1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

How did you hear about Wildstar?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Zybak, Apr 5, 2013.

1. Zybak

Zybak Cupcake-About-Town

Seeing as how Wildstar hasn't really advertised or hyped up anything (which is good). I was just wondering how you guys heard about the game. One of my YouTube subs told me to take a look at the game, like literally one guy.

Not that many people seem to know about the game, was wondering how you guys found out about it? I think it's probably good for people to discover the game than to hear about it. People don't have expectations if they discover it.
    Ibslihibovic likes this.
  2. Zybak

Zybak Cupcake-About-Town

that awkward moment when you forget to put a question mark at the end of the thread title...My OCD is going to make my head explode :eek:
  3. Draegan

Draegan Cupcake

I played the game in 2011 at PAX Prime.
  4. Aheadache

Aheadache Well-Known Cupcake

My wife told me about it when we were looking for a new game. She said I needed to find out about it way before we got into GW2. Then I noticed it on MMORPG.com and have been watching like a hawk.
  5. Ego13

Ego13 Cupcake-About-Town

This minus the wife part, I'm generally the one showing her games.
  6. Phakz

Phakz Cupcake-About-Town

So, back when I was into SWTOR (Like 2 years before it came out) I listened to a podcast call TORWars. Long story short it got really popular and they started interviewing people from the Bioware SWTOR team and I would follow those people on twitter. Actually, I followed like everyone from SWTOR on Twitter HAHA. Well, when I found out several of the staff was being laid off from SWTOR I remember TORWars talking about the lay offs and how it sucked. One individual from SWTOR Staff was let go (I won't say who without permission from them) and then came to Wildstar and so I checked it out to support them. That is how I became interested in Wildstar. :)

P.S.
    I want that person to know they are freaking AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!! :p
  7. Lsya

Lsya Cupcake-About-Town

I just happened to login to the swtor forums last week to see what all has been going on. I don't get on there much anymore.

Someone posted a thread about how Wildstar has housing and swtor doesn't. I checked out the link and thought....meh. Another cartoony MMO.

Then I started watching the videos and learning more about it and got hooked really bad. :) Now I really want to play this game!

I'd given up on NCSoft after they killed Tabula Rasa and later on CoX. Other than that swtor thread, I'd never heard of Wildstar.
  8. Wreck

Wreck Cupcake-About-Town

I started googling for an MMORPG after I had quit WoW and was left with what seemed like infinite free time, and there was WildStar in one of those "most anticipated games of 2013" videos. Ever since I have been camping WSC, twitter, facebook, WSO, and my email.
    ruff_ethereal and Aheadache like this.
  9. Malorak

Malorak Cupcake-About-Town

Some kid posted that WoW may be cool but he wants different content from the youtube channel we was commenting on - He wanted to see more Wildstar.

...Well, I checked it out. Pretty boss. Do want. Like, now.
  10. Haversham

Haversham Cupcake-About-Town

I heard about it on the MMO-Champ forums as a game that's supposed to be very similar to vanilla WoW in difficulty, but in a scifi setting.
  11. OGee

OGee New Cupcake

Yo Yo Yo Zybak I heard about the game from watching your channel of course!
  12. Zybak

Zybak Cupcake-About-Town

:D
  13. Azzurri

Azzurri Podcaster

Saw it on Massively way back when in 2011.
  14. Mephisto

Mephisto New Cupcake

I found out about Wildstar by accident... I was googling how many MMO's have player housing and a youtube video post in GW2 forums came up referencing housing in WS. Watched the video and was like WTF is this game?? Did some more searching and found home base. Ended up watching every video and called my gaming buds. Hooked, line and sinker :)
  15. SirRobin

SirRobin Cupcake-About-Town

I think it was a convention video I found on youtube in 2011? Maybe it was thread over at mmoc about that video. Been long enough that I'm not sure anymore.
  16. Coblago

Coblago New Cupcake

Did a google search of upcoming MMOs and noticed the cartoon art style really stood out. So many games are trying to be more realistic, but sometimes I really just want to live inside a comic book.
  17. TehTic

TehTic Cupcake

Originally I ran across the Dominion video. Honestly this video left me not really caring for the game. As that I felt a bit lost, it seems the video just provided me background on one fraction and I was like okay what does this tell me about the game. I think I was more turned off than anything. Last month I think I was reading MMORPG and scene the game again. At this time I figured I would look a little more into the game and ran across "What is Wildstar", and after watching this video I was like Fing WOW!!! Such great marketing and manipulation of getting the information across, I could not resist following it up. And here I am.
  18. Witless

Witless "That" Cupcake

Whenever the initial video cam out, 2011? I saw it and thought it was humorous. Started looking at it and liked what i was seeing. Then Carbine made a song out of a Poem Dyraele wrote and I knew these were the devs for me!

Traitors Whim
  19. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

I found it on mmorpg.com. Hooked from moment one!
  20. Zinn

Zinn Cupcake-About-Town

I heard about the game in 2009 when it did not have a name. I read something somewhere about ex wow devs forming Carbine in 2005 to make their unannounced game. I think what started me looking was hearing about the Vanguard Diplomacy Dev, I believe Steve Williams, joining Carbine but that might have been after the fact. I joined CarbineCentral shortly after hearing about the game in 2009. Eventually Carbine Central closed and changed its name to WSC after Carbine announced the games name in 2011.

I recall reading some really good info about the game in 2009 with a focus on crafting and raiding. There as a lot of promise and hope then with the quality of the devs associated with the game and the vision they were expressing. But then there were a couple of years of hearing almost nothing and I grew a bit pessimistic. Its only recently that we have seen the flood of information along with the hope and promise of what could be that many saw in 2009.