How cool would it be to have Streaming Radio/Music in your houses and towns?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Kane Hart, Jun 8, 2013.

1. Kane Hart

Kane Hart New Cupcake

Besides the possible negative effects that can be clearly done with it I think there could be a lot more positive effects from it then negative effects.

Besides that there is one negative effect that I am slightly worried about and that might be people using it to grab more information from players. What I'm basically saying is it could be used to easily grab the players IP. Now in 2013 not a big deal but there are the few who will do anything to harass someone and this could lead up to some nasty doors.

Besides the negative issues that could or might happen it was one the greatest additions to Second Life. One of the better additions to Anarchy Online even though was not built in it was one that had brought the community together and this was more at a time when third party things to a game were not all that uncommon especially AO.

Pretty much you can place a Radio, Or maybe some kind of DJ Booth down and type a url and boom you are done. You would on your land or within the town have the music playing. Not only that could be used for more fun things like the Town is Under Attack Alert Alert and setup your own alert system for fun or music to go with it haha.

I think this will help a lot to bring people together and throw parties and be a really neat social feature that might really be something that actually works and has a big impact.

If the whole entire streaming system is a bit to much or might cause to many issues then it's something worth checking into in the ideas down the road.. Some kind of ABC Notes in the game and be able to create and save songs and maybe even save them onto data chips and trade and collect songs and such..

Who knows I think we you add music to a game and let players have some kind of control your adding a very unique and social feature that tends to do a pretty good job.

Sorry for the wall of text and I'm a not a perfect person nor am I ever right but I would love to hear your ideas related to this and hopefully keep the topic on a positive spin :)

EDIT: After some chat on Reddit it seems though the streaming is cool that issues I had talked about might be bigger problems.. A lot of people liking the idea of adding some kind musical system in game sort like how LOTRO did the ABC note stuff..

I actually did that one time myself and did the following video through a text file. Be neat to have such a thing almost server side where the players could maybe trade it with other create or collect your own collection music and play it in a jukebox haha.

2. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

As someone said on IRC, a DJ plugin / furniture with functionality.

Personally I would not want this anywhere but at the house. Good game music adds to the game and immersion, if I want to listen to something else outside my housing facility, I'd turn on spotify.

But I could see it as a housing item.
    Zwipe likes this.
  3. Kane Hart

Kane Hart New Cupcake

Yeah I agree there. I was thinking more by the player own Buildings in the main world not as much as the random sockets but I could seeing it getting really bad and your right there.

I was thinking more like Clan owns this town they captured etc etc... And they could run DJ night play music and such for everyone.
  4. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

I can already see it.

"<Rocks'da'house> is looking for more members. We do weekly pvp warfronts Wednesday, Thurdays and Saturdays and path teams on Sundays. If you a into progression PVP and death metal, send me a tell in game." - CarcASS, chief of recruitment

j/k
    Kane Hart likes this.
  5. Jojin

Jojin Cupcake-About-Town

Music is cool but the streaming aspect has a lot of problems from copyright to bandwidth.

As an alternative it would be cool to have some functional musical furniture. Perhaps mounting or sitting it it brought up a number of chords someone could play. Then the truly creative folks could make their own band.
  6. Zwipe

Zwipe Cupcake

City of Heroes had 'The Cape', which was pretty much a player run radio station. They had DJ events, played requested songs, did a player roll call for those hanging out with the DJ, even had guild commercials, lol. I think it would be cool if a group of people did that for the game. It's a futuristic setting so it wouldn't be too out of place.
  7. Castagere

Castagere New Cupcake

A player run radio station would be cool. Didn't AO have something like that? It was called Stream or something like that. I remember listening to it alot when playing.
  8. Yakzan

Yakzan "That" Cupcake

That would be the Gridstream. I've never listened to it myself but it was certainly very popular.
  9. Miatog

Miatog Cupcake-About-Town

TSW still has Gaia Live running. I'm sure we'll have a player run radio station, I'd honestly be surprised if we didn't.
  10. BonusStage

BonusStage Well-Known Cupcake

Copy Right infrigiment guys, WSO is a game that is going to be played World Wide, those kind of features are a nightmare to deal with.

Each country has diferent rules and laws, in some countrys some states have diferent laws and rules.
  11. Gronky

Gronky Cupcake-About-Town

Having some in game mp3 player which could be set to play specific music in specific time or game situation would be great. Like for example special music when we KO dominion scum.
  12. AcidBaron

AcidBaron "That" Cupcake

Gridstream was mostly popular do to their events what are/were mostly RP based, but not exclusive, they also worked together with ARK's (advisors of rubi ka) what were essentially player game moderators with a heavy RP undertone.

Such a program -if- a highly active group is interested in would be nice, ARK greeters always did a lot to get people into the game from the start.

Making the Radio show to be hosted externally i don't think much can be done against such internet radios?
    but yes i do know how absurd certain countries (mine included) 'author protect agencies' are.
    Regardless it's a nice touch in this day and age to do item hands out on, but as stated before to get things like gridstream up and running you need a very good solid and active team that i have yet to see elsewhere (think lotr has something similar)
  13. kur1

kur1 Cupcake-About-Town

Can't think of a more immersive experience than Ke$ha playing in someone's living room.

EDIT: To elaborate on this feature's downsides, let me say that this would force their team to patch in functionality that could be easily mimicked by a) running Winamp/iTunes/Pandora or b) having someone in your guild run a DJ account on Ventrilo/TS/Mumble.

There are so many ways this feature- especially if streamed to others- could break immersion and annoy people. There are considerably less ways this actually adds to anything. The existing software players have more than fill this need, and do it in a way that doesn't interfere with other players' experiences.
  14. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

I would LOL hard if I arrived at someone's house and heard Ke$ha playing.

Immersion breaking? Absolutely. Hilarious as well? Undoubtedly.