So those ideals are going clash anyways.

Brown Coats all the way for me, i.e. Exiles!!!!
    Mudfin likes this.
  8. Syberchip

Syberchip Cupcake

It may happen. Only gives more reason for Exiles to KICK ASS!!!!
  9. Screenager

Screenager Cupcake-About-Town

I dont think we are seeing any major favpuritism . Honestly i think itll balance reasonably well
  10. Chomag

It used to be in wow vanilla, tbc and wotlk.

When Cataclysm hit...Hello, well developed and funny horde quests. Hello, fun areas that only horde has (aszshara, hillbsrad foothills). Hello, green Jesus with an entire quest area dedicated to him.

When MoP hit...Hello, major horde insurrection quest event with alliance just tagging along for the ride.

Hello, well fleshed out horde leaders while alliance leaders are bland and boring. Ask a hordie which horde celebrities does he like and Thrall, Vol'Jin, Saurfang and even Sylvanas will definitely come up. Ask an alliance the same and besides Varian Wrynn (the only leader the alliance ever had that people gave a <REDACTED> about) you won't hear any other names.

As I said before, one would have to be a major horde fanboy not to see there is a clear difference in the amount of work being done for each faction.
  11. Witless

Witless "That" Cupcake

I really don't know what you said, but judging by your name and avatar, you must like Dwarfs. That being the case I'm sure what you said was right!

For the DWARFS!!!!!
  12. plic70

plic70 Cupcake-About-Town

But see that's just it. You had to play MoP to get the "good"Horde quest lines/stories. The Alliance had the run of things before MoP. So in actuality, Alliance had more of the lore/story stuff for quite a bit longer. It seems kind of one sided if you are going to compare just the latest expansion, where Horde finally got some awesome quests, they really did, and overlook the fact that the lore of WOW was run by the alliance for years.
  13. Screenager

Screenager Cupcake-About-Town

This isnt wow and the factions in this game well.... Its not wow. I think extrapolating years of issues from one game to another like that might be pushing it a bit?
    Mudfin likes this.
  14. Rumze

Rumze "That" Cupcake

Hes not saying wildstar will be like that, he is discussing what he percieved in wow.

Tha major concern in this thread is that folks dont want to see things like that again and I think that the carbine team will do well in this regard considering their background from early wow, city of heroes and more.

City of heroes was really well done. I cannot praise it more for how certain things were handled.
    Rakkis likes this.
  15. InnocentCivilian

InnocentCivilian "That" Cupcake

Guys, guys!

Need I point out that the guy who makes the lore for this game is a staunch Exile supporter? :p

Now, I'm not trying to say anything....I'm just sayin'...... :p
  16. Chomag

And there you have it, folks. Expecting Exile Jesus.
  17. Rush

Rush Cupcake

It is quite obvious that the Dominion are the bad guys and the Exiles are the good guys. Well, actually, no...each side believes they are right...

Damn ambiguous writing.
  18. InnocentCivilian

InnocentCivilian "That" Cupcake

Emperor Palpatine from Star Wars pretty much believes that he is right, too :p. But the Empire in Star Wars are still very clearly the badguys :p. Sure there may be individuals within it who can be 'good', but the organisation as a whole is pretty clearly in 'badguy' territory :p. Just because both sides believe in what they're doing doesn't mean that the story can't be set up in such a way to make an audience like ourselves take one side to be 'good' and the other as 'evil' :p.

I will posit that at the moment, this is the state of the Dominion. Yes Chad Moore has said that we'll see that the Dominion is more 'morally gray' (and that the Exiles will be too) than we have seen thus far, but for now, I do not feel that we have seen evidence that really supports that. We have some good arguments from the fans, but they are based purely on speculation as opposed to evidence from official lore.

I really, really, REALLY want to see a deep-dive into this aspect of the factions though, which is why I asked Black Wolf if he could broach the question at Arkship :p. I'm still hoping to get more detail on this matter, but I assume that he's not allowed to speak on the matter for the time being. :p
  19. plic70

plic70 Cupcake-About-Town

All of this talk between "good" and "bad" is kind of pointless.

Think about it, the Exiles are running from the Dominion, they are a ragtag bunch, they have more than likely threatened, stole, or ransomed ships, money, fuel, guns, ammo from people. The Dominion is trying to bring order and control to the galaxy, the only information that I can recall on how the Dominion work is from the Exile video. That video was from an Exile bias so of course they would put the Dominion in the "bad" light.

If the Dominion does "farm" planets it is only because the Galactic Empire needs resources to be run. Thus they need to resort to more drastic measures to maintain the good of the Empire. The Exiles will more than likely have the same view point about themselves, they believe that when they steal, cheat, or threaten for resources it is for the good of the Exiles.

Also wasn't it mentioned in the Dominion video that the Eldan chose them to rule the galaxy? Or am I remembering wrong?
  20. Rumze

Rumze "That" Cupcake

Its interesting to see how many ways we can look at a faction which is great . The different interpretations are already showing.

Rag tag bunch doesnt necessarily mean thieves or pirates and farming a planet for resources can be seen from the natives point of view as terrible no matter the need by those doing the farming.

The justifications are already showing and we shall see how it plays out ingame.